Minnesota's Lost Picks

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by scorbutic, Jan 20, 2004.

1. scorbutic

scorbutic JBB JustBBall Member

You ever wonder what Minnesota actually lost with that whole Joe Smith fiasco? Well I sure did, so I compiled a list of players that Minnesota could have gotten in the '01 and '02 draft... they will lose this year's draft pick too.

2001 Draft (18th pick)
    ------------------
    Jason Collins
    Zach Randolph
    Brendan Haywood
    Gerald Wallace
    Jamaal Tinsley
    Tony Parker
    Gilbert Arenas (2nd rounder)
    Mehmet Okur (2nd rounder)

Who they PROBABLY would have picked : Brendan Haywood

* I put Garald Wallace on the list because I am still really high on him. He's got freakish athletic ability, and is one of the best dunkers in the league. If he learns how to shoot, he could be good. I think the Wolves would have picked Haywood cause they usually draft centers, and he was the best on the board... obviously in hind sight, Randolph would be the best pick... the should-be all-star this year is playing well in Portland, I think teams were scared off by his weight, but he's lost a few pounds since college.

2002 Draft (24th pick)
    ------------------
    Frank Williams
    Dan Dickau
    Dan Gadzuric (2nd rounder)
    Carlos Boozer (2nd rounder)
    Ronald Murray (2nd rounder)

Who they PROBABLY would have picked : Chris Jefferies

* I think they would have taken Jefferies and converted him to a 2... they had Brandon, Billups, and Avery at point, so they probably wouldn't have taken Williams or Dickau. Their only decent SGs was Peeler and Billups if you put him there. Again looking back they'd take Flip Murray... he'd solve their SG problem in a few years, but then again Sprewell did that [​IMG]

I don't think Minnesota can complain though, they have Garnett, Cassell, Sprewell, and Olowokandi. Besides that deal may have worked out well for them... the Joe Smith contract was voided, I know they resigned him the year after that, but I think it was at a discount level. Then by dealing him and getting Cassell... lots of problems and it leads to Smith playing next door in Milwaukee anyway!!

2. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Good stuff.

Can't believe all this over Joe Smith. They were confident that they could get the best out of him, that worked out well [​IMG]

3. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

I would've skipped on Jason Collins myself, a big man, shooter, with no effort or defensive ability, just pure size. Interesting article thanks for sharing, we also lost Gill. Although that was through a trade rather then the draft. I can't believe we could've had Arenas and Randolph, they're such hard workers, blood sweat and tears, they've would've added perfectly to the all skill, all effort mentality of the Timberwolves.

4. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

Interesting to look at. Imagine the Timberwolves with Zach Randolph (If I remember correctly, Mchale raved about him when he was coming out of high school and considering going pro) and Dan Gadzuric! They would be DEEP with those two guys.

Cassel
    Spreewell
    Garnett
    Randolph
    Olowakandi

Hudson
    Hassel
    Gadzuric
    Hoiberg
    Trent
    Madsen

5. kevinduncan_21

kevinduncan_21 JBB JustBBall Member

dont forget stephon marbury

6. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kevinduncan_21:</div><div class="quote_post">dont forget stephon marbury</div>

They traded him away anyway. Had nothing to do with the Joe Smith deal. don't forget Wally on the bench too though!

7. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kevinduncan_21:</div><div class="quote_post">dont forget stephon marbury</div>

I don't think that would've been a good idea, he's a great player and unselfish but he's a top dog. He'd never take second string to KG, meaning as the star player.

8. starman85

starman85 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Magic Johnson:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think that would've been a good idea, he's a great player and unselfish but he's a top dog. He'd never take second string to KG, meaning as the star player.</div>

It was an excellent idea, and it worked great for two seasons. It was Marbury and Garnett that led Minnesota to its first two playoff appearances, and people were tabbing them the new Stockton and Malone(although that tag also got stuck on Payton-Kemp, Anderson-Coleman, and Hardaway-O'Neal before them). The reason it didn't work out eventually is that Stephon wanted to be top dog, and wanted to play closer to home, but while the experiment existed it was very fun to watch. Thinking of the possibilities is tantalyzing.

9. okaforever

okaforever JBB JustBBall Member

OT: i wish they never traded ray allen away for steph in the first place.

10. starman85

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting okaforever:</div><div class="quote_post">OT: i wish they never traded ray allen away for steph in the first place.</div>

The ironic thing was that they did it for the most part at Garnett's prompting, owing back to his childhood(or teenage, rather) friendship with Starbury. In retrospect, I'm sure he regrets it to some degree, and they could have picked up a top notch point in either Jason Terry or Andre Miller in '99 instead of drafting Wally.

11. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting starman85:</div><div class="quote_post">The ironic thing was that they did it for the most part at Garnett's prompting, owing back to his childhood(or teenage, rather) friendship with Starbury. In retrospect, I'm sure he regrets it to some degree, and they could have picked up a top notch point in either Jason Terry or Andre Miller in '99 instead of drafting Wally.</div>

I would still pick Wally over Terry or Miller. Marion and Maggette were also avalible, and those two both turned out better than Wally [​IMG]

12. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Phreeze:</div><div class="quote_post">I would still pick Wally over Terry or Miller. Marion and Maggette were also avalible, and those two both turned out better than Wally [​IMG]</div>

Thats a tough call. Terry is slacking off in Atlanta big time because he wants out, but he has proven to be a 20 point, 7 assist player. Miller has already lead the NBA in assists and is now on one of the better all around teams in the NBA.

I take them both over Waldo.

13. Aaron

Aaron JBB JustBBall Member

I try and forget about that stuff but I guess it did bring Sam Cassell to Minnesota. So I guess thank you Joe Smith

14. starman85

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Phreeze:</div><div class="quote_post">I would still pick Wally over Terry or Miller. Marion and Maggette were also avalible, and those two both turned out better than Wally [​IMG]</div>

I gotta agree with KJ about Terry and Miller, for precisely the same reasons. But I agree with you about Maggette and Marion. I mentioned those other 2 instead because i was speaking to the logic of the Wolves needing a point guard in the absence of Marbury. Hypothetically, of course.