Shawn Kemp.

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by Blinger0723, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Blinger0723

Blinger0723 JBB JustBBall Member

who else had a tear in there eye when they saw the highlights yesterday from all star saturday? He was so good and just wasted it all on drinking.

2. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Blinger0723:</div><div class="quote_post">who else had a tear in there eye when they saw the highlights yesterday from all star saturday? He was so good and just wasted it all on drinking.</div>

I loved Kemp. I was watching some old All-Star games from the mid-90's on ESPN Classic this morning and was reminiscing of the good old days with him, Baker, Hardaway, G.Robinson, and Hill. He was certainly ahead of his time... damn the lockout.

3. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Damn Jim McIlvaine and damn Seattle management.

4. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

I loved Kemp as well...and yeh, the McIlvaine fiasco was horrible...It all went downhill after that for Kemp...him and Payton were one of the best duos in NBA history, imo...

5. OgShowtime

OgShowtime JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Blinger0723:</div><div class="quote_post">who else had a tear in there eye when they saw the highlights yesterday from all star saturday? He was so good and just wasted it all on drinking.</div>

...and eating, and eating, and having illigitimate kids...and eating. Yeah, Rainman was great in his day, he even had some game left when he got shipped to Cleveland. After that everything just fell apart for him. I used to work with his cousin at a local car dealership a while back, he said Shawn was a good enough guy, but due to his lack of discipline had predicted his downfall after learning of his trade to the Cavs. If he really was family, which I believe he was, dude was right on target. Another guy that could have used two or three years of college - he might have been much better off these days...

6. Glen Infante

Glen Infante JBB Trend Setter

Kemp was my all time favorite player back in the day, I used to sport the ugly Sonics jerseys as well as his ugly zebra shoes. When he was traded to Cleveland i was so excited that he was playing here along with Z and Person. Lots of controversy surrounded him his 2nd year w/ the Cavs. It got to his head.

7. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

I never really saw much of Kemp except highlight reels. The only true games I saw were the ones when he had finally lost it and become the mediocre player that he is today.

All these stories of him usually bring a tear to my face and move me. This is one of the sadder stories in the NBA. So little can ruin so much, so little can break so much. All of it wasted....he could've been so much more. I would've at least wanted him to play well enough for a period of time that would allow his number to be retired and for him to become a legend.

But that's not gonna happen. I have to be realistic. However I do admire him, he tried hard and partially succeeded. He's off it now. Look at Baker, he never did what Kemp and Mullin did. Although it ruined him, he's more of a man than Baker will ever be now. Long live Kemp.