Malone Cleared To Practice

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Lakers' started by Linkin, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Linkin

Linkin JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Karl Malone is close to returning to the Los Angeles Lakers after being cleared Thursday to practice without restrictions.

Malone sprained a ligament in his right knee Dec. 21 and landed on the injured list for the first time in his career.

He has said he'd like to play Monday, when the Lakers visit the Utah Jazz, his former team.</div>

Link

This is good news for the Lakers.Malone is a vital part of the Lakers' success.

2. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

Bout damn time...has been a while since there was actually some good news in Lakerland as far as off-court issues. Once he's back on the court for a couple of weeks, the Lakers will be THE most dangerous team in the league, like they were earlier in the season before they were killed by injuries.

3. Kobe Krazy

Kobe Krazy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Purple N Gold:</div><div class="quote_post">Bout damn time...has been a while since there was actually some good news in Lakerland as far as off-court issues. Once he's back on the court for a couple of weeks, the Lakers will be THE most dangerous team in the league, like they were earlier in the season before they were killed by injuries.</div>

You never know... we all thought the Lakers would beat the Hawks, with hardly any effort.

It's really getting to me how lazy these highly-payed 'professional' Basketball players can be. Then you wonder why i'm such a Kobe fan, at least someone has heart.

Our Junior High School team had more solid defense then the Lakers. No free shots, lots of hands in proper faces. That's pretty sad. (And no, i'm not saying the Junior High team could have beat the Lakers.) [​IMG]

4. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Wasn't Malone expected to miss like 3 games when he first got injured? His age is catching up with him.

5. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">Wasn't Malone expected to miss like 3 games when he first got injured? His age is catching up with him.</div>

He was expected to miss 2-3 weeks originally, they misdiagnosed or something.. The first MRI was taken around the knee, and there was nothing they could find from that. A few weeks after he was still in pain and they took another MRI, they found out there was something wrong with him, and it didn't show up on the first MRI because it was right under the bottom of the MRI picture. This is what I've heard, atleast.

6. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

Well, what had happened was that Malone was originally mis-diagnosed by the Laker training staff...They told Malone that his injury was a knee sprain, and that he could rehabilitate it almost immediately...so that's what malone did; he went into intense training only to see his knee get worse....

So after a month and still unrecovered, Malone went to get a second opinion where it was determined he had a tear, not a sprain...in the case of a tear, he was suppose to rest it and be gentle for a long period of time, but of course, he thought it was a sprain so he tried to rehab it and instead made the injury worse....

Basically, age was probably one factor, but the Laker training staff is much to blame for Malone's extended absence....Malone has gone on record and said he has no hard feelings towards the laker staff...

7. Stockton

Stockton JBB

This was the Mailman's first major injury, and the only time he went on the IL in his whole career. He's a true NBA ironman. I hope he gets back in time for the Monday 8th game at Utah. I've had that marked down since the season schedule come out. He already missed the first game at Utah.

8. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Thanks for clearing that up guys.[​IMG]

9. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

If he comes back Monday, that will be the best thing that could happen to them. They really need him back. They have been hurting like no other without him in the lineup.

10. Emo

Emo Active Member

I've heard reports saying Malone will be listed as doubtful for the Jazz game in Salt Lake City. Says he wants to be at 100% strength rather than at 75%. So that's pretty much understandable.

11. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Well, either way, if he plays or not, the fact that he's finally going back to practice is really good. He needs to get healthy soon. So, it's still a very good sign that he's at least contemplating on coming back Monday. But, I do understand that he would like to come back at 100%. Cause, at 75%, that means you're still playing at least a little hurt and that would lead to greater chance of agrivating the injury and putting him back on the shelf for possibly even longer.

12. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

When Malone comes back let the domination begin....again.

13. the MDE

the MDE JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CourtVision:</div><div class="quote_post">When Malone comes back let the domination begin....again.</div>

Amen! This is great news for the Lakers and their fans of course! [​IMG]

I hope he is able to come back against Utah, but I also want him to be about 100% when he comes back to make that final stretch run for the playoffs..

14. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

This is great news, Malone should be back real soon, so I am also expecting Devean George to play better, he played so well with Malone and then he didnt play that well when he went down.

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

BAD NEWS -- Malone suffers set back

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Los Angeles Lakers star Karl Malone, who has been out of action since the end of December, will have to wait another week before making his return to the NBA, it was reported.

"I have waited for three months, so I can wait another week," Malone, who was hoping to be back in action in time to face his former club the Utah Jazz on Monday, told the Los Angeles Times.

Now coach Phil Jackson will be looking to bring back the veteran for the games against the LA Clippers on March 17 and 19.</div>

Official Article:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=afp-...v=afp&type=lgns

16. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

oy, Injuried are killing us...Kobe out for 4 Malone out for another week...But we still have the Big Fella and GP.

17. Emo

Emo Active Member

I can wait for another week, and trust me it'll be better for Karl Malone to sit back for these games. We're better off having him 100% fresh than with him struggling from the field during games.