Best Basketball Video Game

Discussion in 'Warriors Lounge' started by Custodianrules2, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

What is the best basketball video game out on the market? I heard from players that ESPN NBA 2k4 is the one to get.

I've played EA sports NBA Live type games before and wasn't really happy at all with the cheating CPU players, the static player movement and the control configuration. Like for instance, when you're trying to take a charge, the very same button to take a charge is the same as the "shoot" button (you can't change the offense/defense control sets apparently). So whenever the ball happens to become in your posession while your player "is taking a charge" your guy launches the ball from wherever he's standing because the control sets switch from defense to offense as soon as you grab the ball. So you can imagine how enranged one can become to actually have one of your teamates actually play defense and steal the ball, only for it to be launched by that player (now controlled by you) downcourt and back to the other team.

Then the foul calls are outrageous with the amount of contact that goes on. My Brian Cardinal guy goes for a dunk and gets hacked by three guys and gets laid out on his back with the missed dunk and the no foul call. The team's passing, shooting, defense becomes noticeably horrible when you start scoring on them big time too. Nobody moves when I'm trying to set someone up for a play and the playcalling reaction time is slow resulting in a near shotclock violation. Nobody sets picks where they should or sets screens where they should at times. There's too many blocks per game and there's no way people can move that fast to contest a defender 10 feet away from him. Plus, Jrich got 10 blocks, and he could shoot perfect free throws which I know is impossible. Another time, Shaq shoots a 3 pointer in this one game to win by one point in hard mode. absolutely bogus. Plus on a 3-1 or 2-1 fastbreak some of my guys stopped moving thinking I was going to take it all the way and the slower defenders that were following suddenly run you down right away even if you're fastest guy with the ball down the court. Guys miss easy uncontested layups when you're schooling the other team and you've clearly selected the option to not allow the CPU to try to interfere and keep the scores even. Oh yes the passing sucks! My idiot of a point guard (no matter what point guard I use) always manages to turn the ball over passing it at chest level through 3 defenders getting it intercepted. I've got big men like Yao Ming and Shaq on my team and somehow the idiot passers decide to bounce pass and chest pass low to him in the post when there's a guy right in front of him. You lob it up high if you've got the height advantage! I guess there's no way to control that. But yes the passes should be high when passing across defenders so they don't get intercepted. The defense is just god awful. Did I mention this already?

Oh and one last thing is the one where one of my guys is standing on the baseline with the ball. The defender takes a swipe at him, makes contact and pushes him out of bounds causing a turnover. Wow, I thought that was called a foul instead its ruled a turnover! Too bad you can't get computer Musselman to argue with the computer ref about the bad call and get T'ed up and possibly thrown out of the game like he does in real life.

2. kobeonfire

kobeonfire JBB JustBBall Member

I don't like NBA Live, the gameplay is unrealistic and seems fake almost all the time. No way that the players actually do 360 dunks in the lane. If I want all style, I'll play NBA Street, thank you very much. Give me a damn realistic game. NBA live used to be the best, and now they killed it.

3. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I could believe Jrich and some others could do those crazy video game dunks if they wanted to risk the humilation of the possibly missing them.

Remember that game NBA Jam? It kind of reminds me of that arcade style of play where you can just shove and elbow people and do these wild dunks where you jump off the screen. Totally unrealistic.

4. Bez Koske

Bez Koske JBB JustBBall Member

I like the ESPN one.