The new USA dream team

Discussion in 'Warriors Lounge' started by Custodianrules2, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Who would you select as this year's dream team?

Here's my list:

starting rotation
    Shaq Diesel - C
    Brad Miller - PF (Jermaine O'neil is awesome but Miller can hit those outside shots consistently and keep the paint clear, he's solid in everything else including D)
    Kevin Garnett - SF (okay so he can't shoot 3's on offense consistently, but he's going to defend well against those international 7 foot freaks that are dead accurate from the perimeter)
    Tracy McGrady - SG
    Kobe Bryant - PG (why not he's like Lebron with the passing and ballhandling and he can actually play defense)

Bench

Ron Artest/Paul Pierce (can be 2 guard or forward. I think Artest would be the better role player because he doesn't require a lot of touches but Paul Pierce can be damn fun in the 4th and he's a good defensive player)
    Baron Davis/Marbury/Jason Kidd/Sam Cassell (Probably Jkidd or Baron Davis for the defense and better point guard skills)
    Michael Redd (the best pure shooting two guard in the league taking the place of Allan Houston)
    Ben Wallace/Elton Brand? (the team doesn't need more scorers like Brand so Wallace is the better role player with his all out defensive abilities, although Brand ain't bad in the defensive department in rebounding and shotblocking)
    Jermaine O'neil (a power forward that is more like a center)
    Cliff Robinson/Lamar Odom (probably cliff because he's the best frontcourt defender in the league according to Kevin Garnett. Can guard and play as center, power forward, and small forward and is able to hit the 3 ball. Can pass well and is unselfish. Lamar however, isn't bad passing and he's an all around type of player like KG, but you've already got KG on the team)

I.R.: Up for grabs. I'm really not big on Rashard Lewis because of his inconsistency and tendency to settle for jumpers rather than to use his athleticism more, but he's the tallest, most athletic small forward I can think of that can bury a 3 point shot that would be good just in case. Keith Van Horn can shoot well at times but he is streaky as well and too slow to play good defense. Maybe Mike Miller or Shane Battier possibly or Richard Jefferson, Shawn Marion.

For coach I'd probably select Stan Van Gundy. Because the Miami heat was a joke at the beginning of the season and suddenly they are on an even record to make the playoffs. Stan really saved the franchise because it seemed Pat Riley picked a inopportune time to quit as head coach right before the beginning of the season!

2. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

I like your starting line up but I would have Tim Duncan at the 4, Kobe Bryant at the 2, and Jason Kidd at the point.

3. Custodianrules2

I guess Virgin Islands does count since its U.S. Territory. I thought a person had to be born in the states to be able to play for the American team because Tim Duncan was born outside the states.

4. jayserinos99

jayserinos99 JBB JustBBall Member

I think Duncan does count. I looked up his bio from nba.com and he was eligible to play in the 2000 olympics.

5. Ankle Breaker

Ankle Breaker JBB JustBBall Member

alright...well here would be my dream team, i dont think kobe runs the 1, he's a scorer...brad miller, no...tim duncan or Kevin Garnett...at the 4...i'll give my line up and not confuse you

PG-Jason Kidd(no contest...)
    SG-Kobe Bryant
    SF-Personally, i'd take vince over tmac, he's more of a team baller and his defense is better.
    PF-Kevin Garnett or Tim duncan
    C-Well, shaq, of course.

PG-There is nobody who can run the point like JKIDD. He does it all, and still scores 20 while looking to pass other than shoot.

SG-Kobe. There is no better scorer, and no one more consistant as a two guard. He also can bring some assists and he knows where to get the ball into shaq.

SF-Vince. If he's not hurt, he's twice as effective as mcgrady....he may not score as much, but he's far more stable and goes 100% no matter what.

PF-KG. Kevin Garnett, he's got the size, the athleticism, and the consistancy to be great. He also has olympic basketball experience. The same goes for tim duncan, they can be interchangable.(i picked KG cuz i dont like tim duncan, if you really want to know how anybody could not like tim duncan just ask me.)

C-Shaq! come on now, who is better at shaq. He'll score 30, get 20 rebounds, and have a block party at the post. He's been doing it for years, and nobody does it better.

Now, for the bench!

PG-Baron Davis. A bigger pg with athletecism and strength, he's just like having a second jkidd, only a little bigger and not quite as unselfish.

SG-This one's kinda tough. I'm going to have to say marbury is gonna be the best for this position, it never hurts to have a second or third handler on the floor.

SF-Paul pierce, need i say more? He's clutch, and he has crazy scoring ability. To back it up, he's 6'8 and is a good defensive player.

PF-It's gonna be one of the two starters. Duncan or KG.

C-I dont know for sure on this one, im going to have to say ben wallace. You could also use him as a PF on the floor with Shaq. Nobody plays defense and rebounds like ben wallace.

well, there you go, thats what the breaker thinks about the dream team.

6. Custodianrules2

Since when is Paul Pierce 6'8"? And whatever opinion you have about Brad Miller is fine by me, but I think he's worthy. He can pass, rebound, hit the perimeter shots, shoot free throws and get a triple double just about, which is what you want if you're running the ball through shaq. You need those efficient starters. You are probably right about Kobe not distributing the ball as starting point guard, but it would be fun to have him there since he can pass pretty well off the dribble and just score a lot.

And T-mac plays better D than Vince. You gotta be joking if you think that Vinsanity is a better defensive player than T-mac. Plus, you're assigning a lot of SF's that are supposed to be true shooting guards. Are you trying to go with a running game or a half court game? There has to be someone that has the size/length to contest those 7 foot small forwards from Eastern Europe (and China). Because those country's teams are packed with these young, very tall shooters at the 3 spot. Look at some of the scouting reports for various countries and you'll see what I mean.

7. Ankle Breaker

Ankle Breaker JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Since when is Paul Pierce 6'8"? And whatever opinion you have about Brad Miller is fine by me, but I think he's worthy. He can pass, rebound, hit the perimeter shots, shoot free throws and get a triple double just about, which is what you want if you're running the ball through shaq. You need those efficient starters. You are probably right about Kobe not distributing the ball as starting point guard, but it would be fun to have him there since he can pass pretty well off the dribble and just score a lot.

And T-mac plays better D than Vince. You gotta be joking if you think that Vinsanity is a better defensive player than T-mac. Plus, you're assigning a lot of SF's that are supposed to be true shooting guards. Are you trying to go with a running game or a half court game? There has to be someone that has the size/length to contest those 7 foot small forwards from Eastern Europe (and China). Because those country's teams are packed with these young, very tall shooters at the 3 spot. Look at some of the scouting reports for various countries and you'll see what I mean.</div>

just my opinion dude, just my opinion
    my bad, paul pierce aint 6'8 i posted that pretty late...

the only thing that got me about your lineup was kobe as PG
    i just say put JKIDD at pg and then let kobe play SG
    and then i decided to make my own team...

and yeah, seeing your argument you are right about the small forwards Vs the shooting guards, but i put them there cuz i thought kobe should be the sg...
    anyways, good night custodian my bad.

8. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ankle Breaker:</div><div class="quote_post">just my opinion dude, just my opinion
    my bad, paul pierce aint 6'8 i posted that pretty late...

the only thing that got me about your lineup was kobe as PG
    i just say put JKIDD at pg and then let kobe play SG
    and then i decided to make my own team...

and yeah, seeing your argument you are right about the small forwards Vs the shooting guards, but i put them there cuz i thought kobe should be the sg...
    anyways, good night custodian my bad.</div>

It's cool. I know Kobe at the 1 might not work in practice because in the nba 2's that play 1's don't really get the ball moving that well, but since its the Olympics maybe the players won't care who takes the shots as long as they're having fun and it makes the U.S. look good. It's got nothing to do with their contracts or the NBA for that matter so why would Kobe really demand the ball all the time like he does in the NBA. So Kobe at the 1 could be a possibility when all the players are just so good they toy around with the other team and do a lot of passing and score on every posession. The size and the speed of the starters would all be mismatches in favor of the U.S. team. I mean a 6'7 "point guard" that can shoot and pass and handle the ball and play defense would be cool.

9. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

TD and KG are the best players in the league. They have to be in the starting line up IMO.