Preview: Western Conference Semifinals Game 4 Spurs @ Lakers 5/11/04 (TNT)

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Lakers' started by Emo, May 10, 2004.

1. Emo

Emo Active Member

<div align="center">[​IMG]</div>

<font color="Gray"><font size="4"><div align="center">San Antonio Spurs </div> </font> </font> <font size="4"><div align="center">lead the series 2-1</div></font>
    <div align="center">[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]</div>
    <div align="center"><font color="Gray">San Antonio Spurs </font> @ <font color="Purple"> Los Angeles Lakers </font> </div>
    <div align="center">Time: 7:30 p.m. PT
    TV: TNT</div>

Head Coaches:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Gregg Popovich/Phil Jackson

<u>Probable Game 4 Starting Lineups:</u>

[​IMG] [​IMG] Tony Parker/Gary Payton
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Bruce Bowen/Kobe Bryant
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Hedo Turkoglu/Devean George
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Tim Duncan/Karl Malone
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Rasho Nesterovic/Shaquille O'Neal

Sixth Men
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Manu Ginobili/Derek Fisher

Injury Report

[​IMG]
    No injuries to report

[​IMG]
    No injuries to report

<u>Laker_Fever's Game 4 Prediction Matchups:</u>

<u>Point Guards</u>
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tony Parker really looked like a guy that was in Popovich's doghouse in the beginning of his career. Not only did he look horrible on his offensive possessions, but he couldn't create anything for his teammates. Parker and Pop will definitely make adjustments and better preparations for Game 4 as I look for Parker to keep doing what he's been doing throughout this series. Using his blazing speed and quickness to get to the basket. Even though the stats show that he only scored eight points, he still had his way with Gary Payton in terms of quicker penetration and coming off screens to find an open shot. Gary Payton finally broke out of his physical and mental slump by scoring 15 points, and if it wasn't for his teammates being physical with Parker, and sealing up all the holes that caused a huge disadvantage for him, and fouling him hard everytime he penetrated, who knows how much he would've scored yesterday afternoon? I would like to see Gary contain him one on one, it'll give him confidence knowing that he can shut down one of the quickest point guards in the league, and it'll ssilence the fans, media, and critics that have been destroying him in these 2004 playoffs. On the offensive end however, Gary has to keep using the low post to his advantage. I did see some glimpses of his outside shot falling, and that was indeed a good sign, but I feel he can't be consistent with it. The low post is where he has to operate and create damage, and if he's lucky receive a ton of outlet passes for an easy layup.
    Advantage Tuesday: Lakers

<u>Shooting Guards</u>
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The San Antonio Spurs will really need Bruce Bowen's intense, frustrating, lockdown style of defense on Kobe Bryant. He's one of the best defenders in the league, easily could've won the NBA's Defensive Player Of The Year award, and Spurs fans know when this guy plays defense on Kobe, he can sure make Kobe look pathetic and horrific on some of his offensive possessions. Bowen may not give you 20 points on consistent nights, but when it comes down to defense, this guy can definitely shut a player down. On the offensive side however, look for him to hang around the corner of the perimeter. He's always there with not a single defender on him, and percentage wise, he's one of the best three point shooters in the game today. The Lakers have difficulty guarding the perimeter, so if he gets going from the outside, look for somebody on that Laker bench to get hot. Kobe Bryant on the other hand had a fanstastic game. Not only did he instruct his teammates on the Laker possessions, he started draining his outside shots with precision, sharpness, and accuracy. He penetrated to the basket at times, and when he drove he drew contact, and fed his teammates that were wide open under the basket. Kobe has to continue playing this type of basketball in which he isn't selfish and wants to show up Bowen night after night, but to play like a team leader for 48 minutes.

<u>Small Forwards</u>
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This position still looks like a big problem for the San Antonio Spurs. Turkoglu is clearly struggling from the field, and it looks like he's carrying a Sacramento mentality in which he passes up open shots from the field. He is somewhat of an excellent outside shooter, but he does tend to pass up good looks at the basket, and instead he forces up ridiculous shots. For Devean George, he has to be aggressive. And if it takes him to drive hard to the basket and throw up a vicious dunk like he attempted in Game 3, so be it. Gary is bouncing back from his criticism, Kobe played like a team leader yesterday, Malone is contributing, and Shaq is once again finding dominance in his inside game, what about our fifth man? Devean, it's time to be the player you were in the beginning of the season, and take that mindset into Game 4.

<u>Power Forwards</u>
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Their ultimate weapon. This two time MVP can kill you with his inside game, and with his outside game in which he simply shoots that jumper off the glass. Karl Malone did an excellent job defending him yesterday afternoon. He didn't allow Duncan to use the isolation to his advantage, he stripped him several times during his possessions, and he harassed him to the point where Duncan just got very frustrated. His statistics tell the story. But this is Tim Duncan. You may have neutralized him the first time, but it's nearly impossible to stop him for a second time. Malone will definitely have his hands full. Karl Malone wasn't a factor offensively, but as I mentioned before, his defense will be key in this crucial game in which the Lakers have to win. He's going to have to display a replica of his defensive performance in Game 3 if the Lakers want to have a chance to tie this series up at 2 apeice.
    Advantage Tuesday: Spurs

<u>Centers</u>
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Shaq just looked like the vintage Shaq of old in these last two ballgames. Clearly dominating the paint area, not wasting any time at all to get into position and work his way to the basket, and being the Diesel he's capable of being. I look for him to repeat his 28 point performance with yet another monster game. Also, his free throw shooting wasn't too bad at all. At times, when he got into a consistent rhythm from the charity stripe, he was bending his knees and I actually saw a glimpse of a ball rotation as it swished through the net. That'll be the big question. Can Shaq knock down free throws at a consistent pace and put the Spurs in a big hole? Because Shaq realizes he'll receive a ton of opportunities at the line, and the Spurs in their minds think he'll miss a ton of shots, and with those misses, it'll keep the Spurs right in the thick of things. Shaq must practice for hours in the gym and start nailing some freebies. A very crucial part of his game. Rasho Nesterovic must be able to keep Shaq away from the paint. I know that might seem impossible knowing his offensive tear the last two ballgames, but he really has to try and prevent this from happening. If Shaq gets too deep in the paint and gets close to the basket, he'll have no choice but to foul him constantly. And sooner or later he'll be in foul trouble. Perhaps Popovich should consider using Malik Rose if Nesterovic gets into trouble. Malik always gives his 100% on Shaq, and it doesnt matter how big and strong Shaq is to Malik, he earns his paychecks, and takes the abuse.

<div align="center">Players To Watch Game 4
    [​IMG] [​IMG]</div>

<div align="center">Tim Duncan & Shaquille O'Neal</div>

<div align="center">Duncan: 22.3 pts, 13.20 rebs, 3.1 assists, 1.00 steals
    O'Neal: 21.5 pts, 11.50 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 0.00 steals</div>

Laker Fever's Prediction

With the Lakers playing their best basketball of the 2004 playoffs yesterday afternoon, with the energy, intensity, offensive and defensive contributions for 48 minutes of play, it'll be somewhat impossible for myself to go against the Lakers. So, Im going with the Lakers by 9 in this one.

2. MR_SAC_KING

MR_SAC_KING JBB JustBBall Member

Gonna be A Great Game Tommrow

If the Lakers played the way they did last night against the spurs...sounds like it will be very good for the Lakers

3. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

L.A. will continue the momentum they left game 3 with and Win this one by 6. The key in this game is Payton, can he have a follow up decent game. same with Shaq?

4. Undertakernv

Undertakernv JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MR_SAC_KING:</div><div class="quote_post">Gonna be A Great Game Tommrow

If the Lakers played the way they did last night against the spurs...sounds like it will be very good for the Lakers</div>
    I don't trust Kings fans that put the words "good" and "Lakers" in the same sentence...who are you really? :P

5. MR_SAC_KING

MR_SAC_KING JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Undertakernv:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't trust Kings fans that put the words "good" and "Lakers" in the same sentence...who are you really? :P</div>

Your Worst Nightmare if the Kings and Lakers win over there 2nd round oppoent's [​IMG] and play each other.LOL in the Western Conf Finals

Forgive me for wanting the Kings & The Lakers to go at it again in the Western Finals

Back to the Topic...The Spurs and the Lakers tend to make the games they play with each other,some of the best NBA Games peroid!!

6. the MDE

the MDE JBB JustBBall Member

Lakers by 7 but I will be satisfied with any sort of win as long as LA goes back to San Antonio in a 2-2 series..

7. ICED T

ICED T JBB JustBBall Member

I don't care if the win by 1 or 100 as long as they go to sanantonio with 2-2. but I would really like to San antonio to get killed on their home court.

8. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

I think the Lakers will get over confident and the Spurs will get an upset,I also dont expect Duncan to have two bad games in a row.Once the Spurs get back on their homecourt things will be a lot different.

9. Kobe=DaMAN

Kobe=DaMAN JBB JustBBall Member

Another great review.

Yes the Lakers MUST win this game. The Lakers can't afford to give any games up in LA. We need for Shaq and Kobe to perform the same way and also need for Malone to play that great defense on ducan again and we will come out with the win.

Lakers by 10

10. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I'm with Iced T on this. I don't care how much the Lakers win by, I just want to see them win. That's what matters. There's no way that they can go back to San Antonioe down 3-1. If that happens, might as well consider the series over.

11. E-bro92

E-bro92 JBB JustBBall Member

3-1?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Moo2K4:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm with Iced T on this. I don't care how much the Lakers win by, I just want to see them win. That's what matters. There's no way that they can go back to San Antonioe down 3-1. If that happens, might as well consider the series over.</div>

well consider the series over cause the LA FAKERS aint doing <font color="Red">EDIT--Please don't curse on here. Thanks Shapecity.</font> wow one game that proves that the lakers are gutless and lazy.

12. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

How in the hell does that game prove the Lakers are gutless and lazy? I'm sorry, but, last I knew, when you blow out a team by 22, you aren't playing lazy basketball. They played like the team that everyone thought they could be. They showed what they can do when they do decide to turn it on. They showed what happens when they don't play down to their opponents level and instead play at the level of intensity that they're capable of. When they do that, no team can beat them. So, I don't see what makes them gutless and lazy. A gutless and lazy team would have just bowed out. A gutless and lazy team wouldn't have fought back from a 19 point deficit to cut it down to what, 1 point in game 2. A gutless and lazy team wouldn't have absolutely destroyed the defending NBA Champs when they had their backs against the wall. So, next time you want to go call a team gutless and lazy, bring some facts to back it up. Cause the Lakers sure as hell aren't gutless and lazy. And, quite frankly, I think that game proves a lot of things. It proves that the Spurs can't beat them when they're at the top of their game. So, yea, just shut it next time you want to diss a team in their own forum.

13. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

Don't mind E-bro...he's just mad his kings are in the same 2-1 defecit...

14. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

Great job on the preview Laker_Fever. I really don't have a prediction on this game because with the Lakers you really don't know how they will show up attitude wise. I hope they come out with the energy like last game, but the Lakers just need to do a better job on the defensive boards.

15. eginobili20

eginobili20 JBB JustBBall Member

Yo, great preview, lakersfever. I have expected them to win after two road games. But to be honest why was it so easy for us to win that one? Wasnt it partly cause of SAs turnovers and low concentration? I dont think itll be very easy to win next game SA is gonna perform the best they can after the loss so we gotta, yeah do better in the defense like always. Btw, didnt u think payton was just great? He does need to get more minutes and more support from the team...

16. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The key to this game will be how fast the Lakers get out of the gate again. They were able to win Game 3 because they played at a high level from the start and made the game a lot easier for themselves. The Spurs are going to make a lot of adjustments in this game, and we won't see another blow out. The Spurs will also be out for the kill to try and close out the series in San Antonio instead of heading back 2-2. We should see early on how this game plays out, and hopefully we see the Lakers match the Spurs energy level and force this into a best of 3 series.

17. 30 standing ver

30 standing ver JBB JustBBall Member

By this preview the Lakers should win this handsdown. The only advantage the Spurs has is Duncan. I would hope that GP could contain TP 1 on 1. But I doubt that will happen and the Lakers we still have to help him like they did in game 2.

The Spurs will have made adjustments of course for this 4th game and every game is different so it's really not clear on who has the better advantages right now. They just need to keep feeding the ball to Shaq since he's playing a dominate series except for game 1.

The Spurs should be constantly doubling and triple teaming Shaq and hopefully the perimeter players can hit their shots. I say it will be a nail biting game but the Lakers should prevail.

Lakers by 2.

18. MustardMan

MustardMan JBB JustBBall Member

A little biased but....

I think the preview was well written. Other than you getting the edge for the Spurs/Lakers point guard wrong, it was alright. I thought TP definitely beats out Gary any time, any day. No offense to GP but he's just not the same defender he was a couple years ago.

I think the Spurs will win this one. And yes, I'm a Lakers fan. I just want to reestablish the karma so we'll be expecting less from the Lakers. If the game is a blowout, im drinking a 12 pack.

19. theclown1

theclown1 JBB JustBBall Member

I was waiting for this Preview. Another great one Lakersfever.

As everyone said if the Lakers come out with the same energy as game 3 we got ourselve a great game and perhaps another blowout. Like said before dont need a blowout but need to win.

I say Lakers by 5.

Malone same D as game 3 and CONTRAIN Parker. Hope that Manu has bad shot selection.

20. Emo

Emo Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MustardMan:</div><div class="quote_post">I think the preview was well written. Other than you getting the edge for the Spurs/Lakers point guard wrong, it was alright. I thought TP definitely beats out Gary any time, any day. No offense to GP but he's just not the same defender he was a couple years ago.</div>

Yeah, I gave the point guard edge to the Lakers not for Gary Payton's credit, but for the team defense that had Gary's back all afternoon in Game 3. If the Lakers can continue to seal up all the holes as he drives to the basket, and be physical with him all night, then the Lakers will have an edge.