Western Conference Semifinals Game 5 Preview- Lakers @ Spurs (ABC)

Discussion in 'San Antonio Spurs' started by Mamba, May 12, 2004.

1. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Preview: Western Conference Semifinals Game 5 Lakers @ Spurs 5/13/04 (ABC)

<div align="center">[​IMG]
    <font color="Blue"><font size="4">Series tied 2-2</font></font>
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    <font color="Purple">The Los Angeles Lakers</font>@<font color="Silver">The San Antonio Spurs</font>
    Time: 8:00 Eastern, 5:00 Pacific
    Place: SBC Center
    TV: ABC</div>

Head Coaches
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Phil Jackson/Gregg Popovich

Starting Lineups
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Gary Payton/Tony Parker
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Kobe Bryant/Bruce Bowen
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Devean George/Hedo Turkoglu
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Karl Malone/Tim Duncan
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Shaquille O'Neal/Rasho Nesterovic

Sixth Men
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Derek Fisher/Manu Ginobili

Injury Report
    <font color="purple"><u>Los Angeles
    </u></font>
    No Injuries known

<font color="silver"><u>San Antonio</u></font>
    No injuries known

<div align="center">Key Players in Game 5
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Parker: 20 points per game, 7 assists per game, and 2 rebounds per game
    Bryant: 25.8points per game, 6 assists per game, and 6.1 rebounds per game</div>

Matchup Breakdown
    PG: Tony Parker V. Gary Payton
    Parker has had the best of Payton in every game of the series, in fact, he has had his number all year. Payton is a step slower on defense and he is not producing on offense. On the other hand, Parker has just been fabulous. The French Phenom has average 20 and 7 for the playoffs and isnt letting anything deter him. Payton <u>MUST</u> have a productive game 5 because it is in San Antonio and L.A. is 0-2 there this series.
    Advantage: Spurs

SG:
    Bruce Bowen V. Kobe Bryant
    Bowen has done a relatively good job on Bryant this series. He has forced him to take too many shots, bad ones, and has been a thorn in Bryant's side. Bryant exploded in game 4 though for 42 points, leading the Lakers to victory. If he can mimick that overall performance would secure a win for the Lakers. I think Bowen will give him trouble though, he will force Kobe to get his points from the line and driving, he wont let him settle for the outside J. Kobe is the much better player and will need to be Mr. Clutch again. I love this matchup, it is exciting and gives the crowd the feel of a true NBA defensive matchup.
    Advantage: Lakers

SF:
    Hedo Turkoglu V. Devean George
    Devean George has been nonexistent this series, the same for Hedo. Hedo did come alive though in game 4 hitting some big 3s in the first half. Hedo will need to hit shots again in this game because the Spurs can't always rely on Duncan and Parker to carry them when Manu is not in the game. George needs to wake up, he started the season hot and just died. George needs to get to the foul line because sometimes that can wake a player up. If he can score a couple of baskets in this game it will help the Lakers a lot. I think the Spurs do have the advantage here though because Hedo so far has been a bigger threat to score.
    Advantage: Spurs

PF:
    Tim Duncan V. Karl Malone
    Tim Duncan's numbers were low in games 3 and 4 compared to games 1 and 2. Malone has done a great job defensively on him, but hasnt been contributing on offense much. He hit some shots early last night, but tailed off again. Tim Duncan did not get the ball as much as Pop wanted him too, and I believe it caused the Spurs the game, and it will eventually cost them the series. He will not get the ball as much as he should, and the Lakers will capitalize on that. Malone needs to step up the offense to help Kobe and Shaq out, because Payton's offensive game has just been horrendous. This is a great matchup between two of the games all time greats. San Antonio clearly has the advantage though seeing as how Duncan is a the 3rd best player in the league, behind Kobe and KG.
    Advantage: San Antonio

C:
    Rasho Nesterovic V. Shaq
    This isnt even a matchup. Shaq has dominated Rasho for 3 games in a row and will look to make it 4. Shaq is getting great position and is converting on that. In game 4, he also his his FTs. If he can do that again the Spurs will be defeated in this game because they wont be able to stop him. He is the most dominant player ever to play the game. Rasho took a lot of shots last game, and hit some. He needs to cut down on his shots and take more high quality ones for him to be effective.
    Advantage: Lakers

Keys to the Game
    <font color="Silver"><u>San Antonio:</u></font> There is clearly one key for them. That is get Duncan the ball. Pop wanted Duncan to get 25 shots in game 4, but he only got 13. The guards were not looking for him. Rasho took more shots than him, taking 14, and Ginobili, who comes off of the bench, took 12. If they want to win they need to go to Duncan.
    The Spurs also need to cool the Lakers off in the 3rd quarter. In the series, the Lakers have 44 more points than them in the third. That hurt the Spurs a lot in game 4. They need to correct their mistakes or L.A. will steal game 5 from them.

<font color="purple"><u>Los Angeles:</u></font> The main thing is that the Lakers come out at halftime with momentum, but it dies in the crucial part of the 4th quarter. They need to keep that momentum going the whole 2nd half. Malone has done a great job on Duncan defensively denying him the ball and he needs to continue doing so. Shaq made the Spurs pay for fouling him in game 4, have a very un-Shaq like experience at the FT line going 8-11. If he can continue hitting them when he gets to the line, he will be unstoppable. Rasho can not guard him, Duncan can not guard him, Horry cant guard him, Malik Rose cant guard him. Keven Willis is the only one who has the body to guard him, but Willis is not an everyday player.
    Kobe was also critical in game 4, taking over the 4th quarter. If he can take over the game when it is his turn, most likely the 4th, then the Lakers will win.

Q's Prediction
    I think the Lakers have all the momentum rolling their way, they will continue with it and win this game by 4.

2. 30 standing ver

30 standing ver JBB JustBBall Member

Great preview. The Spurs have a 3 2 advantage over the Lakers. But hopefully the bench can come up big for the Lakers, because the Lakers are all gonna have to come out collectively and contribute if they wanna pull out this 5th game and Kobe and Shaq can continue their dominate play. + the Momentum they have I got the Lakers by 6.

3. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

Deja Vu is a french term...therefore I spit on it....Lakers take game 5 and 6 [​IMG]

4. Undertakernv

Undertakernv JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 30 standing ver:</div><div class="quote_post">Great preview. The Spurs have a 3 2 advantage over the Lakers.</div>
    Actually its a tie series. 2-2

This game in San Antonio is the perfect opportunity to take one in San Antonio. The Lakers are playing especially energetic and it seems as if a little self doubt has slipped into the Spurs' locker room. If the Lakers can take this game then it will be all on the shoulders of Tim Duncan to pull out a road win at Staples, something they haven't accomplished all year.
    Lakers by 8.

5. KoBe BrYanT 8

KoBe BrYanT 8 JBB JustBBall Member

cant wait till thursday...big game for the Lakers....i think the lakers are gonna win it...they know san antonio's tactics now on how to guard tony Parker and Tim Duncan they are confident going into game 5.....its gonna be a tough one..but lakers are gonna pull it out because of Shaq And Kobe payton and malone FIsher Will Be the Unsung hero The lakers mainly needs to look out for other players that are deadly.. Bruce Bowen..Hedo Turkolu...manu Ginoboli...and former laker Robert HOrry my prediction on the score

98-92 Lakers over Spurs

6. Emo

Emo Active Member

Excellent preview QRich, and I wanna wish you a Happy 16th birthday. From one Laker fan to another.

What a game tomorrow will be. Series tied 2-2 apeice. A three game series. Anybody's series to win. Who's hungrier to take a 3-2 series lead? Who's on the verge of being eliminated?? All these come into place as the Lakers approach half-court for Game 5 @ San Antonio. In order for the Lakers to have success, one of the Spurs big pieces they must stop is Tony Parker. Even though Parker has only scored 26 points in two games at Los Angeles, Payton has still ahd difficulty keping up with him whether he comes off screens, or breezes past him in the halfcourt game, or the transition game. If Payton can't stay on him, I look for the Laker defense as a whole to have his back, and I'm talking about clogging up the middle when he penetrates, being very physical with him from the start, and fouling him hard and allowing him to earn his two points from the charity stripe.

Another area we have to look at is Kobe Bryant. Let's hope and pray Kobe is well-rested and ready to go for Game 5. What he has to do is continue his 42 point performance by consistently hitting his outside shot from either angles of the court. Kobe seemed unstoppable by the number of shots he was hitting last night, and I expect him to keep it up. Another thing he must do is penetrate hard to the basket and draw contact. Excellent things occured when he drove hard. It got Bowen and Ginobili on their heels, and it forced Duncan or Rasho to foul him hard. Plus it'll get the Spurs in early foul trouble and we'll earn our bonuses in no time. Karl Malone has to continue to pull the tricks out of the bag and defend Tim Duncan. Malone has had the upper hand in Games 3 and 4, and he's starting to develop confidence in himself that he can succeed again. He must disrupt, harrass, frustrate, and be very physical with him at all times. If Parker and Duncan can both be contained, we have a wonderful chance of elading this series heading back to LA for a Game 6. For my prediction, it'll be a tough one knowing that the Spurs play so consistent at home, and their crowd gives them so much spark, however the Lakers have been in this situation before last year in 2003, when the Spurs took a 3-2 lead and later on ended the series in Los Angeles. Kobe and Shaq remember that moment, and they want revenge. Lakers by 5.

7. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Undertakernv:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually its a tie series. 2-2
    </div>

HE meant by positions...Spurs have the advantage at 3 of the starting positions

8. Undertakernv

Undertakernv JBB JustBBall Member

Oh, that makes sense. It was kind of ambiguous... [​IMG]

9. Kobe=DaMAN

Kobe=DaMAN JBB JustBBall Member

Yes very good review and Happy 16th Birthday To you Q rich.

The Lakers have shown that they can play together as a team. Now its time to show the L what they will be facing after we win this series. If we play as a team and not get selfish we can steal this game. I can count on Parker abusing gary in game 5, but if we can keep Duncan in this slump we can win. Kobe will come up big if we need him of course but i am hoping that we blow them out.

Lakers by 10

10. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Great preview Q-Rich and happy b-day! This is going to be the grudge match game of the series and will put tremendous pressure on the loser. This game is more important to the Spurs, because they do not want to fall 3 games in a row and head to Los Angeles having to win on the road to stay alive. I expect them to be well prepared and focused for this game. Apparently the last game the team got to the Staples Center very late because of the infamous LA traffic, and they didn't get as much time to prepare as they would have liked. Duncan is playing hurt after taking some cheap blows by the Mailman. The last game the Spurs hurt themselves once Manu went to the bench. He was torching the Lakers in the game and no one on the court could keep him in front. The Lakers need to do a better job of rotating on him and Parker like they did in Game 3. The Lakers are in a position for a let down game here after two emotional home wins. Kobe and Shaq have been great in the two victories, and hopefully they can sustain it. It looks like Karl Malone has sacrificed his offense to focus his energy solely on Duncan the last 2 games, so the Lakers are going to need one more player to step up and score 12 to 15 a game so the Lakers don't have to rely on another 42 from Kobe & 28 from Shaq. However, if Kobe continues to play in attack mode, meaning driving to the basket, and Shaq is making free throws, the Spurs will have a hard time beating the Lakers. Like I said before, if Kobe and Shaq both play well the Spurs can't win.

11. purpleb0n9

purpleb0n9 JBB JustBBall Member

Great preview and happy birthday QRich [​IMG] My prediction is Game 5 between Lakers-Spurs will be played very tightly ala Timberwolves-Kings' Game 3... very very close... the Lakers are the team with the high momentum... but the Spurs will have their fans backing them too and the crowd WILL definitely go at it. Lakers by 3.

12. the MDE

the MDE JBB JustBBall Member

If 3 of the big 4 play well for Los Angeles, then Lakers will win..If neither Payton or Malone step up, then a guy like Slava Medvedenko will have to pour in 6-10 points off then bench for the Lakers to win.

Lakers by 4 on the road--maybe even closer! It should be a good one!!

13. eginobili20

eginobili20 JBB JustBBall Member

Happy bday qrich, and im confident lakers are gonna win this one man. They gotta win this one otherwise their chances to win at the end are a lot lower. Payton has to step up and we gotta play more team ball yo and if kobe and shaq are gonna play as they did in the last two games its gonna be no prob.

14. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I think the Lakers can win this one. Right now, they have all the momentum. They have Shaq and Kobe playing at the top of their games. They have Duncan struggling, as shown by only 19 points and 10 boards the other night, only 2 of those rebounds came in the 2nd half. I think, right now, the Lakers are looking like the hungrier of the two teams. They have played with a lot passion the last two games. They have finally showed that they can be the team everyone thought that they could be at the beginning of the season. They've showed that they can dominate and turn a game around in an instant. Plus, the Lakers have OWNED the 3rd quarter this series, outscoring the Spurs by a total 44 points, an average of 11 points more than the Spurs in the 3rd. Which pretty much means that, if the Spurs have a lead from anywhere around the 6-14 point range at halftime, the Lakers are still well within striking distance with the way the Spurs choke in the 3rd. So, I think, the key to the game, will be the 3rd quarter. Whether the Spurs finally show up or if the Lakers completely take over and keep the momentum rolling. If they do that, the game will be right there for the Lakers. Plus, the Spurs other problem from last game, turnovers and causing turnovers. They had something along the lines of 19 last game I believe, whereas the Lakers only had 7. Spurs need to force turnovers and hold onto the ball also. So, after all this rambling I've done, I'm saying that the Lakers will take this game, not sure by how much.

15. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

great preview, and happy birthday QRich. Like I've said in the last two I really don't like making predictions anymore because whenever I predict L.A. to win we lose.. I predicted a Laker win in both games 1 and 2 and we lost both... then I don't predict for game 3 and 4 and we win.. I can take a hint! The key will be on the defensive end once again, and I really was surprised Duncan played bad 2 nights in a row but I doubt it will happen again. If we come out with the right energy to start the game on both ends I think we can get this one. If the Lakers don't show up until half time like game 4, they'll have a very tough time trying to get a victory.

16. theclown1

theclown1 JBB JustBBall Member

First of all Happy B-day man. Wish you all the best.

Another great preview. It will be a tough game and need the sam D on Tim Duncan as in game 3 and 4. Be carefull with Parker. He is too quick for GP.

I say Lakers by 5.

17. 30 standing ver

30 standing ver JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Undertakernv:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually its a tie series. 2-2

This game in San Antonio is the perfect opportunity to take one in San Antonio. The Lakers are playing especially energetic and it seems as if a little self doubt has slipped into the Spurs' locker room. If the Lakers can take this game then it will be all on the shoulders of Tim Duncan to pull out a road win at Staples, something they haven't accomplished all year.
    Lakers by 8.</div>

Naw I meant on the preview. The Spurs has the advantage in the PG, SF, and PF positions.

18. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Decided to copy this thread from the Laker forum so there is some disussion for both forums.

No doubt this is a huge game for the Spurs, I feel a loss for S.A tonight will mean this series is over. They have to take advantage of homecourt If they want to move onto the western conference finals.

Spurs are in the same situation as last season, tied at 2-2 heading back to the SBC center. Lakers took care of business on their homecourt now the Spurs have to do the same.

I don't see how Spurs can lose 3 straight games in a playoff series, seem impossible to me. They fought all season for situations like this (having homecourt advantage)

This series is still San Antonio's series to lose, there's no other way around it.

19. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

History will repeat itself, Spurs win game 5.

20. YaoMing03-04

YaoMing03-04 JBB Banned Member

what a shot