Drew Gooden

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Would you guys take a chance on him if he would offer something to the Cavs who now have him? I think he's only like 1/3 players that have said and actually wanted to play for the Warriors before they were drafted.

2. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

I highly doubt the Cavs would be willing to deal him. Boozer screwed them and left them without a PF so they worked out a deal to get a young talented PF in Drew Gooden. He is too valuable to them at this point.

3. wtwalker77

wtwalker77 JBB JustBBall Member

Gooden can survive in the east as a pf, but he'd just be a tweener in the west. I'd bet that's why the Warriors passed on him in the first place.

4. Custodianrules2

As long as the guy plays big he's all right with me. I mean we'll see how Kenyon Martin can do being 6'9 and lightweight playing in the West.

5. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Kenyon Martin's game is a lot stronger, though. A true power game, he has almost no range, but many more inside moves, takes a lot of contact, even at 6'9" and 240 lbs. He's vocal on the floor and always looks and sounds like he's pumped up.

Gooden on the other hand is labeled soft, and although he's a good rebounder and has size (listed at 6'10", 240) his offensive game is more of a midrange jumper/hook shot deal, which probably is one reason he has that label. Despite his game, he still manages to get to the free throw line, so it's not that bad.

I wouldn't make him a target for any trades, because position-wise, he wouldn't fit on the Warriors too well. We want to give Murphy and Biedrins chances for next season, and Gooden has already shown that he's not going to adjust to a small forward position. We probably could have easily offered a trade similar to what Cleveland made, by giving Orlando Cliff Robinson and two second rounders - Cliff Robinson can play FC in the east, makes about the same salary as Battie, would have given Orlando the "mentor" they wanted to Howard.

6. Custodianrules2

It's a good thought, but can Gooden play defense?

Probably not, being labeled soft and all. Oh well. I just thought this kid had some appeal because he's from Oakland and he's full of potential as one of these inside/outside athletic power forwards.