Marcus banks goes back to boston

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Lakers' started by KoBe BrYanT 8, Aug 14, 2004.

1. KoBe BrYanT 8

KoBe BrYanT 8 JBB JustBBall Member

In an alteration to last week's trade that adds doubt to the prospect of Gary Payton donning green next season, the Lakers sent Marcus Banks [news] and a second-round pick back to the Celtics yesterday, and instead accepted the little-used Jumaine Jones.

Though director of basketball operations Danny Ainge declined comment last night, a Lakers spokesman yesterday said the Celtics requested the change because Payton - still reportedly on a Caribbean cruise with his family - did not report for his physical.

A Celtics source countered that the team actually waived the need for a Payton physical. But there was clearly lingering worry in the Celtics front office last night that Payton might choose not to join the team - thus leading to Banks' return to the Celtics. The deal is expected to be finalized Monday.

The trade's twists also had an infuriating impact on Banks' family. Though Arthur Banks said his son looks forward to returning to Boston, the family has also been floored by Ainge's back-and-forth dealing with the young point guard.

Banks, told about last week's trade by his agent, Michael Higgins, was also told of yesterday's move by Higgins. Arthur Banks said Ainge has not called his son.

``They didn't tell us why this all changed, and it weighs on me as well as Marcus,'' the elder Banks said last night. ``When you draft Marcus with the 13th pick in the draft and you tell him all these things about how you want him, what do you really mean?

``Is this guy a man of his word, or is he just out there trying to create space on his salary cap?'' he said of Ainge. ``You have to win the trust of the fans. It's not just about moving around for the sake of money. That doesn't show loyalty or a team concept. That just shows that it's a meat market, and that anything is possible.''

The problem, according to Banks, is that Ainge has now lost the trust of his son.

``Marcus had just accepted going to Los Angeles, and now to retract it is hard,'' he said. ``The day of the trade (the Celtics) didn't call us. (Lakers general manager) Mitch Kupchak called and talked to me. I would have loved to have talked to Danny. I asked Marcus if he heard from Danny, and he said no. That tells you something right there.

``You have to understand that Marcus is very high on Boston - he has a lot of friends there, and he loves the city,'' the father said. ``He said that's not the issue. What he said to me (yesterday) was, `Dad, I'm thinking that they don't care about me.' ''

Banks' parents were so taken by Boston last year that, coupled with the desire to be closer to their oldest son, they looked into buying a permanent home in the area.

Arthur Banks said the real estate search will now resume, though with some heavy, unanswered questions about Ainge's intentions.

wow! [​IMG]

2. iceman

iceman JBB JustBBall Member

OMG i hate this .... soon i hate lakers [​IMG]

3. KoBe BrYanT 8

KoBe BrYanT 8 JBB JustBBall Member

but we get jumaine jones to me hes a much better player then banks