Sonics sign Dave Young

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Iron Shiek, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

The Supes signed my man to a one year 350,000 dollar contract. Here is the link.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> A day after their nearest Western Conference rival secured the last big-name free agent on the market, the Sonics tweaked their lineup and signed second-round draft pick David Young.

Terms of the contract were not released, but team sources indicated that the 6-foot-5 guard from North Carolina Central received a one-year deal worth about $350,000.

On draft night, coach Nate McMillan said he believed the 23-year-old Young, who was the 41st overall pick, had enough talent to make an immediate contribution. Young played for McMillan's brother, Randy, at North Carolina Central.

"What he has to do is show that he can make a contribution on the defensive end," McMillan said at the time. "Those are some of the things that we're looking at. He's got good size and good instincts, which will force us to give him a long look."

Young, who played two seasons at Xavier before transferring to NCC, averaged 20.5 points last season. Playing for the Sonics' summer-league team in July, he averaged 5 points a game.

The coaches were impressed with his defensive abilities and will likely slot him as the third shooting guard behind starter Ray Allen and backup Ronald Murray. Young also could see playing time at small forward. </div>

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soni...075_soni02.html

He will be competing for minutes at the two guard and at the three. He's a tough minded guy and I'm sure that we will be seeing him some this year on the court.

2. Xman

Xman JBB JustBBall Member

Good to be back

Seems like a solid backup, but I don't see him getting nuch playing time unless someone gets injured or traded. He'll probably see as many minutes as Sesay saw during his time with Sonics.

3. Shard

Shard Hi2u

Looks like the Sonics management saw something in Dave after all. Doesn't seem like he'll get much p.t. like XMan said but judging from how the Sonics chose Dave over Damien Wilkins shows that there may be something special about Young that the Sonics could use this season or in the future. From what Sheik has said and what i've heard from news sources, this looks like a good signing for the Sonics.

4. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

As you say Shard, it looks like Wilkins didn't score an invite to training camp because Young was their man. I would also think Sesay won't be getting a new deal, so I wonder what's on the horizon for him.

Hopefully Dave can make an impact.

5. RiverspoonJones

RiverspoonJones JBB Sonic Death Monkey

Is it possible we're hiding this guy (see Summer League)? Man, if he's Flip mk. II, we're laughing...

6. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

I honestly think that the Sonics were testing Dave to see if he were a head case. He had problems with the coaching staff at Xavier when he didn't feel he was used properly. I don't think the the Sonics were convinced that Dave would be a positive force in the locker room if he weren't receiving any minutes. I guess the only way that they would find out is if they challenged him early. He obviously passed their test and they decided to sign him.

7. N4S

N4S BBW Member

David Young - Who???

8. Shard

Shard Hi2u

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Need4Sheed:</div><div class="quote_post">David Young - Who???</div>The Sonics' second round draft pick. A shooting guard from North Carolina Central University.