Kobe at 230 lbs?

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Lakers' started by jbbReal Deal, Oct 2, 2004.

1. jbbReal Deal

jbbReal Deal Active Member

http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2004/10/02/s...icle_261780.php
    (you have to register...don't bother, but my actual source is the ClubLakers forum [​IMG])

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Kobe Bryant figures to be a low-post threat in this new Lakers era, too. Bryant reported to training camp a year ago at 210 pounds; after this summer of weight training, he is up to an all-time high of 230.</div>

In 2002-2003, Kobe was at 220 lbs...and that was the same year he had 9 consecutive games with 40+ points or more and had his best season (statistically) of his career. I wonder if this will be a good thing, or if he's gaining too much...

2. Billa_Bong

Billa_Bong JBB JustBBall Member

Well I think its a good thing cause there is no possibility he is gaining fat, more muscle never hurts.

3. djsmkb8

djsmkb8 JBB JustBBall Member

230?!?! Wow. I remember last year him saying something about saying he wanted to get down to like 210 or 215 through training, but he just lost the weight since he didn't train. 230 might be a little too much weight to push around for what he does on the court. Hopefully he'll be around 215-220 by the time the season starts.

4. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I would prefer 220-225, but if this is all muscle he put on then It should be awesome, especially because he will be bigger than most 2 guards now, and I stil think he will be quick and agile out there..

5. JLee348

JLee348 JBB JustBBall Member

Were all gonna witness something special this year.

6. Lakerland

Lakerland JBB JustBBall Member

It depends if its muscle or fat...

7. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

Anyone know how much Jordan weighed during the 90's? He definitely weighed a lot more then what Kobe did before this summer. Probably around 230 lbs..I'm pretty sure its the first step Kobe takes towards greatness.

I always felt Kobe had to add a few extra pounds. 230 lbs is sweet and just about right.

8. Jumpman

Jumpman And Your Nominees Are...

Well the stronger he is, the more it will hurt Shaq when he dunks on him on Christmas Day.

9. djsmkb8

djsmkb8 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting dallasdude:</div><div class="quote_post">Anyone know how much Jordan weighed during the 90's? He definitely weighed a lot more then what Kobe did before this summer. Probably around 230 lbs..I'm pretty sure its the first step Kobe takes towards greatness.

I always felt Kobe had to add a few extra pounds. 230 lbs is sweet and just about right.</div>

Jordan was like 200lbs in the late 80's thru the early 90's and got up to 216lbs in the mid to late 90's.

10. drm2dnk

drm2dnk JBB JustBBall Member

He put on some weight after all the stress and drama..woopti dooo..

11. jbbReal Deal

jbbReal Deal Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting drm2dnk:</div><div class="quote_post">He put on some weight after all the stress and drama..woopti dooo..</div>
    ???

The reason he put on weight is from his 6-6-6 routine. This is one player who <u>wants</u> to win. I know a handful that have nearly as much talent, yet don't wanna do anything.

12. TheNextJordan8

TheNextJordan8 JBB JustBBall Member

I think this is a real good move by Kobe i mean when i think of the most athletic and muscle built i tihnk of Corey Maggette and i really apreciate his game and his work ethic i mean look how buff and strong he looks and hes the same height as kobe and weighs 228 which means Kobe will have a Maggette type phsych which cant be bad at all.

13. yanix

yanix JBB JustBBall Member

kobe at 230?! wow his upper body strength this season is really gonna improve a lot. this is especially important when u drive to the lane.

14. Jesseca328

Jesseca328 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting yanix:</div><div class="quote_post">kobe at 230?! wow his upper body strength this season is really gonna improve a lot. this is especially important when u drive to the lane.</div>
    [​IMG]

15. yanix

whats so funny? [​IMG]

16. Vyper

Vyper -Vintage '73-

jaded corporate lackey
    well I think this may cause some problems,especially with his quickness also with joints etc. It puts extra pressure on your joints when you cut and can potentially lead to injuries. When you add muscle and strength you usually have to sacrifice something else..especially a 20+ pound increase in muscle.

17. Jesseca328

Jesseca328 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting yanix:</div><div class="quote_post">whats so funny? [​IMG]</div>

I got the image of KB dunking on Shaq.

18. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Dre:</div><div class="quote_post">well I think this may cause some problems,especially with his quickness also with joints etc. It puts extra pressure on your joints when you cut and can potentially lead to injuries. When you add muscle and strength you usually have to sacrifice something else..especially a 20+ pound increase in muscle.</div>

I was worried about his quickness a couple of seasons ago when he came in bulked up, but then he appeared quicker then ever. On one of the preseason laker broadcasts that season, they were saying something about him working on his "muscle twitch" (?) or something like that, I don't remember the correct terminology. But they were saying his added muscles allowed him to react faster. I'm no physiologist, so don't ask me how that works, lol...

He was 220 that year I think, 230 sounds like a bit much though. There is always a chance of overdoing it, but we will just have to see.

19. bbwtrench

bbwtrench BBW Member

Kobe will look killer. Shaq, your not the only one whos gonna be in shape this year!

20. yanix

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Originally posted by Jesseca328
    I got the image of KB dunking on Shaq.</div>

oh lol :P