Cassell talks (and talks, and talks)

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by durvasa, Oct 7, 2004.

1. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5019884.html

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    "I just stand up for what I believe in. If I'm wrong, I'm not going to say nothing. But when I'm right, I'm going to speak my mind. Because I'm a man before I'm anything. Before I'm a basketball player, I'm a man. And you're not just going to walk over the top of me. I'm a grown man. What's right is right, what's wrong is wrong and what's fair is fair. Me personally, I want to be treated fair. I'm not going to let anybody treat me wrong. Then you can respect me. And I'll give you that same respect." </div>

2. jbbSpree

jbbSpree JBB JustBBall Member

haha he does talk and talk and talk.. which is what i love about Cassell, hes such a passionate basketballer on and off court. I see exactly what his argument is for. I definately place him as a top 5 pg in the league regardless of his age. He has brought alot to the ball club and there was a long list of players gettin paid a significant ammount more than him.. so im not complaining about the ammount of money because we all know 5.65 mill for a season of ball is alot, however considering the ammount hes done for the club and i don't see his game declining majorly over the next few seasons because like he said "I ain't never been that guy who jumps. I've got one dunk in my whole career. That goes to show you. But I've got 13,000 points." He will continue to do his thing at a high level, and hopefully help this ball club go all the way this season.

3. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

Exactly, when you speak the truth then you can talk. He is vastly underpaid. For example Tony Parker, very nice point guard when he comes up for his 1st contract extension look how much cash they are going to throw his way. When Cassell was up foir his 1st contract extension in Jersey, he already had 2 chips under his belt. Yet he had got jerked, granted its his & hyis agents fault but Sammy didnt want to test free Agency at the time because he had already played with 4 teams in 4-years(Rockets, & short stops in Phx & Dallas, then Jersey), so he was comfortable. He wanted to stay in one place for a while. But nobody can argue that he hasnt made a team better everywhere he has went.

Its not a mistake that he has been to Conference Finals with three different teams. Its no mistake that in his one full season with the Nets(97-98) they improved their wins by 17 games. And made the playoffs when it meant something to make the playoffs in the east. Its no mistake that Sammy has only missed the playoffs 1 season, when he has played with that team for the entire year & even that team was .500. Cassell is a winner point blank period. When you got Sammy as the floof general of your team you dont think about making the playoffs, your think how far can your team go when you get there. Cassell & Spree came to Minny & changed the feelings of Wolves franchise in one season from everybody in the city begging the wolves to get out of round one to now anything less then the World crown wouldbe a disappointment. So they need to paid for such impact on a franchise.

Sammy said isnt looking for a raise in salary, he is olooking for years add to the deal. And I think adding 2 more years isnt much to ask imo. Cassell will still be able to shoot the basketball when he is a 100 years-old. Cassell will be able to help this franchise wins games as long as the Wolves want him too.

4. Linkin

Linkin JBB JustBBall Member

Sam is underpaid, too underpaid. Many players are getting contracts that they don't deserve and everybody are getting overpaid these days, so why shouldn't Sam get a fair contract extension. It isn't asking for much. he just wants what he deserves. Look at Ervin on our team. He is almost making as much money as Sam but isn't close to him talent wise. He is the perfect pg for our offensive system and has improved our team vastly in one season. He will be able to produce over the next couple of seasons because he doesn't really much on speed, athletisism, etc. I agree with him. The Timberwolves will most likely give him that contract extension before the start of the season.

BTW, there are too many threads on this topic already. You should just post it all in one thread.