Official Game Thread: Houston Rockets at New Jersey Nets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by Trip, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    GAME: Houston Rockets(3-4)[​IMG] vs. New Jersey Nets(2-4)[​IMG]

TIME: Monday November 15th, 6:30PM

PROBABLE STARTERS
    [​IMG]SF[​IMG] Bostjan Nachbar/Richard Jefferson
    [​IMG]PF[​IMG] Maurice Taylor/Eric Williams
    [​IMG]C[​IMG] Yao Ming/Jason Collins
    [​IMG]PG[​IMG] Charlie Ward/Zoran Planicic
    [​IMG]SG[​IMG] Jim Jackson/Rodney Buford

By <font color="red">Hunter</font>

Game Plan for the Rockets
    1. YAO-YAO-YAO. He has had two straight 25 point + games including a 34 point outing against the Lakers on Saturday night. With the injury to Jason Collins, the Nets frontcourt isn't looking to great for tomorrow night. Yao needs to be a factor on both ends of the court, especially on the offensive side. If he gets his third straight 25+ point game, I think we can wrap this game up for the Rockets.

2. Other players must step up offensively. Last game we only had two players in double figures - Yao with 34 and Jackson with 15. The next highest scorers had 6 a piece. This will not get it done with T-MAC not playing. Simply put, with T-MAC out we really need a third/fourth option to emerge for the Rockets. Look for Maurice Taylor to hopefully get the ball rolling and have a good game.

3. Defensive Intensity - Last game against the Lakers we forced 10 steals. We need to play with that same intensity against the Nets. The Kidd-less Nets are at a severe disadvantage since a true second option hasn't emerged besides Jefferson. We need to lockdown on him and force Alonzo and Rodney Buford to beat us. If we can contain Jefferson, our changes of winning the game go up.

Game Plan for the Nets
    1. Someone needs to step it up offensively besides Jefferson. Everyone in the gym knows Jefferson is good for 20+ points however what other options do the Nets have? Jason Collins is out, Alonzo hasn't played consistant ball as of late, and Rodney Buford has showed only occasional signs of consistancy on the offensive end as of late. Someone needs to step up for the Nets to have a chance to win. Should we roll a dice to see who it will be tonight?

2. Defensive Post Play - Someone, somehow, someway has to stop Yao Ming. He has had 2+ 25 point games with no signs up slipping up against the Nets. They need to double team him and force him to give the ball up to the Rockets role players. They need Lue, Ward and Nachbar getting the shots, not Yao. When Yao is "on" the Rockets are "on" however when Yao is "off" so are the Rockets. With Jason Collins out, NJ fans need to be praying that they can stop Yao.

3. Limit/Force Turnovers- The Nets need to take care of the rock. Last game they had 20 TO's compared to the Mavericks 9. The Rockets only turned the ball over 13 times against the Lakers. The Nets need to force the Rockets to turn over the rock then get out in transition and Run'N'Gun.

Game Outlook
    I honestly dont see how the Rockets can lose if Yao is a factor on offense and someone besides Jackson and Yao step up on the offensive side. I dont think the Nets can put up 80 points against us. This game will come down to Yao Ming. If there is a big night for Yao, there will be a big night for the Rockets and visa versa.

Rockets take this one 95-76

2. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

even though tmac is injured the rockets should win this one rater easily

3. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

Who said McGrady was still injured? I thought he'd be ready for this game.

4. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting durvasa:</div><div class="quote_post">Who said McGrady was still injured? I thought he'd be ready for this game.</div>
    Well, this preview was done with the assumption that McGrady was still injured, so there's your answer. Regardless of whether he plays, we should be able to take this game easily.

5. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

hmm...I think that you guys are taking the Nets a little to lightly. Yes they are 2-4. And yes you will be favored to win the game. But the Nets are a scrappy team, & probably better then there 2-4 record. They had the Sixers beat two games ago; but choke the game away at the line down the stretch and lost a 4point lead with less then a minute to play in the game. And the Nets played neck to neck with Dallas over the weekend but Dallas had to much offense in the 4th quarter. Those games go a little different in the 4th quarter. And you are looking at a 4-2 team, with everybody calling them a shock in the league. So to expect a easy game for the Rockets, I think is a bit of false hope. You are favored to win but it shouldnt be easy by any means.

6. Trip

Student
    I am by no way underrating the Nets' potential to put up a great game. Remember, last year we were the team that had to go to double overtime to beat the Hawks by two points at home, so we have previous lessons in not taking opponents slightly. However, this Nets team is completely depleted, and Yao Ming traditionally has good games in New Jersey, so we should win this one with no problem.

7. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

The Nets have been completely depleated all year, yet with the exception of the loss to the Heat & Suns, all the rest of thier games have been extremely close and competive. I think the Nets will get a strong game from Zo honestly. Ming usually gets in foul trouble trying to deal with physical guys like Zo. So I wouldnt be shocked if Ming gets into early foul trouble, if the Nets look to establish Zo early. And when Ming gets into early foul trouble he usually doesnt have that much of an impact over the full 48minutes. So I think having Zo will have somewhat of an effect on Ming but we shall see..

8. l2emix

l2emix JBB JustBBall Member

What channel will this game be on in Houston?

9. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

I think it's going to be on Foxsports.....so I guess I'll have to listen to it on 610

10. Adrenaline

Adrenaline JBB JustBBall Member

Digital Cable: 37 (FSN)

11. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

the Nets couldnt have come any sooner for the Rockets...I expect them to use this week as a source of finding who they are as a team..they have the Nets, the Hawks and the Knicks this week, and I see those as 3 wins...yes the Nets may be a scrappy, overachieving bunch but realistically the Rockets should have no problems...

12. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

Well, right now at halftime its 47-30 with the Rockets having the lead. Yao has four points with one rebound while Tmac, who is playing, with seven points and three assists. Looks like another game that will test our overall group effort.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> expect them to use this week as a source of finding who they are as a team</div>

Thats a good point, we definitely need to work on our chemistry and limiting turnovers which right now is a problem with Ward and Lue. Remember that pass at the end of the game from Lue to uh... noone? After this week, we should be able to iron out our problems thoroughly but most importantly be able to rest Tmac more so he can concentrate on healing and not having the injury affect the rest of the season.

13. drm2dnk

drm2dnk JBB JustBBall Member

wow jkidd made rj and scrubs look really good [​IMG]..wow whoever is the owner for nets should b fired ..look at the direction they're goin..the only positive is the lottery..losing kmart and i bet kidd wants out..great W for the rockets

14. jbbReal Deal

jbbReal Deal Active Member

What's going on with Yao? I can't watch the games so I have no idea...I really like the guy, and I thought he'd dominate this game. [​IMG]

Alonzo Mourning is my favorite center...always liked the guy...but I didn't think that he'd hold Yao to 6 points and 2 boards. Was it early fouls, or is Yao's elbow still bothering him?

15. l2emix

Early fouls...the Nets doubled and fronted him! Yao has trouble with fronts...he needs to work on that. At one point of the game he caught an awesome pass form Howard for a RUNNING STATEMENT MAKING dUNK! It was insane...but then his momentum carried him past the backboard and his braced-arm was still on the rim. After the dunk he was hunched over grabbing his arm and his face was screwed in pain. I don't know if it was serious or not..but i think it kind of affected his game after that.

16. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

I thought Yao actually played better on the defensive end this game, and while he didn't get many rebounds he was tipping the ball a lot (particularly first half) which at least something. Offensively, he did nothing.

Has Yao hit a catch and shoot jump shot yet this season? He did that regularly the last few years, but he rarely takes those shots this season and I've yet to see him make even one.

17. dakeem1

dakeem1 JBB JustBBall Member

Good game, an expected win, but also one which could've bit us in the butt. It was dissapointing to see Yao getting less minutes because of foul trouble. I only got to seet he stats, so at first impression I thought Yao had an aweful game but then I saw the minutes. I was just hoping it was foul trouble and not an aggrivated injury.

That being said, its good to see JJ step up on this one. He is definitely our 3rd scoring option, and its good to see him actually start palying like one. I also think that Mo Taylor can do alot more for us on offense. He's never been much of a defensive player, so he has to bring more to the table on the other side of the court.

18. l2emix

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting durvasa:</div><div class="quote_post">I thought Yao actually played better on the defensive end this game, and while he didn't get many rebounds he was tipping the ball a lot (particularly first half) which at least something. Offensively, he did nothing.

Has Yao hit a catch and shoot jump shot yet this season? He did that regularly the last few years, but he rarely takes those shots this season and I've yet to see him make even one.</div>

I don't think he can shoot with that elbow-brace on his arm. I heard it was 5-6 lbs at one place and at another I heard it was 2 lbs. Hard to shoot with even +1 lb on your arm...

We might see him start shooting once he takes off his brace.
    When is he going to take it off anyway?