Why is the nba so weak?

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by tidi, Nov 16, 2004.

1. tidi

tidi JBB JustBBall Member

The season just started and I'm a bit worried about the level of some teams in the nba.

Lets take the new jersey nets as an example. The team is really weak in all positions. Jefferson is their go to guy, I mean richard freaking jefferson. And even if jason kidd was playing the team would still be weak. Scalabrini playing big minutes, a veteran like Mourning starting as center, PLANINIC as a backup guard, Jason Collins starting as a power forward. You have to admit that is a very poor roster.

An what about the rookies. I'm not really excited about them, ben gordon, howard, okafor, most of them are playing in very weak teams having a lot of minutes an they just don't deliver. The games I'm really enjoying right now are the 80's games of nba classic tv.

I don't really think that the talent have disapeared, it's just that coachs tend to prefer the physical play over finesse. Wich is really sad. They are teams I still enjoy, Utah jazz, San antonio Spurs, Dallas maverick, bucks, but in the overall most teams rely to much on physical play. Of course this is just my opinion.

2. Karma

Karma The Will Must Be Stronger Than The Skill

I'm actually surprised that the Nets managed to win 2 games already.
    And the Hornets have yet to win one.

3. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

A couple of teams might be weak but the NBA teams overall hasn't gotten weak. Jordan dominated the league and since then the NBA hasn't quite been the same. But the NBA has gotten more skilled over the years.

4. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tidi:</div><div class="quote_post">The season just started and I'm a bit worried about the level of some teams in the nba.

Lets take the new jersey nets as an example. The team is really weak in all positions. Jefferson is their go to guy, I mean richard freaking jefferson. And even if jason kidd was playing the team would still be weak. Scalabrini playing big minutes, a veteran like Mourning starting as center, PLANINIC as a backup guard, Jason Collins starting as a power forward. You have to admit that is a very poor roster.

An what about the rookies. I'm not really excited about them, ben gordon, howard, okafor, most of them are playing in very weak teams having a lot of minutes an they just don't deliver. The games I'm really enjoying right now are the 80's games of nba classic tv.

I don't really think that the talent have disapeared, it's just that coachs tend to prefer the physical play over finesse. Wich is really sad. They are teams I still enjoy, Utah jazz, San antonio Spurs, Dallas maverick, bucks, but in the overall most teams rely to much on physical play. Of course this is just my opinion.</div>

Just a question real quick before I comment, what's wrong with Richard Jefferson? The guy has been great. He's really turned into a great all around player...just my opinion though.

About the rookies, you realize you named the top three picks right? That means, that the season prior, the team did absolutely horrible in order to get that pick, or in the case of Charlotte, just came into the league. And actually, the Magic aren't doing too bad right now. What are they, 3-2 last I knew. They're doing better than expected. But, really, there's nothing wrong with the rookies. Deng is playing great for Chicago. Howard has been great, especially on the defensive end of the court, getting of 11 rpg and 2 bpg, in fact, he has yet to record a game with less than 10 boards.

About the physical play, there really are not a lot of finesse teams in the league anymore. The game nowadays is about executing in the halfcourt and trying to go inside to outside. That's just my thoughts. The league isn't as high scoring for that reason either. Teams try to focus on defense now more than offense, because, quite frankly, the saying is true, defense wins championships, and most teams believe that and try to hold up to it. And if you don't believe it, look at the last two champs. The Spurs and Pistons sure as hell didn't win with offense, that's for damn sure.

And, your first point, there are always weak teams in the league. The Nets will be better once Jason Kidd comes back, and quite frankly, I'm surprised they've won. But, they're not a TERRIBLE team, they just don't have their leader. They're subpar. There are worse teams in the league right now, and that will show later in the season.