Seattle @ New Jersey: Official Game Thread

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Shard, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Shard

Shard Hi2u

Details:

When: Wednesday, November 17th
    Where: Continental Airlines Arena, New Jersey
    Time (Seattle): 4:00
    TV: Fox Sports, League Pass

Projected Starters:

<font color="green">Seattle (7-1)</font>

Luke Ridnour
    Ray Allen
    Rashard Lewis
    Reggie Evans
    Jerome James

<font color="Navy">New Jersey (2-5)</font>

Zoran Planinic
    Reggie Jefferson
    Eric Williams
    Jason Collins
    Alonzo Mourning

Injury Troubles:

<font color="green">Seattle</font>

Vitaly Potapenko: Broken hand, ruled out.
    Ibo Kutluay: Knee tendinitis, ruled out.
    Flip Murray: Quadricep strain, ruled out.

<font color="Navy">New Jersey</font>

Jason Kidd: Bone bruise in knee, ruled out.
    Ron Mercer: Left knee swelling, ruled out.
    Jabari Smith: Sprained ankle, ruled out.

Brief Notes:
    <ul>
    [*]The Sonics' streak continues at seven games with a win over Philadelphia Tuesday night. Last week's win was due in large part to an outstanding shooting performance from the Supes. They tied a team record with 18 three-point shots made in a game which turned out to be a jumpshot clinic.
    [/list]
    <ul>
    [*]Ray Allen has my vote for the early season NBA MVP so far. His play is as smooth as butter and he seems to always be on. Racking up 30+ points in three of his past five outings. Speaking of hot shooters, how about Antonio Daniels? AD has emerged from a good bench player to a great player throughout the game. Daniels is making clutch shot after clutch shot while making the Sonics backcourt even deeper than most expected.
    [/list]
    <ul>
    [*]Ridnour Watch: Luke handled Allen Iverson as well as any player in the league Tuesday night which adds AI to the "star quality guards contained" list which already includes, Jason Williams, Mike Bibby, Andre Miller, and Tony Parker. Ridnour will deal with some taller folk Wednesday night but should have no problem if he continues his stellar play as of late. The first round pick should have some time to shine in this one.
    [/list]
    All predictions, analysis and discussion relating directly to the game, both before, during and after, to be posted in this thread.

2. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

We should beat this team, but Seattle teams always have a tendency to drop the ones they are expected to win. Keep our focus and continue doing what we've been doing for the past two weeks, and we should win this, but it's not a given by any stretch of the imagination. Zo has been playing some good ball, and Jefferson is putting up insane numbers, but they don't have as many weapons as we do.

Luke will have a much bigger opponent in Planinic, and he should be able to beat him off the dribble offensively to drive and dish.

3. BODY_COUNT

BODY_COUNT JBB JustBBall Member

No way we are gonna lose against the nets. Even if Ray Allen & Rashard Lewis don't play, we still got more talent than them. The only factor that concerns me is effort, since we might underestimate the nets and not play as hard as we've been playing so far in the season. Still, I think everybody will play hard, Ray Allen will try to keep up his level of play, Rashard Lewis will be matched up with Jefferson and I think he'll have a great game. And who's gonna stop Antonio Daniels? Zoran Planinic? no way...sonics by 19...

4. RiverspoonJones

RiverspoonJones JBB Sonic Death Monkey

You would've thought that we'd have a bit of a hang-over after such a game (Philly). However, New Jersey is one of those games that scream 'forfeit' this season. They don't really have anyone to shut down Ray and Rashard (well, maybe Jefferson can do a job on 'Shard, but he'll have to expend a lot of energy over 48 minutes).

Defensively, with Mercer out, Jefferson is the only danger guy on the Nets so we can focus much of our attention toward him without too much damage coming from the others. Zo is playing beast-esque at the current, so our frontcourt guys will have to bring their A- game... but we haven't had problems throwing body-after-body at better frontcourts, thus far.

This is a game we'll win by 25 or lose by 10.

5. BODY_COUNT

Lose by 10? When was the last time the Nets scored 10 points in a game? lol

6. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

I think if we win Rashard, Antonio, or Vladimir will lead the team in scoring. Ray can't keep it up this long.

7. BODY_COUNT

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Casual:</div><div class="quote_post">Ray can't keep it up this long.</div>

I think he will, at least for one more game. No one on the Nets can stop him.

8. Stockton

Stockton JBB

The Sonics should win this one, but they can't play down to the Nets' standards. We saw it with the Jazz today against the Bobcats, if you take a game too lightly because the opposition aren't at the level you are, you can easily lose. Although in saying that I'll take the Sonics by 18.

9. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

This is a difficult game for my Nets, we struggle against up & down high scoring teams. But the good thing is the Sonics are a jumpshoting team. And if they arent shooting well from the perimeter they really dont have away to beat a team in another fashion. The Sonics dont score much in the paint besides the occausional drive by Suger Ray. Or put back by Danny Fortson. I think Zo can have a strong game against a team like the Sonics. Ray vs Rj should be an interesting matchup at the 2-guard.

But the Nets wont have enuff to keep up with the Sonics if they dont get a strong bench preformance from Best, Scalabrine, & Buford. But I think the Sonics are bound to cool off from the way they shot the ball against Philly last night. Its the NBA's law of averages, so we just have to make Ray Allen etc. perimeter looks difficult.

10. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

Hopefully we aren't to the point where we start looking past teams. You can only play the next game on your schedule and I'm hoping that Nate will get these guys to play hard every night and not take any team for granted.

We shall see.

11. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Iron Shiek:</div><div class="quote_post">Hopefully we aren't to the point where we start looking past teams. You can only play the next game on your schedule and I'm hoping that Nate will get these guys to play hard every night and not take any team for granted.

We shall see.</div>

I would think Nate is the last guy to look over a game and take a team for granted. It's the players that I'd be more concerned about, but hopefully this is a different Seattle outfit mentally as well.

12. tradebark

tradebark JBB JustBBall Member

man that was one UGLY game

a win is a win though

13. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

Well this wasnt the greatest game from either teams stand point but hey the Sonics are just a much better team. We cant score, so even when we play good defense against a high scoring team like the Sonics we still cant win cause cant produce enuff offense.

Watching RJ & Ray try to guard each other was interesting, they both were fighting hard on the defense end. And I think they both took a little bit away from what the other wanted to do. But the difference is Ray had offense help out on the perimeter with Rashard Lewis & his 17pts. And Forston won the battle that he and Zo were having most of the nights. So Ray had more help then RJ.

But anyway the Sonics have looked good to start the season, 8-1 is very impressive. I just want to see how good they look 20-25 games into the season. And they arent shooting the ball as well from the outside. Then we will get to see if they are really a good team.

14. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Another loss for the Nets. They really do need Kidd back more than ever as they are just sinking into the standings. That run in the third was intersesting and Jefferson really made it close with those freethrows but it was to no avail. That 3-pointer by Lewis was the dagger in the loss. Atleast the game was fairly close and there was some effort in it. The Nets deffense is something to be encouraged about because they did hold Seattle's high powered offense to a season low.

15. Shard

Shard Hi2u

U-G-L-Y. Every point scored in that game was worked hard for. Horrible shooting on both ends, definitely didn't look like the Sonics of last night.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J., Nov. 17 (Ticker) -- Not even their lowest-scoring game of the season could prevent the Seattle SuperSonics from winning again.

Rashard Lewis scored 17 points as the surprising SuperSonics defeated the hapless New Jersey Nets, 79-68, for their eighth straight victory. </div>
    Recap courtesy of NBA.com

16. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

A win is a win. We can't be shooting the lights out every night, in some ways getting an ugly win is a good thing.

17. Shard

Shard Hi2u

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Supersonic:</div><div class="quote_post">A win is a win. We can't be shooting the lights out every night, in some ways getting an ugly win is a good thing.</div>
    True, the Sonics ability to win in numerous ways shows their versatility and with a versatile team they can match up well and compete with any squad.