Drew Gooden

Discussion in 'Cleveland Cavaliers' started by NuSpace, Nov 27, 2004.

1. NuSpace

NuSpace JBB JustBBall Member

I was just wondering what your thoughts on this guy has been in his few game with Cavs this year.

Gooden was one of my favorite rookies in the 02-03 season, especially with his performance against Big Ben and the Pistons in the playoffs. Then I had to see his growth impeded with the signing of Juwan Howard.

However, the biggest knock on him as far as I can see is his inconsistency. One game, he'll be a monster with 25 points, 15 boards, 2 blocks, 2 steals, etc. then the next he'll be a non-factor with 6 points and 6 boards. Also, as athletic as he is, he doesn't look to be as strong as he needs to be at the power forward position.

Booz was a consistent double-double nightly with all the hustle to go with it, and we didn't expect more or less. With Gooden, you never know what you'll get but has a tremendous upside.

Your thoughts?

2. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

The Cavs never thought they would be double crossed/backstabbed by Boozer so they had to get someone at that PF spot. I don't think Traylor is a starting type so that wouldn't have been good. I know what you with Gooden very inconsistant but, I think consistancy comes with experience. You can't really teach it to someone. This is only his 3rd year so he still is very young. As he turns into a better player I think he will definitely improve on that area of his game. Atleast maybe instead of following a monster game with 6pts and 6rebs he'll have 12 points and 10 rebs.

3. ChipDWood

ChipDWood JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting NuSpace:</div><div class="quote_post">I was just wondering what your thoughts on this guy has been in his few game with Cavs this year.</div>

I'm a transplanted Cavs fan down here in Panama City FLA, so I didn't get to see any of the preseason games but have caught maybe 6 games from national broadcasts. My thoughts may be limited on it, but what the hey.

All I heard about Gooden when we acquired him concerned his inconsistency, and it looks like those murmurs were pretty telling. There's two things he has going for him here:

1) LeBron. With James's knack of feeding the big guys in great position to take advantage of the defense I think we'll find that as the games go by, Gooden will be more naturally motivated to show up because he knows he'll get prime touches and in good spots/position on the block. Don't forget about J-Mac too, who REALLY helped Z last year find his role in the offense by doing all sorts of re-posting to the big guy. The players that surround Gooden can play a big role in his game-night focus.

2) Silas. One thing Coach Paul has already proven that he excels at is developing big guys and molding them into his frame, both on the defensive as well as the offensive sides of the court. Silas is also one of the most patient coaches I've seen when it comes to dealing with players that seem to be more like rolling stones that gather no moss. He'll stick with Gooden and continue to focus on his weak spots maybe more than other coaches Gooden has had just because he's lived the life himself.

All in all, Gooden must have wished on a lucky star in being snatched up into the exact right opportunity. It'll take time, but I would be confident in saying that Gooden will eventually round into the kind of guy that plays a signifigant role on this team on a consistent and nightly basis. He's in the right place to grow and that helps bunches during this phase of his young career.

Chip

PS- course I could be totally wrong and he could wind up having an ego flame-out (see Darius Miles), but I think the odds are against it.

4. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

Gooden was a real nice pickup for us after losing Boozer. All you have to do is the give him some playing time and he has showed us what he's got. Yeah he can have some bad games, but he comes out the next game and blows up. That's what I like most about him, so I just hope he keeps doing what he's doing...

5. rprj18

rprj18 BBW Member

Consistency does seem to be a major issue with Gooden. He has had some huge games so far, but has also had some very mediocre performances as well. I think with time Gooden will become more consistent. He has already shown he has the potential to be a big player for us, he will just have to do it on a more consistent basis. Drew has really improved his stats from last season and hes only getting about 3 more minutes a game.