Official Draft Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by Mr. J, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Well we lost 15 of 17 are at the bottom of the Atlantic division, and are in danger of missing the playoffs. But don?t get down everyone I have some good news. I just saved tons of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico! Na, I was just kidding seriously don?t get sad everyone, look at this years draft! Shapecity made me feel much better when he said that our 1st round pick that originally went to Phoenix, is lottery protected. I guess you can always make the best out of your situation. I remember going to team boards and seeing threads like who can we get, if anything we should be making a thread like that. The way the Knicks are playing now, it looks like we might very well go into the lottery. We are 10 games below .500 and have been playing miserable basketball. The way it looks today, we will go 11 games below and have a worse record than Milwaukee. The way it looks now, we will have the 7th pick in the draft. I have not really followed college basketball. I watch it but, I really don?t understand everything. From my research and from what I have heard from people this looks like a pretty decent draft. I?m not saying a repeat of 2003 but, it looks pretty decent. These are some names that we have in Mock Drafts and things like that.

Fran Vazquez
    [imgl]http://www.draftcity.com/headshots/franvazquez.jpeg[/imgl]
    Height: 6'10
    Weight: 229 lbs
    Positions: PF/C
    Isiah Thomas was scouting him in Spain. From what I read from him, he is a very athletic player with great quickness and great dunker. He also has a nice Kurt Thomas range from 12-14 feet, and works well without the ball. He has a good wingspan which might intimidate some players trying to take it inside. He is also a solid rebounder. Probably his best asset is his work ethic and attitude. He is just like Ariza and Sweetney in his work ethic, and he is a good leader. I think he looks good and might be a good player in the league but, I don't think we need that type of player at the 4 now with Kurt Thomas. We also have Mohammed as a center. Perhaps a backup might do us some well. I don't think he is one of the more talented players though. It will be interesting to see what he can do. Either way he is a lottery pick. I heard the optimistic point of view from him is a poor man?s Marcus Camby, while the pessimistic side was a Francisco Elson.

<div align="right">Hakim Warrick [imgr]http://www.draftcity.com/headshots/hakimwarrick.gif[/imgr]
    Height: 6'8
    Weight: 210
    Positions: SF/PF
    I have heard a lot of good things about him. I have watched him occasionally but, I really do not follow college basketball too much. From what I read, he is extremely quick and runs the floor very well. He is extremely athletic and has serious leaping abilities. He throws down stuffs. He seems to be very mature to stay through college all 4 years. Rarely you see players taking the time to stay all 4 years. The only thing I am concerned about is his weight. He can play college 4 but in the NBA at 210, you can easily get out muscled. Sure he can use his quickness but what happens on the other end of the floor. It should be an interesting battle to see whether Trevor Ariza and him get at it. Once he puts on some more muscle, I can see him playing the power forward. The optimistic view was an Antawn Jamison, while the pessimistic one was a Lee Nailon.

These are only two names I could find and once the high schoolers start coming in, we will have more available options. It should be interesting who we draft with a lottery pick from Isiah Thomas who has drafted, Rookie of the Year Damon Stoudamire, Tracy McGrady, Trevor Ariza, and now hopefully he can do the same with someone here in this draft. Maybe it wont even come down to the lottery but the way we are playing now, it seems like we will. Anyone who really follows college ball have any suggestions?

2. Platehpus

Platehpus JBB JustBBall Member

I really hope we stay homegrown, our experience with overseas players has not been pleasent.

3. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

For real. But we do have Isiah and not Layden so it might be different. I really do think international players are riskier though. It's almost like a gamble.

4. Beat

Beat JBB JustBBall Member

I like Hakim Warrick think he would be a good sf for our team but we need to get rid of tim thomas or ariza if we get him and I'm not sure who to give up. Ariza is young and could become a great player but Tim Thomas is almost a lock for the Hall of Fame and is still in his prime.

5. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Do you guys think we should test our luck on a highschooler?

6. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

^In a pressure cooker such as New York I think the consenus pick for management would be someone who could come in and play a role on the team immediatley. Picking a high schooler would take a lot of patience and as far as I see it, there are no Lebron's, Dwight Howards or Amare's that are in this draft.

7. Knicks Analyst

Knicks Analyst JBB ? Israel ?

Yeah, thank God that was a conditional pick. My favorite guy in the draft for the Knicks is Warrick. The more I watch him the more interested I get in seeing him with Marbury. I love his game and pray we miss the playoffs and somehow snag Warrick.
    Yes. I said I hope we miss the playoffs so we can snag Hakim. You might want to write that down. That's how much I love this guy.

8. Tribute to H2O

Tribute to H2O JBB JustBBall Rookie Of The Month

Pass on Warrick. He's too small to play the powerforward and we already have a developing small forward. We need to draft a center. They take longer to develop than any other type of player. If we draft one now hopefully he'll be fully developed around the same time as Sweetney and Ariza. I say get someone from overseas. Usually overseas players(particularly Europeans) have good fundamentals and wont crack under the pressure of playing in New York since they probably have some international experience.

9. Platehpus

Platehpus JBB JustBBall Member

I know you guys are in love with Ariza, as am I, but it's really really risking it to depend on him becoming anything more than a role player. Seeing as there are no real proven centers in the group, it'd be great to grab a proven player, someone who has the potential to turn into a Grant Hill.

10. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I would like Crawford for a 1st round pick pick or something. We need to rebuild and we don't need to do it around Crawford. Does anyone think we can get a lottery pick for Marbury?

Anyway, KA I thought I was being silly. I thought about it and I thought would be good if we miss the playoffs too. What good is it barely making it and getting eliminated in the first round without a pick? I don't see the point.

11. Penny

Penny JBB JustBBall Member

Andrew Bogut

DO NOT PASS UP ON HIM!

Much like myself, Andrew Bogut is from Australia. I have been following him since he led Australia to Gold in the Junior World Championships.
    He averaged 26.3ppg and 17rpg over eight games in the Junior Worlds and scored 22 points and took 18 rebounds in a <font color="darkblue">106-85</font> win over the USA in the quarter-finals of the medal round.
    He will be the <font color="darkblue">best Australian player of all time</font> and will flourish in the NBA. Top 15 pick for sure, that's if he decides to come out this year.

Bogut's star on the rise
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">NBA talent scouts are going gaa-gaa over budding Australian superstar Andrew Bogut.
    The Athens Olympian has been on a tear this season for the University of Utah men's basketball team. On Monday he was named Mountain West Conference player of the week, his third such award in the space of seven weeks.
    He leads all US college players in double-doubles, posting double figures in both points and rebounds in 12 of 16 games.

The 20-year-old, in his second year at Utah, is averaging a conference-best 20.2 points and 11.5 rebounds per game, leading the Utes to a 13-3 win-loss record, including wins in their last eight games.
    Bogut's play has caught the attention of NBA talent scouts amid speculation he will forego his final two years of college and declare himself available for this year's NBA draft.

In a recent win over Louisiana State University, a staggering 22 NBA scouts turned up to watch Bogut go up against highly touted big man Brandon Bass.
    And he didn't disappoint.
    Bogut scored 24 points and grabbed 17 rebounds, while holding Bass to 17 points and nine rebounds in a 69-55 win for the Utes.
    </div>
    <font color="darkblue">Link</font>

I know not many have heard of him, but keep a look out, he is a great player. He plays for the <font color="darkblue">Utah Utes</font> in the <font color="darkblue">Mountain West Conference</font>

<font color="darkblue">Andrew Bogut Profile</font>

<u>Penny's Six Degrees of separation</u>
    The player in which Andrew Bogut trained against at the Australian Institute of Sport, his younger brother has played against me. [​IMG]

12. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I knew about him Penny I just thought we will have no chance in getting him. He'll probably be a top 3 pick while we might have 7 or higher. I don't think we'll do that bad Penny [​IMG]

13. Beat

Beat JBB JustBBall Member

I think we should go for Warrick, We already have sweetney and Kurt thomas get a small forward or center. If we get this guy though Knick fans might be angry because Isiah might give up Tim Thomas who is in his prime and is a lock for Hall of Fame.
    And theres need to waste your time hoping that we'll miss the playoffs, Because at this rate we'll get the number 1 draft pick.

14. KnicksUK

KnicksUK JBB JustBBall Member

Excuse my ignorance but I don't understand the following

"our 1st round pick that originally went to Phoenix, is lottery protected."

I totally dont know what that means. Is it that we are guaranteed a lottery spot or something?

15. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

It means that the Knicks can keep it if they have a lottery pick I think.

16. KnicksUK

KnicksUK JBB JustBBall Member

Keep what?

17. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

If the Knicks don't make the playoffs, we can keep our first rounder.

18. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I saw Warrick today and I never realized how skinny he was. Maybe because almost everyone in college is. Looking at it now, I really don't think we should get Warrick. We have Ariza and Warrick at his weight will not be playing PF anytime soon in the NBA.

What do you guys think if we trade our pick for a star. Kind of what like Washington did to acquire Jamison? Interesting. Perhaps we should use it in acquiring Webber [​IMG]

Also do you guys think we should trade someone for a higher pick in the draft? Marbury looked really good against Phoenix, but call me crazy but would you trade Marbury for a first round pick with the Hawks? Of course it will never happen because Isiah but, that is interesting though right?

19. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

If we manage to go into the lottery, let's do everything in our power to get Bogut. I'd trade anyone on the team for him. Except Ariza [​IMG]

20. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

whew

whew. I didnt knwo the pick was lottery protected. (sigh of relief)