Garnett's workload suddenly on uptick

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by Linkin, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Linkin

Linkin JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"><font size="1">Eddie Griffin breaks a finger. Michael Olowokandi sprains a knee. And Kevin Garnett picks up the tab.

Again.

"We're undersized right now," Garnett said. "We've got World [Wally Szczerbiak] playing the [power forward spot], Trenton Hassell playing [there too]. I'm doing whatever I can to give us a little edge."

Said coach Kevin McHale: "We were able to keep his workload lighter when we had Eddie and Michael. He can't play 42 minutes. That's my fault."

For a couple of months, Garnett has been dragging around that sore right knee, the elephant in his room that he refuses to discuss. It has flattened his game and drained his stats.

Physically, then, the wear and tear of this season has been as severe as ever. Emotionally, all the losing acts as some sort of multiplier. Not that Garnett is either complaining or yielding.

"We've got [26] games to make some ground," he said late Friday. "It's not an easy task, but it has to be done. ... I'll take that now and make that sacrifice. That's something I don't mind doing because, hell, somebody has to do it. Why not me?"

There was no way to shave Garnett's minutes Friday, not after he sat down near the end of the third quarter. With neither Griffin nor Olowokandi to spell him, the Wolves lineup got as small as their lead, shriveling from 11 points to five.

"Whatever beds you make up, that's what you bring in," Garnett said. "Obviously, this is one we made up. We have to fix it. We've got to fold the sheets back, wash the sheets. We've got to make this better, but this is what we've created. It's our mess -- we've got to clean it up."

We, as usual, means he.

"Who else?" Garnett said. "You can't be fake to yourself, you can't be fake to your teammates, you can't be fake to the coaches. At one point it has to come down to the man in the mirror. You have to think, I've got this responsibility.

"We're down in the ditch right now. But what are you going to do? Stop?" </font></div>
    <div align="center">Link </div>

2. GarnettKG21

GarnettKG21 JBB JustBBall Member

Todays win against portland was a nice team effort. Lets me know that they all arent dead yet, and guess who came out of hibernation today with 27 points - its mr sprewell, now you can go back like you always do and come back in about 12 games or so.

3. Timberwolf

Timberwolf JBB JustBBall Member

When I read this article, I admire KG's courage and his ability to wanting to play with pain. The next thing that came to my mind when I read that article is that is it worth playing with pain and taking more hurts if the season has become a lost cause. It's something to think about if it gets worse.

4. Tahsmith

Tahsmith JBB JustBBall Member

im sure mchale will sit him if we get bumped out of the playoff race