Official Game Thread: Rockets @ Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by Trip, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div align="center">[​IMG][​IMG]</div>
    <div align="center"><font color="red">Houston Rockets</font> VS <font color="blue">Golden State Warriors</font></div>

When: Tuesday March 14th, 10:30 PM (EST)/ 9:30PM (CT)
    Where: Oakland, The Arena in Oakland
    Local TV: FSN, NBA TV

<div align="center">Predicted Starters

<font color="blue">Warriors</font>
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    <font size="1"><font face="Arial"><font color="blue">Derek Fisher, Jason Richardson, Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, Adonal Foyle</font></font></font></div>

<div align="center"><font color="red">Rockets</font>
    <font size="1"><font face="Arial"><font color="red">Bob Sura, David Wesley, Tracy McGrady, Juwan Howard, Yao Ming</font></font></font></div>

Keys to The Game For Golden State
    <ul>
    [*]Three-point Barrage. Two days ago in their last game against Atlanta, the Warriors set a franchise record with 18 three pointers made. If they can make more than 10 tonight whilst shooting a good percentage from beyond, the game should be much easier to win.
    [*]Contain role players. The Warriors know that they cannot stop the duo of McGrady and Yao Ming, but they should try to make it so that no one else but those two can score. They have to play good defense on Jon Barry, Wesley, Howard and James to ensure that they don't get open shots.
    [*]Run the break. The Warriors have Jason Richardson, who racks up highlight reel dunks every night courtesy of the fast break. Now with Baron Davis, the team probably finds it even easier to run the break. Getting fast breaks will be a key tonight.

[/list]
    Keys To The Game For Houston
    <ul>
    [*]Defense. The Warriors are a good offensive team, and the Rockets will have to work to make sure they don't go over 100. Containing Richardson and Davis would be key as these two can go off for 30 any night.
    [*]Yao/McGrady come up big. Don't they always have to come up big?
    [*]Rebound. Golden State has some great offensive rebounders in Murphy and Adonal Foyle. The Rockets, being a bad defensive rebounding team already, will have to box out tonight. Play Mutombo and Weatherspoon more if that's what's needed. These two can box out.

[/list]

Prediction
    Rockets-101
    Warriors-92

2. T-Clutch-Mac

T-Clutch-Mac JBB JustBBall Member

nice job Trip. Stayin up late tonight boyz hopefully for a good game and favorable outcome

BTW could Troy Murphy's nose be any bigger?

3. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting T-Clutch-Mac:</div><div class="quote_post">nice job Trip. Stayin up late tonight boyz hopefully for a good game and favorable outcome

BTW could Troy Murphy's nose be any bigger?</div>
    [​IMG]

We've gotta keep an eye on that guy though. His mid-range shot is deadly, and has three-point range even. Great rebounder as well, a threat for a double-double each night. He's not a great defender though, so Howard should also get a pretty good night as Murphy tends to be lazy on defense. Keeping Baron Davis in check should be key tonight.

4. T-Clutch-Mac

is Davis coming off the bench?

5. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting T-Clutch-Mac:</div><div class="quote_post">is Davis coming off the bench?</div>
    Yup.

Uh Trip, I thought we switched games for the game preview since I couldn't do one later. So are you still filling in for me or what? Well, since I already did a preview, I'll post it here as too.

Houston Rockets at Golden State Warriors

[​IMG] @ [​IMG]

Starting Lineups

<font color="DarkRed">Houston Rockets</font>

<font color="DarkRed">Bob Sura, David Wesley, Tracy McGrady, Juwan Howard, Yao Ming</font>

<font color="Navy">Golden State Warriors</font>

<font color="Navy">Derek Fisher, Jason Richardson, Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, Adonal Foyle</font>

Keys to the Game

[​IMG]

- Yao and McGrady come up big for Houston. Whenever that happens, Houston usually comes up with the big win. Plus, I don't think anyone on Golden State can even match up with them and hold them defensively so they probably are going to put up some nice points this game.

- Role player points. Over the past few games, the trio of James, Barry, and Wesley have contributed to the Houston wins. Plus, they have the oh so nice perimeter shots that make the opposition think twice before double teaming Yao and McGrady. If they can come up big in this game, Houston will have an easier night. Also, keep your eyes out for Sura to find his groove again in this game since he has yet to come up like he has before his injury.

- Play aggressively. Sure it may be a sub .500 team, but that doesn't give any excuse for Houston to not hustle and play agressively for this one. They still have to play stellar defense and try to out rebound Golden State if they want to win this one. Remember, never keep the guard down.

[​IMG]

- Watch the perimeter. With the trio of Wesley, Barry, and James, Houston has become a great perimeter shooting team so Golden State better watch out for these guys. If they ever want to double team, they really need to keep an eye out for these guys or else they will make Golden State pay.

- Everyone steps up. Everyone needs to score including the bench players and if that happens, Golden State may give Houston a run for their money. Also, they should try and run the offense through Jason Richardson and probably Baron Davis since those are their key players and make their offense flow much more fluidly.

- Jason Richardson and Baron Davis come up big. Since they are probably the only legit players that can outmatch their counterparts (not sure about Davis beating James though) these guys really need to make a difference. They have to player top notch offense and try to drive to the hole to convert easy buckets.

Prediction

[​IMG] - 107

[​IMG] - 95

6. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Everyone expects the Rockets to win, but what will you guys think if the Warriors win? The Warriors are better now since the trade deadline than their record indicates. Baron Davis is starting to come on now, Richardson has played well all season long and Dunleavy has been playing the best basketball of his career even before the trade. I think if those 3 have a good game they will over power McGrady and Yao. Yao and Howard need to take advantage of our weak interior defense. Heck, everyone does. I just hope the Warriors dont get intimidated by Yao and take him out of the game by drawing fouls on him...

7. T-Clutch-Mac

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">Everyone expects the Rockets to win, but what will you guys think if the Warriors win? The Warriors are better now since the trade deadline than their record indicates. Baron Davis is starting to come on now, Richardson has played well all season long and Dunleavy has been playing the best basketball of his career even before the trade. I think if those 3 have a good game they will over power McGrady and Yao. Yao and Howard need to take advantage of our weak interior defense. Heck, everyone does. I just hope the Warriors dont get intimidated by Yao and take him out of the game by drawing fouls on him...</div>
    the reason "everyone" predicts the Rockets to win is because the reason winning Streak of 4 over the Western Conference elites, all blow outs except against Seatle. With the rejoining of Sura, and the bench spark and PG Depth provided by Mike James, the Rockets are playing sound. Through the last couple of games it is evident that, although trying to take out Yao and McGrady solely is a start, every1 in our rotation can score at any given time.
    But obviously with any team that has improved like the Warriors, it is smart not to take them for granted, should be a good game.

*PS* Not to mention ur in the Rockets forum

8. bplld

bplld JBB JustBBall Member

I thought the rockets are the best defensive rebounding team in the league.
    The rockets should easily win this game, 110-90

9. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting bplld:</div><div class="quote_post">I thought the rockets are the best defensive rebounding team in the league.
    The rockets should easily win this game, 110-90</div>
    Well, we sure have been rebounding better since Howard has started over Mo Taylor, but inconsistency on the defensive boards hurt us a lot. You saw what happened when we faced Seattle at home, and Tyson Chandler had 9 offensive boards against us.

Btw, found these little snippets that I thought I might share with you guys.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">This season the Rockets are
    ? 17-2 when Tracy McGrady reaches 30 points.
    ? 15-2 when Juwan Howard reaches eight rebounds.
    ? 15-5 when Bob Sura reaches six assists.
    ? 14-5 when Yao Ming collects a double-double.
    ? 5-1 when Mike James reaches four assists.
    ? 5-1 when Jon Barry makes at least three 3-pointers.
    ? 5-1 when Dikembe Mutombo reaches three blocks.
    ? 5-2 when Scott Padgett makes multiple three 3-pointers.
    ? 4-0 when Ryan Bowen starts.
    ? 4-1 when David Wesley reaches three steals.
    ? 3-0 when Charlie Ward makes exactly two free throws.
    ? 3-1 when Clarence Weatherspoon attempts a free throw.
    ? 3-1 when Andre Barrett plays at least 24 minutes.
    ? 2-1 when ?Moochie? Norris delivers an assist.
    ? 1-0 when Vin Baker plays.</div>If Howard can get 8 boards, which is pretty much his norm nowadays, we should have a great chance of winning the game.

10. T-Clutch-Mac

This season the Rockets are
    ? 17-2 when Tracy McGrady reaches 30 points.
    ? 15-2 when Juwan Howard reaches eight rebounds.
    ? 15-5 when Bob Sura reaches six assists.
    ? 14-5 when Yao Ming collects a double-double.
    ? 5-1 when Mike James reaches four assists.
    ? 5-1 when Jon Barry makes at least three 3-pointers.
    ? 5-1 when Dikembe Mutombo reaches three blocks.
    ? 5-2 when Scott Padgett makes multiple three 3-pointers.
    ? 4-0 when Ryan Bowen starts.
    ? 4-1 when David Wesley reaches three steals.
    ? 3-0 when Charlie Ward makes exactly two free throws.
    ? 3-1 when Clarence Weatherspoon attempts a free throw.
    ? 3-1 when Andre Barrett plays at least 24 minutes.
    ? 2-1 when ?Moochie? Norris delivers an assist.
    ? 1-0 when Vin Baker plays.

good stuff [​IMG]

11. ronin

ronin JBB JustBBall Member

truthfully, im afraid of baron davis....
    i got a feeling that he can hurt rockets today... well hopefully not..

12. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting whatever:</div><div class="quote_post">truthfully, im afraid of baron davis....
    i got a feeling that he can hurt rockets today... well hopefully not..</div>
    Rightfully so. Baron hit 6 threes on Saturday night, and he's so streaky that he might do it again this game. But I expect Sura, James and Wesley to do a good job on him defensively. What I fear most is Jason Richardson killing us with his penetration and drawing fouls on Yao. McGrady is the only one quick enough to guard him but that would leave Sura or Wesley, most likely Sura on Dunleavy, who could also burn us.

13. T-Clutch-Mac

Rockets were at a quickness disadvantage like this against Pheonix, and we combated it wonderfully. Id like to see more of the same, perhaps put McGrady on J-Rich, Wesley on Davis, Sura on Dunleavy, then when James comes in rotate McGrady to Dunleavy and put James on J-Rich, who is probably just as quick and strong.

*EDIT* Or just trusting JVG is a good idea...

14. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

Actually, I think this is one of those games where Houston's offense would be more important than defense. We have all the options here at James, McGrady, Yao, Wesley, and Barry who can all outscore their respective Golden State counterparts. I mean, we should play defense, just that it shouldn't be the main focus here.

Davis I don't think should be too much of a problem for Houston. If Wesley, Sura, or James can get a hand in his face when he shoots, he shouldn't be too much of a three point threat. Meanwhile, James should be blowing him away offensively since he is much more athletic than him and able to run more. However, the guy guarding Richardson will be the key. He can't let Richardson penetrate, but if he does, Yao better rotate out or just stand there to try and take the hit.

15. ronin

ronin JBB JustBBall Member

i just heard from the game preview commentator that mike dunleavy will not play tonight due to ankle injury..
    AGAIN.. another key player from opposing team will not play against us.. what a coincidence..

16. T-Clutch-Mac

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting whatever:</div><div class="quote_post">i just heard from the game preview commentator that mike dunleavy will not play tonight due to ankle injury..
    AGAIN.. another key player from opposing team will not play against us.. what a coincidence..</div>
    im officially freaked!!!! Deja Vu like fitty times in a row!

17. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting AznxBaller:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually, I think this is one of those games where Houston's offense would be more important than defense. We have all the options here at James, McGrady, Yao, Wesley, and Barry who can all outscore their respective Golden State counterparts. I mean, we should play defense, just that it shouldn't be the main focus here.

Davis I don't think should be too much of a problem for Houston. If Wesley, Sura, or James can get a hand in his face when he shoots, he shouldn't be too much of a three point threat. Meanwhile, James should be blowing him away offensively since he is much more athletic than him and able to run more. However, the guy guarding Richardson will be the key. He can't let Richardson penetrate, but if he does, Yao better rotate out or just stand there to try and take the hit.</div>
    James is fast, yes, but with Davis we have a former dunk contest participant and a top 15 player down-the-court speed wise. Athletically, James will be at a disadvantage.

Anyways, Rockets lead 45-37 at the break. Zarko Carbakapa is killing us with his hustle, while on offense we're just depending on the three too much, and we're not making them too. When Foyle is on Yao, it's hard to dump it down low to him but Yao powers his way through when Murph is on him. Let's hope McGrady will be able to take over the game in the second half. We can't let the Warriors hang around still.

18. T-Clutch-Mac

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">[​IMG]

We've gotta keep an eye on that guy though. His mid-range shot is deadly, and has three-point range even. Great rebounder as well, a threat for a double-double each night. He's not a great defender though, so Howard should also get a pretty good night as Murphy tends to be lazy on defense. Keeping Baron Davis in check should be key tonight.</div>

Good Call on Murphy,Trip. I mean if you dont gaurd the guy of course he can put 20+ on us. Ill know next time not to make him mad next by insulting his gigantic nose.

19. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting T-Clutch-Mac:</div><div class="quote_post">Good Call on Murphy,Trip. I mean if you dont gaurd the guy of course he can put 20+ on us. Ill know next time not to make him mad next by insulting his gigantic nose.</div>
    He's scoring all he wants, but I'm more concerned about Zarko. 17 pooints in 19 minutes. We have no one quick and big enough to gaurd him. He's killing us. Looks like Yao is having a good rebounding game, 11 so far. And Howard is one away from that 8 which gets us to 15-2 every time he reaches that mark.

EDIT: Pietrus is killing us!!

20. T-Clutch-Mac

Zarksdgdf Juparkafdsgsrhg omg i hate u! he keeps hitting 3 atfer 3

BTW Howard got hurt early 4th and he has a sprained right knee, hopefully it isnt too bad

im going to go curl up in the corner Pietras just hit a 3 and a foul.