NBA Draft: Marvin Williams, to Declare or Stay?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Shapecity, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">His parents named him Marvin Gaye Williams, in honor of the soulful singer. His teammates call him "The Big Bruiser" in deference to his freewheeling, fearless practice style. Reserve Jesse Holley, whose athletics major is football, summarizes Williams' skills simply: "Ain't nothing he can't do."

Where Williams might do his work next year depends on many factors. Williams traveled across the country from Bremerton, Wash., to join the Tar Heels, although the NBA would have made him rich straight out of high school.

People close to Williams, including teammates, portray him as engrossed in college life outside basketball. These associates consider Williams a much more likely bet to return than junior Raymond Felton or junior Rashad McCants. The same folks expect May back.

Williams constantly reaffirms his love of college basketball, but his pronouncement on the NBA issue yesterday seemed more two-sided, and undecided, than usual.

"I'll be here next year, for right now," Williams said. "I'll sit down and talk to Coach about that at the end of the season. Most likely, I'll be here next year."

Most likely, pro analysts will keep Williams and Wake Forest's Chris Paul in their mock drafts until the undergraduate-application date passes. The Inside Hoops scouting website lists Williams first, Andrew Bogut of Utah second and Paul third (Charlotte's draft slot). NBA Draft.net ranks Bogut first, Paul second and Williams third.

Those positions mean instant fortunes. The 2004 top pick, Dwight Howard, signed a three-year contract for $13.5 million with options padding the deal to $27.4 million over five years. No. 2 Emeka Okafor will make $12 million guaranteed and possibly $25.5 million over five years. No. 3 Ben Gordon will make from $10.8 million over three years to $22.1 million over five years.

That sounds like a ton of money regardless, particularly for a freshman reserve averaging 11.5 points and 6.5 rebounds, but the NCAA opener demonstrated Williams' unlimited potential in ways that many witnesses hadn't noticed before.

This is the same budding superstar who beat Duke on an instinctive rebound basket and converts 85 percent of his foul shots. This is the same tall blur with a classic attitude and a homecoming date next season, if he wants it.

Carolina has tentatively scheduled a game at the University of Washington. The contracts await signatures, and the signatures await Williams' final word.</div> Source

2. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

go go go

let him GO!! better for my UConn and Duke boys if he does.....

3. Timberwolf

Timberwolf JBB JustBBall Member

I think if UNC wins it all this year, he will likely declare in the draft.

4. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

Considering the instant mega $$$,assuming someone picks him top 5, declaring makes sense. I think he's physically impressive and has a shooter's touch outside. I also see him as soft as a rebounder,raw inside moves on offense and worthless on D, and if that gets him top 3 money I wonder if he will be motivated to become a great all around player. As is,I would not use a top 10 pick on him,I question his desire and work habits-and without those, potential is hollow stuff

5. KICKSDADDY613

KICKSDADDY613 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">Considering the instant mega $$$,assuming someone picks him top 5, declaring makes sense. I think he's physically impressive and has a shooter's touch outside. I also see him as soft as a rebounder,raw inside moves on offense and worthless on D, and if that gets him top 3 money I wonder if he will be motivated to become a great all around player. As is,I would not use a top 10 pick on him,I question his desire and work habits-and without those, potential is hollow stuff</div>

UH OH, HERE WE GO AGAIN. ONCE AGAIN, YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NOT WATCHED ANY OF HIS GAMES IN THE TORNAMENT THUS FAR. GAMES SHOW SHOW SO LITTLE, ONCE HE GETS INTO PERSONAL PRE-DRAFT WORKOUTS, WHICH IS WHERE ANY SCOUT WILL TELL YOU GARNERS 50% OF THEIR OPINION ON A PLAYERS ABILITY, HE IS GOING TO BLOW ANYONE ON THE BOARD AWAY. I WAS CHATTING WITH A GUY AT THE MCDONALDS GAME LAST YEAR WHO WAS DOING SOME SCOUTING (DONT WORRY I'M NOT SAYING FOR WHICH TEAM) AND HIS NOTE PAD READ THE FOLLOWING ON MARVIN GAYE WILLIMAS....

-JUMPING ABILITY AND EXPLOSIVNESS OFF THE GROUND COMPARED TO THAT OF SHAWN KEMP (MORE HEART AND DESIRE)
    -ATHLETICISM AND BODY TO BECOME A MORE POWERFUL SCOTTIE PIPPEN (CAN SHOOT FROM 23' AND CAN HANDLE AND DEFEND)
    -HAS 5 TOOL ABILITY WITH SHOOTING, PASSING, REBOUNDING, EXPLOSIVNESS AND HUSTLE
    -COULD USE POLISH ON THE BLOCKS
    -TENDS TO SIT BACK AND BE LESS AGRESSIVE
    -WHEN ALL SAID AND DONE, THIS KID WILL BE A TOP 5 SLECTION WHEN HE DECLARES. HAS TOO MUCH ATHLETIC ABILITY AND PLAYS WITH SO MUCH KNOWLDGE AND PASSION HE IS FAR AND ABOVE THE PLAYERS IN HIS CLASS AS FAR AS COACHABLILITY. A CLASS KID WHO WILL DO ANY ORGANIZATION PROUD. [​IMG]

SO, NEEDLESS TO SAY, I'M GOING WITH THE EXPERTS ON THIS ONE AND SAYING THE OPINIONS OF THE AMATURES TO THIS BOARD. [​IMG]

THE BELOW STATMENTS ARE FROM ESPN INSIDERS.

Marvin Williams, SF, North Carolina
    The line: 20 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 70 percent shooting in 24.5 mpg
    The skinny: Williams was already a consensus top-three pick heading into the tournament. But his spectacular play in the first two games strengthens what we've been saying for the past six weeks ? as far as NBA prospects go, he's the top guy on the board. Williams got it done both inside and outside Sunday, hitting two big 3-pointers and gritting out points inside. His versatility and poise for an 18-year-old are remarkable. That he saved his two best games of the year for the tournament speaks volumes about his potential. If Williams were playing 35 minutes per game, as most players with his talent do, his numbers would be off the charts. Williams remains on the fence about declaring for the NBA, but once UNC coach Roy Williams and Marvin Williams' family start getting real feedback from NBA teams about where the player's stock is, it's tough to imagine that he won't at least test the waters. Wake Forest's Chris Paul might be drafted ahead of Williams by a point-guard-starved team, but in Insider's eyes, Williams is the best prospect on the board.

6. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Marvin Williams was a top 5 pick coming out of highschool, I think he's a top 3 lock this year, depending on Chris Paul declaring and how the draft order goes.

So far I've seen Marvin Williams able to knock down the set jumper, but is he able to shoot off the dribble? His skill set reminds a lot of Tim Thomas when he played at Villanova. His mental game is superior to Tim Thomas, and I'm sure he has a better work ethic. Tim Thomas struggled being able to hit the mid range pull up jumper when he got to the pros.

7. fatballer_10

fatballer_10 JBB JustBBall Member

Unless they win the NCAA championship, i would expect to see Williams back in Carolina blue next season. Yes he is definitely good enough to go right now, but i think in order to learn the game to become even more effective, another season under Roy Williams may just be what he needs.

8. REREM

Against some poor 16 seed a guy with his athletic ability can shine,last game against Duke..where was Marvin? Did you SEE that game? Did ANYONE see Marvin play D for a few plays in that game? Hell, I assumed I'd seen him on an off day before that one. What did Superstar of the Year Marvin do against G Tech,on TV, in the ACC tournament? Did you watch that,KA Daddy? I know you hang with all those experts,but did you see the G Tech loss when Tech knew the guy MW guarded had virtual free throws? As I said before,IF and WHEN he hustles hes top 5,until then, no big deal

9. KICKSDADDY613

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">Against some poor 16 seed a guy with his athletic ability can shine,last game against Duke..where was Marvin? Did you SEE that game? Did ANYONE see Marvin play D for a few plays in that game? Hell, I assumed I'd seen him on an off day before that one. What did Superstar of the Year Marvin do against G Tech,on TV, in the ACC tournament? Did you watch that,KA Daddy? I know you hang with all those experts,but did you see the G Tech loss when Tech knew the guy MW guarded had virtual free throws? As I said before,IF and WHEN he hustles hes top 5,until then, no big deal</div>

Yes, I do "hang" with the experts, and thats what they are. They get paid obscene amounts of money to evaluet talent, not you, which is why their opinion matters, not mine, or yours. I knew the whole "16 seed" garbage would come from you. (I beleive I even called you out on that earlier in the post) However, if I remember correctly, Marvin is the one who had the amazing offensive rebound on a missed free throw, hit a sweet half hook and a free throw to ice the game against Duke. Or weren't YOU watching that game? And as far as GT goes, NO ONE on UNC played in that game, so I'm not faulting Marvin, who by the way, 5 days before the Duke game just came off an injury in which he was out for a couple weeks. Less to forget. And look at those numbers, the 20ppg and the 11.5 rebounds. HELLO, that's in only 24 minutes per game! Imagine if he played 30-35 a night like Felton or McCants or May. We're talking insane numbers. But, hey, it's ok, when he gets a Top 3 pick and bank rolls it, AND is an All Star, then we'll come back to this post and see whats what. (I am now saving this post for future references!)

10. REREM

There are at least 30 guys in the NBA who were lottery picks and now are worth,at best,a late #2. The Warriors recently got a pair,Rodney White and Tshikavili,for nearly nothing. It's not just Basketball,remember Ryan Leaf,Todd Von Poppel? A lot of well paid experts got suckered. How awesome is Shawn Bradley? What ever became of Chris Washburn,or for that matter, Darko? This whole forum would be a waste of time if in fact the "pros" were better at what they do. I don't automatically give a prospect credit just because various internet rumours say he's the next big star. I want to see some evidence. Against Duke Sheldon Williams blocked Marvin 4 times when the kid tried to take it inside. Marvin has a few golden moments,gets a nice highlight play or two every game but too often he cruises,seems uninspired,and as he is not on the floor the whole game I can't understand him not showing a full effort. NBA seasons are a long,wearing test of will,conditioning and desire as much as a test of raw talent

11. KICKSDADDY613

*cough, Cough*

I Love Our Little Spats. Truth Be Told, Yes, There Are A Lot Of Hyped Up Players. Too Many For That Matter. However, You Need To Examine History. And Your Assesment Of Him Coasting And Be Lazy, It Rediculous. And I Know You've Based Your Opinion On Basically A Couple Games. You've Admitted You Havent Watched Him Closely All Season. Sheldon Did Block A Couple Of His Shots, Yes, As He Did To Almost Everyone That Day, But We're Talking About One Of The, If Not The, Best Shot Blocker In College. Hell, I Dont Care How Much I've Scored In Game In My Career, I Once Had A Game Of 56, But On That Last Shot Of The Game, I Went Up Hard And Got Brutally Rejected, You Know What You Do, Smile, Say Damn, Nice D, And Stroll On. It Doesnt Affect A Good Player, And Marvin Kept Attacking, Thats Called Heart Guts And Fearlesness. Also, As I've Said, His Ability To Be Coachable, His Desire, And His Efforts Are All Things Couts Are Enamored With, And That Kind Of Ability Is What Seperates Him From Just Plain Freak Ability, Like Say Charlie V.

12. bbwTwinTowers

bbwTwinTowers BBW Member

If your a top 2 pick you better go. He might need another year to develop more but if your going tops in the draft, go for it.

13. GotPT

GotPT JBB JustBBall Member

Marvin should stay. Roy Williams is one of the best coaches ever in college basketball and may be able to help Marvin take his game to another level. One thing Marvin could improve on is dribbling, passing, and long range shooting. Then, he would be a for sure #1 pick unless he's up against OJ Mayo or Greg Oden [​IMG].

14. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

It all depends what happens in the next couple of weeks. If North Carolina wins the championship, then I think you can see May, Felton, Mccants, and Marvin all bolt town. If UNC loses tonight to 'Nova or in the elite eight you may see Marvin come back trying to bring home a title.

Either way if a scout comes up to Marvin after the tourney and says he would be a sure number one pick then I think he will bolt regardless of what happens. Too good of an opportunity to pass up...

15. REREM

OJ Mayo is only a soph,so 07 is when he's draftable

16. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

I'm thinking May might stay for another year. Another year at UNC will do him some good, and maybe rise his stock a bit.

17. GotPT

GotPT JBB JustBBall Member

I have read numerous reports that Sean May is 75/25 on coming back. Unless he is a top five pick where he says he knows he is not. He is also trying to get Marvin to come back since May was acting like Felton and McCants are for sure goners.

18. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> OJ Mayo is only a soph,so 07 is when he's draftable</div>
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Then, he would be a for sure #1 pick unless he's up against OJ Mayo or Greg Oden [​IMG].</div>
    A big reason for his staying is that these guys most likely wont be able to be drafted out of high-school. The reports say that the new CBA will almost certainly inculde a age limit which is why we will see a lot of Europeans pull out of the draft this year.

19. J-Smoove

J-Smoove JBB JustBBall Member

Oden won't enter draft in '06, according to many sources.

I hope that Marvin Williams stays, but I would LOVE to see him enter the NBA. A #1 Pick with LOADS of potential.

If he stays, more pride to my UNC babies.. If not, i'll root for whatever team he's playing for. This kids my favorite player in college. Downright NASTY baller. Hopefully, i don't jinx him, cuz I had faith in Rodney White, many people compare to on his downside.