Article: Frustrated Rose lashes teammates

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by og15, Mar 31, 2005.

1. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Afterward, Rose lashed out at his team without naming any names, claiming that in his 11-year NBA career he has never witnessed the lack of commitment to winning that his fellow Raptors have displayed with such maddening regularity.

"We are not playing to win," Rose said. "We don't play together. We are just out there playing because it is on the schedule. It is disappointing and frustrating. At the end of the day, a lot of our problems are self-inflicted."

Rose said he doesn't blame the coaching staff, but rather his teammates.

"There has been a lot of individual play and it shows by our record," Rose said. "It has to do with knowing how to win and respecting a guy one through 15 and going out and sacrificing.

"Obviously that is something that you learn how to do. Some guys learn it and some guys never learn it. When you have a record like we do, it is not all just basketball. Trust me, we are better than a 29-win team."</div>

Source

2. Nasty

Nasty JBB Sorry, I killed Fever

I don't have a direct view of what's going on between the players themselves, but from what I see game in game out, most players (Jalen, Chris, Rafer, Matt, Hoffa, Milt and even Pape) are giving 100%.

Now, obviously Jalen might have seen or witnessed someone slacking off on the court or something that was said in the lockerroom, from what I see, the players mentioned above play their butts off, and you could tell.

But, yes players such as Donyell, Lamond, Eric, and Aaron don't seem to be playing with the intesity and within the team structure for us to win games.
    I like the fact that Jalen had the balls to come up and call the team out, I'm afraid it's too late.

3. raptors4life

raptors4life JBB JustBBall Member

^Donyell?? That's odd, I usually see him as the Raptor that boosts the team's confidence in games.

4. og15

og15 JBB *********

Well those guys: Lammond, Aaron, and Eric Williams don't really get much PT, so I don't understand why he'd be angry at them...

5. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Oh the irony of Jalen Rose. The same things he's complaining about, are the same things his former teammates, coaches, and GMs accused him of.

Again, why do players have to cry to the media about internal issues? The Raptors have a lot of things to look forward to, and they should spend their remaining games working on building blocks for next season. Instead Rose is lashing out at his teammates to the media. What does he hope to accomplish by this?

6. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

good point

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Oh the irony of Jalen Rose. The same things he's complaining about, are the same things his former teammates, coaches, and GMs accused him of.

Again, why do players have to cry to the media about internal issues? The Raptors have a lot of things to look forward to, and they should spend their remaining games working on building blocks for next season. Instead Rose is lashing out at his teammates to the media. What does he hope to accomplish by this?</div>

good point about the irony.....I too dont understand what he is hoping to accomplish by this.....embarrising your teammates in front of the media is just WRONG!!

7. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Has anyone seen the article in the Star today that was Feschuk's latest idiot opinion? This time, he lashes out on everyone from Skip to Mitchell to Babcock. Hell, I might be disappointed with the Raptors but I won't make everyone out to be retards.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Sam Mitchell enjoys a day in the sun, especially when it's paired with 14 clubs and 18 holes and 70-something strokes. But when he was asked yesterday whether he'd used the Raptors' time in Florida to indulge his passion for tee and green, Mitchell, a six handicapper, shook his head.

"If we don't make the playoffs, I've got the rest of the summer to play golf," he said. "It would probably be nice to take a break and put my mind to something else and I probably need to do that. But this year I just haven't been able to feel like I can step away from it right now."

Mitchell was lying through his teeth. A club official conceded that the coach had snuck in 18 holes in Miami on Monday after practice. There was talk that today, with the team not leaving for Charlotte until 5 p.m., a good walk might be spoiled yet again. But for unknown reasons ? perhaps the crushing guilt any family man feels when he spends five hours chasing the evil dimples; perhaps the creeping franchise-wide penchant for fibbing to the media ? Mitchell couldn't bring himself to talk about his most recent round.

Sam: We asked if you'd been to a golf club, not the Gold Club.

But Mitchell, indeed, is image-conscious. What coach of a sub-.500 lottery-bound club isn't? Perhaps he was concerned with the optics of spending four days in Florida, playing two rounds of resort golf and losing two games by a combined 24 points. Alas, if Mitchell tees it up today, that'll be the sad truth.</div>

<div align="center">Link</div>

8. Nasty

Man, I wish I could run into Feschuk on the street around Midnight.

9. Fabfive

Fabfive JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Oh the irony of Jalen Rose. The same things he's complaining about, are the same things his former teammates, coaches, and GMs accused him of.

Again, why do players have to cry to the media about internal issues? The Raptors have a lot of things to look forward to, and they should spend their remaining games working on building blocks for next season. Instead Rose is lashing out at his teammates to the media. What does he hope to accomplish by this?</div>

Whats wrong with challenging your team to actually WANT TO PLAY TO WIN?

It might be embarrassing, but watching the way they played against the Magic is more embarrassing than being called out to the media. If thats the way the Raps wanna play, we the fans might as well tune in to the other games that are actually worthy of watching. Heck, they might as well start their bench guys if the starters are gonna play like a bunch of rec center players.

You gotta give him credit for speaking out, does anyone else on this team have enough balls to come out and challenge them? Where's the mighty CB4 in all this? Since he's the new "franchise" player, why didnt he come out and challenge them? He is their "leader" so to speak...

10. og15

og15 JBB *********

^
    Bosh isn't a leader, at least not yet, I don't know if he'll be a "leader" down the line, but right now he's definately not one, and I don't think anyone refers to him as one. He's just the most talented player on the team.

11. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

^Rafer just referred to Bosh as a great leader in the article I just posted.

In regards to Jalen talking to the media: I have no problem with that WHATSOEVER. Someone had to say something. Jalen currently is Toronto's leader and if that is what he feels that he has to do to spark a fire under their asses then sobeit.

12. og15

og15 JBB *********

Well that's good, I'm guessing he's reffering to leading by example in terms of how he plays because the vocal leader on the team is clearly Jalen Rose.

Anyways, let's hope everything is settled down, because I really don't feel we'll make too many moves in the off-season.

13. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Fabfive:</div><div class="quote_post">Whats wrong with challenging your team to actually WANT TO PLAY TO WIN?

It might be embarrassing, but watching the way they played against the Magic is more embarrassing than being called out to the media. If thats the way the Raps wanna play, we the fans might as well tune in to the other games that are actually worthy of watching. Heck, they might as well start their bench guys if the starters are gonna play like a bunch of rec center players.

You gotta give him credit for speaking out, does anyone else on this team have enough balls to come out and challenge them? Where's the mighty CB4 in all this? Since he's the new "franchise" player, why didnt he come out and challenge them? He is their "leader" so to speak...</div>
    Nothing is wrong with challenging your team. But EVERYTHING is wrong about challenging them when you have to cry to the media about it and make it a public issue.

14. og15

og15 JBB *********

^
    Very true, does he actually have to tell the media, this is something that could very well stay in the locker room, and not come out, but as a fan, I wouldn't say I'm angry, since I'd like to know about things like that.

15. Nasty

Bosh isn't a leader yet, but he's on the verge of being one. A good one.

The only problem I have with what Jalen said is that it didn't come out from a leadership perspective, rather it was the result of some clashes with him and Mo against Rafer.

If Jalen was so worried about players going out and giving 100%, why didn't he call Vince out at the beggining of the season when the game actually mattered and Vince was playing terrible ball?? Why didn't he step up and say the same things?
    Or when Vince admitted he wasn't giving 100% when he was here in terms of work ethic, why was he the only one who backed up Vince, and didn't take a shot at him?

Yet, now after all the playoffs hopes have been buried, he chooses to come out and shows his unhappiness??

I like JR, but this shlt has nothing to do with leadership or being a leader, he and Mo have a personal problem with Rafer, and you could see it on the court.