NBA Draft: Azubuike to Test NBA Draft Waters

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Shapecity, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">ST. LOUIS - Kentucky's leading scorer this past season, Kelenna Azubuike, plans to place his name in the NBA Draft.

UK Coach Tubby Smith confirmed that open secret yesterday. Smith added that he would counsel Azubuike not to retain an agent so the player can keep the option of returning to Kentucky next season.

"Let's not go out and get an agent," Smith said he told Azubuike. "Don't do anything you'd regret."

Azubuike, a 6-foot-5 junior guard, led the Cats in scoring and was the team's second-best rebounder this past season.

Smith noted the experience of former UK guard Keith Bogans. Bogans entered the NBA Draft after his junior season, learned at the league's Chicago Pre-Draft Camp that he was not a hot commodity and then elevated his status with a standout senior season.

"We've had players where it's been pretty beneficial" to test the NBA waters, Smith said.

The UK coach suggested that Azubuike could gain similar insight into his strengths and weaknesses.

"What he does with it, that's what concerns me," Smith said.</div> Source

2. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

This is stupid on Azubuike's part because it's obvious that he's not ready for the NBA. One more year of college ball could most likely make him a first round pick in the 2006 draft, so don't do something you'd regret, Kelenna.

3. CUSA Fan

CUSA Fan JBB JustBBall Member

I think he's doing it, moreso to see where he is projected at, rather than actually declaring and going into the draft, no matter what. You never know, if he realizes that he may not be projected as being a high pick, it could cause him to step up his game next season at Kentucky, and can improve his draft position in the draft proceeding the college season. I honestly do not think he will leave Kentucky this year for the draft, but with these college players, you never know.

4. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

I do not think Azubuike is ready but if he is 100% sure that he will go in the first round then I think he will have to leave. If not, see you in Kentucky next year [​IMG]