NBA Draft: Andre Blatche Skips College, Declares for Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Shapecity, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">To the list of high school to NBA prodigies that includes Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwight Howard, add Andray Blatche's name.

Blatche, a 6-foot-11 forward from Syracuse who is currently attending South Kent (Conn.) Prep School, said Friday that he will bypass college and enter this year's NBA draft.

"I feel that I'm ready," Blatche said in a telephone conversation from Richmond, Va., where he was preparing to play in the Commonwealth Classic All-Star Game on Friday night. "I had a good year at South Kent. It's prepared me for this decision. I feel like this is a great opportunity for me."

A year ago, Blatche led Henninger High School to a 20-5 record and the Section 3 Class AA championship, while averaging 25 points, 18 rebounds and eight blocks. This season, he averaged 27.5 points, 16 rebounds and six blocks at South Kent, which finished with a 32-9 overall record.

"It was way better competition than in high school," Blatche said. "I played against guys that were older than me and physically tougher. They made me better."

The 18-year-old has also gone from weighing 230 pounds last September to 248 pounds by the end of South Kent's season.

"He's improved athletically and maturity-wise," South Kent coach Raphael Chillious said. "I think this year has been best for him maturity-wise. He's shown that he can handle the work that's necessary both in the classroom and in practice."

Blatche was recently named one of 10 finalists for the Naismith Trophy, which honors the country's top male high school player. The winner of the award, presented by the Atlanta Tipoff Club and POWERade, will be announced on April 8 in Atlanta. Clark Francis, the editor of hoopscooponline.com, ranked Blatche as the nation's No. 1 prep school player. </div> Source