Rick Sund

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Seattle SuperSonics will begin working on a contract extension for general manager Rick Sund in the next few weeks, with the hope that an agreement can be reached within the next month.

Meanwhile, team sources said coach Nate McMillan is expected to contact his agent this week to have him initiate discussions for a new contract.

Sonics CEO Wally Walker had breakfast with Sund two weeks ago to discuss opening contract talks. Sund told Walker he wanted to wait until the end of the season, but that has changed.

?I think being a free agent is the common denominator (we have) with all the players,? Sund said. ?We don?t want any distractions.?

Walker has spoken with McMillan?s agent, Lonnie Cooper, sporadically over the past few months to touch base on when to open negotiations, but McMillan voiced the same concern as Sund.

?I didn?t want any distractions,? the coach said. ?We hadn?t completed the season, and I wanted to be evaluated on the entire season.?

Now, however, both men are ready to negotiate ? and Sund thinks the Sonics will oblige.

?I assume they want us back,? Sund said. ?Picking up the phone and calling (two weeks ago) is a pretty good indication that they want us back. In terms of me, Howard (Schultz, the team?s principal owner) told me he would love to have me back.?

Schultz has told other sources close to the team that he values Sund, and that he gives Sund a great deal of credit for showing patience and keeping together the nucleus of this team at a time when some thought the team had poor chemistry.

Walker confirmed that if Sund and McMillan want to begin negotiations, the team is open to the idea.</div>
    <font size="1">
    Full Story courtesy of Frank Hughes and the Tacoma Tribune.</font>

All sounds like a formality, although there has apparently been interest from Cleveland, which will give Ricky a bit of leverage in contract talks.

Amazing how opinions of the management seem to have turned around, however they will really earn their money this summer.

2. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

One of the best GM's in the business right now and I'll be estatic if/when he returns to the Emerald City.

You really have to have a vision when you decide to trade the city's most beloved superstar. I was totally against the trade at first, but even I can admit that we definitely made the right decision. He has shown remarkable patience in an era where everyone feels as if the grass is greener on the other side. I can't say enough about how impressed I am with Sund.

This roster was put together in hopes that each player would have the opportunity to improve and collectively the team would grow as a unit. No one thought that we had the right pieces to make a serious run at any sort of title. Rick stood firm and trusted that a healthy roster could compete against the league's best. Something has to be said about that type of foresight.

Sund for Executive of the Year. Buck the trend, fam.

3. Coolguy777

Coolguy777 JBB JustBBall Member

I completely agree....hes been great over here so far.