The Experts on the NFC EAST

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by Giantsfan1, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

We all hate them, agreed?

I serioulsy can't stand the Giants hype right now. YES I SAID GIANTS HYPE, I swear with the NFC east its teh cool thing to pick teh guy at the top and then forget about them two weeks later.

Lets review

Cowboys/Redskins favorites into preseason
    End of Preseason: Cowboys
    Week 1-6: Eagles
    now: Giants

I find it funny how " competitive" this division is.

Honestly its now a 2 team race between Philly and New York......

The Cowboys have now committed to Romo and even if tehy put Bledsoe in, he has played the way I predicted since he jopined the team.

The Redskins are a joke and it looks like cambell is going to be next in reign which should be fun considering I think he will be a bust.

2. cubuffsman78

cubuffsman78 nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giantsfan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>We all hate them, agreed?

I serioulsy can't stand the Giants hype right now. YES I SAID GIANTS HYPE, I swear with the NFC east its teh cool thing to pick teh guy at the top and then forget about them two weeks later.

Lets review

Cowboys/Redskins favorites into preseason
    End of Preseason: Cowboys
    Week 1-6: Eagles
    now: Giants

I find it funny how " competitive" this division is.

Honestly its now a 2 team race between Philly and New York......

The Cowboys have now committed to Romo and even if tehy put Bledsoe in, he has played the way I predicted since he jopined the team.

The Redskins are a joke and it looks like cambell is going to be next in reign which should be fun considering I think he will be a bust.</div>
    It's nice to hear a Giants fan be sick of the Giants hype or to even acknowledge the hype of the Giants. It is the medias job to overreact. They all do it. They Giants do look like they could be the top team in the division right now, but let's face it...all of this can change so quickly. I'm hearing that the Giants are the 2nd best team in the AFC now. That title did belong to Philly, but now with two gut wrenching losses, they're suddenly not in the same league as the Giants. Face it...both teams have vulnerabilities and on any given Sunday, those vulnerabilities can come out. The Cowboys and Redskins still have the ability to defeat either the Giants or the Eagles. The Cowboys weren't truly out of that game Monday until Romo's interception that was returned for a touchdown. Ironically, it was the same play that ended the Cowboys hopes in the Eagles game. It was just the other QB that threw it.

3. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

I have to agree. These analysts are worthless, but they are doing what they are paid to do.

I also have to disagree with you for the same exact reason. Regardless of what you think about the QB situation, Parcells won't simply write off this season when he is only 1 game out of the division lead. How do you count them out? Eli Manning came in during week 11 a couple years ago and went 17 of 37 (46%) with 1 TD and 2 INTS. By the last game of the year, he was developing into a good player with better stats. Romo went 56% on 14 of 25, with 2 TDs and 3 INTs. In fact, except for having the two extra INTs, he had a better completion percentage, more yards, and more yards per pass than Manning in the same game. I'm not interested in comparing Romo to Manning that much, but the point is that no one knows what Romo is going to be, myself included.

The Giants were certainly the better team on Monday and deserved to win. However, I disagree with some that it was quite the pounding it was considered. I give the Giants credit for forcing turnovers. If they didn't a play in a couple crucial positions, there is probably 20 points there that could have gone differently.

The Redskins were also written of too early last year too.

As from the beginning of preseason, I still consider it the same competitive division and that its still anyone's game.

4. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cowboy71)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have to agree. These analysts are worthless, but they are doing what they are paid to do.

I also have to disagree with you for the same exact reason. Regardless of what you think about the QB situation, Parcells won't simply write off this season when he is only 1 game out of the division lead. How do you count them out? Eli Manning came in during week 11 a couple years ago and went 17 of 37 (46%) with 1 TD and 2 INTS. By the last game of the year, he was developing into a good player with better stats. Romo went 56% on 14 of 25, with 2 TDs and 3 INTs. In fact, except for having the two extra INTs, he had a better completion percentage, more yards, and more yards per pass than Manning in the same game. I'm not interested in comparing Romo to Manning that much, but the point is that no one knows what Romo is going to be, myself included.

The Giants were certainly the better team on Monday and deserved to win. However, I disagree with some that it was quite the pounding it was considered. I give the Giants credit for forcing turnovers. If they didn't a play in a couple crucial positions, there is probably 20 points there that could have gone differently.

As from the beginning of preseason, I still consider it the same competitive division and that its still anyone's game.</div>
    Now I understand you defending your team and quarterback but lets look here realistically. There is no way that a QB change from a 13 year veteran to a 4th year rookie(basically) is going to turn your team around into a playoff team. Does this scenario sound familiar. The Giants went through it 2 years ago, being a game within the eagles the Giants benched Warner and put in Manning. It was destruction until the next year, where we went 10-6 and made the playoffs. But the kid will make mistakes and teh way your defense was playing and your offensive line was playing, the cowboys have more problemds the their QB woes.

5. Cowboy71

Don't know that I would call that defending my QB when I admitted I dont know what we had. I defended the Redskins too, but since that makes my skin crawl, I just didn't go into detail.

As for the offensive line, wouldn't you agree that they would get better (or at least seem like it) with a more mobile QB. Everyone in the world criticizes Bledsoe for being so immobile and getting sacked all the time, and few people are going to say that Romo will be sacked as often. Whether the OL improves or not, its going to look a little like it.

Most of the defense is OK. Sure they have problems, but I can't criticize them for giving up 36 points when the offense had a lot to do with that...directly.

Like you said, a few weeks ago, everyone was writing off the Giants, especially after the Seattle debacle. How can your defense play like that and be a playoff team? Because you knew better.

I agree Romo will make plenty of mistakes. I knew Bledsoe would too. I have no guarantee that the Cowboys will make the playoffs, but I don't have a solid reason yet to write them off either.

6. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cowboy71)</div><div class='quotemain'>I agree Romo will make plenty of mistakes. I knew Bledsoe would too. I have no guarantee that the Cowboys will make the playoffs, but I don't have a solid reason yet to write them off either.</div>
    point taken you did ATTEMPT to defend the Redskins as well. And sure mathematically tehy are not oout of it.

A solid reason is history, how many teams have made a QB switch to a rookie/unexperienced player midseason and have still made the playoffs?

I dont know the exact answer but I guarantee you its a very low percentage.

7. cubuffsman78

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giantsfan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cowboy71)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have to agree. These analysts are worthless, but they are doing what they are paid to do.

As from the beginning of preseason, I still consider it the same competitive division and that its still anyone's game.</div>
    Now I understand you defending your team and quarterback but lets look here realistically. There is no way that a QB change from a 13 year veteran to a 4th year rookie(basically) is going to turn your team around into a playoff team. Does this scenario sound familiar. The Giants went through it 2 years ago, being a game within the eagles the Giants benched Warner and put in Manning. It was destruction until the next year, where we went 10-6 and made the playoffs. But the kid will make mistakes and teh way your defense was playing and your offensive line was playing, the cowboys have more problemds the their QB woes.</div>
    If I had to compare this Cowboys situation to anyones, then it would be San Diego's...not the Giants. Manning was a rookie. Romo is a 4 year player who has had 4 more years of practice and preseason than Manning did before he became a starter. This much more like San Diego going with Rivers over Brees this season. I'd say that it's worked out well for them. Now there are definitely some huge differences too. I'm not trying to deem Romo better or as good as than Rivers or Manning either. Just pointing out what the situation reminds me of. I didn't think that Rivers was going to have the success he's had. He's definitely proved me wrong. Any regular poster on this site knows that I'm also not a huge fan of Eli, but I'm not going to put Romo on a pedestal beside him yet either.

Outside of Cowboys fans or people in the Dallas area, no one really knows much about Romo. Cowboys fans got to find out a lot about him in the preseason this year and he let the city on fire. No one could stop singing his praises or chanting his name. While the national attention has been largely on TO. A large part of the local Dallas attention hasn't been off of Romo over Bledsoe since the 1st preseason game of this season. He's an exciting gunslinger type of QB.

Anyway, this topic has switched gears hasn't it? The NFC East is still a 3 team race in my opinon. The Cowboys aren't out of it yet, but they could be within the next few weeks. The rest of the schedule for the Boys is really tough, but so is the Giants, who at least have Houston and Tennessee still on the schedule, and the Eagles.

8. nflfan04

nflfan04 Dazed and Confused

Eagles-----> McNabb----->Detmer------> Feely

9. cubuffsman78

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nflfan04)</div><div class='quotemain'>Eagles-----> McNabb----->Detmer------> Feely</div>
    Huh? I dunno the relevance of this anyway, but isn't it McNabb, Garcia, Feeley?

10. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cubuffsman78)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nflfan04)</div><div class='quotemain'>Eagles-----> McNabb----->Detmer------> Feely</div>
    Huh? I dunno the relevance of this anyway, but isn't it McNabb, Garcia, Feeley?</div>
    he is reffering to I beleive the 2003 season in which mcnabb went down while they were 6-4......I beleive they ended 11-5. My point was that it is very rare and they had no choice.

11. cubuffsman78

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giantsfan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cubuffsman78)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nflfan04)</div><div class='quotemain'>Eagles-----> McNabb----->Detmer------> Feely</div>
    Huh? I dunno the relevance of this anyway, but isn't it McNabb, Garcia, Feeley?</div>
    he is reffering to I beleive the 2003 season in which mcnabb went down while they were 6-4......I beleive they ended 11-5. My point was that it is very rare and they had no choice.</div>
    It's still irrelevant. That is also a completely different situation from the Cowboys and Giants situations. The Eagles didn't have a choice. The Giants and Cowboys made the choice. No one thought that Detmer or Feeley would be the long term solutions because obviously McNabb would have his job back when he returned. The Giants found their franchise QB. The Cowboys are putting in Romo in hopes that he is the future at QB.

12. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

^ nailed it on the head. I agree 100%

13. Cowboy71

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giantsfan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cubuffsman78)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nflfan04)</div><div class='quotemain'>Eagles-----> McNabb----->Detmer------> Feely</div>
    he is reffering to I beleive the 2003 season in which mcnabb went down while they were 6-4......I beleive they ended 11-5. My point was that it is very rare and they had no choice.</div>
    The opportunities that this happens is rare, but the percentage of happy ending would not be as bad as you think. It has happened plenty of times lately. Yet another example:

Chad Pennington taking over the Jets from Vinnie in week 5. Chad had been on the bench with little or no playing time for 2 plus years. Behind Vinnie who Edwards was afraid to pull, because the Jets were expected to be a contender. And despite Vinnie's poor play he stayed with him till week 4 when they pulled Vinnie and went to Chad.

Pennington then took the Jets to the playoffs and won a first round game. Then took the Jets to the Championship game the following year.

14. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

Right but Pennington is or never was a gunslinger. Romo is a total different type of player.

BUt I agree it can happen but it definetely is rare.

15. Cowboy71

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giantsfan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Right but Pennington is or never was a gunslinger. Romo is a total different type of player.</div>
    LOL. And you get that from his first 36 minutes of professional football experience, especially when he is thrown in and forced to come from behind?

Gunslinger may be the best term for him, but you are smart enough to use your eyes instead of relying on the media to publish that phrase...or worse....that he is the next Brett Favre.

I can see I wont win this one. I was just comparing the situation, not Romo and Pennington. If you want me to come up with a previous example where a guy named Tony from Eastern Illinois did it, you will win [​IMG].

Maybe in four months, they'll be trading for a new QB. We'll see.

16. McChicken5

McChicken5 nfl-*****s member

Lets get back on track, The nfc east is going to be tigh till the end of the season because there are so many good teams and so many bad mistakes. The team that will win the nfc is the team that not only will play better but make less mistakes. I am a die hard eagles fan so i belive every year the eagles will win the nfc east and all that great stuff. And i still belive this but i also think it will be tight till the end of the year. I still think eagles are better then the giants because eagles have a better coach and more experinced qb. But giants are good also, i dfo think cowboys are out of it given there current qb sittuation and redskins i really do think are done. We will see what comes of this divsion at the end of the year but till then i gotta say FLY EAGLES FLY [​IMG].

17. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (McChicken5)</div><div class='quotemain'>Lets get back on track, The nfc east is going to be tigh till the end of the season because there are so many good teams and so many bad mistakes. The team that will win the nfc is the team that not only will play better but make less mistakes. I am a die hard eagles fan so i belive every year the eagles will win the nfc east and all that great stuff. And i still belive this but i also think it will be tight till the end of the year. I still think eagles are better then the giants because eagles have a better coach and more experinced qb. But giants are good also, i dfo think cowboys are out of it given there current qb sittuation and redskins i really do think are done. We will see what comes of this divsion at the end of the year but till then i gotta say FLY EAGLES FLY [​IMG].</div>
    Yea right, the eagles didnt even score a touchdown last week, your comment is void [​IMG]

No winner or loser Cowboy 71, we are just discussing. Romo proved to be something verse a good panther defense, but we will see.