Phil Jackson: Great Coach or Great Situation?

Discussion in 'Out of Bounds' started by PUREPOINT, Jun 18, 2005.

1. PUREPOINT

PUREPOINT JBB JustBBall Member

I'll be the first to admit it. I think Phil's overrated. Again.. when i say, he's overrated... i'm not saying, he's not a good coach....but is he the best ever? Noooooo! I think the reason mostly for his sucess (rings) is because he's been fortunate to be given the best players in the game throughout his coaching career. Jordan & Pippen! and too in their primes! Then he goes to the Left Coast and gets Shaq and Kobe! Shaq in his prime and Kobe is now nearing his prime.

After all the drama last off-season with the Lakers, why did he come back to the Lakers? why not take an upcoming team who's missing a "great coach" to get them over the hill. Why not the Cavs gig? Minnesota? Detroit?.

I'm not sayin, I'll give Phil props when he gets a ring with the Warriors or the Clippers.. but If he can get a ring with the Lakers with just ONE!! dominant player, then i'll give him his due.

2. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

I think it's a bit of both. He is arguably the greatest coach of All Time, but he has had the luxury of having the most dominant player in the league on his team whenever he has coached a team. I still think he is good enough though, to get the Lakers back to the playoffs.

3. jbbgrizz101

jbbgrizz101 JBB Banned Member

hes one overrated sob

4. Miami Flash City

Miami Flash City JBB All Day

I also think its both. Defenitely overated though

5. thedude9990

thedude9990 JBB JustBBall Member

hes overrated but he almost got pretty far with just pippen that one year. he also got shaq and kobe to work together for a while. and why doesnt he go to those teams well detriot isnt a up and coming team they won a title last year and they mite get a repeat. i dont know why he didnt go to mini or clevland but both teams also have one star