Nuggets Keeping Secrets

Discussion in 'Denver Nuggets' started by Shapecity, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Predictably, the Denver Nuggets on Wednesday offered few clues as to whom they might select in the draft Tuesday. The Nuggets have the 20th, 22nd and 52nd picks.

It is no secret shooting guard is the biggest question mark on the roster, but that does not necessarily mean Denver will choose one.

"Everybody knows we don't have a 30-minute-a-night (shooting) guard," coach George Karl said during the team's media luncheon. "But I still am for taking the best guy available. I had fun with our (shooting) guard situation last (season), but maybe that's not the best way to go."

After starter Voshon Lenard was lost for most of the season after tearing his left Achilles' tendon in the opener, the Nuggets used a rotation that included DerMarr Johnson, Greg Buckner, Bryon Russell and, late in the season, Wesley Person. Given the experiment's relative success, Karl said he would not be loathe to do it again.

Of the shooting guards available, SI.com ranks Seattle high school player Martell Webster and Antoine Wright of Texas A&M as the top two. The Web site predicts the Nuggets will choose Spaniard shooting guard Rudy Fernandez with the No. 20 pick.

There also is a strong possibility the Nuggets could package their first two picks for a higher choice, a move that also would create salary-cap space.

"I don't know if you can have odds (on if the Nuggets will trade draft choices)," general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said. "You can have a game plan, but it's always going to change." </div>

Source