Anchorman and Scalabrine

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by Wink23, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Wink23

Wink23 JBB JustBBall Member

Heres a link, some of these are pretty funny.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/050804

10. "Ahhhhhhhhh, God! I did NOT see that coming!"

Remember the scene when Luke Wilson gets his arm chopped off during the anchorman gang fight? That goes to my beloved Celtics signing Brian Scalabrine for ... (gulp) ... (big gulp) ... $15 million over the next five years.
    OK ...
    I like him as a 10th man. I like the concept of "Let's boost the team chemistry of a team that acted like a '70s rock band last season by signing someone that everyone agrees is one of the best guys in the league." But FIFTEEN MILLION DOLLARS FOR BRIAN SCALABRINE????????????????? They could have signed former Suns blogger Paul Shirley for one-sixth the price and quintupled the Celtics.com traffic. Is there a difference between Luke Walton, Scott Padgett, Scalabrine, Ryan Bowen and 20 other guys? This is like finding out that a buddy paid $150,000 for an engagement ring to someone he met just three weeks ago. What can you even say?

2. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Yeah, Bill Simmons is my favorite sports writer but some of his opinions are pretty wacked out. On this, I think he makes a decent point but I think the difference between Veal and the rest of those guys is his braintype, which we all know Ainge loves, and the fact that he had some pretty huge games for the Nets last year. I also don't think their deals would be that far off if they were to ever sign a 5 year deal. In NBA terms, 15 over 5 is nothing.

3. Squishface

Squishface JBB Ministering Fools

I'm getting kind of tired of that guy. I was a huge fan back when he was Boston Sports Guy on AOL's Digital City Boston, but I've found that he's really just the kind of sensationalist writer that creates buzz by contradicting everything anyone does. Not my favorite kind of sports journalist. But I look back at that sentence and realize...that's what they all do.

As we all know, I have the utmost faith in Danny...because...drum roll please...

In Danny I Trust!

4. HASAN33

HASAN33 JBB JustBBall Member

Bill Simmons is one of the best writers out there. This article was too d-mn funny. I know every quote he used from that movie and I agreed with almost every point he made with them. Ignignot, most great writers go against the grain and buck popular public opinion. Sh-t no one saw the Scalarbrine's offer coming and then when we made it, I said what the h-ll are we thinking giving this cat a five year contract. Then brian has the nerve to say he was the leader of the Nets. Man, that quote was just as funny as the signing. I understand what you are saying, Ignignot, but you have to give it to the guy, these two articles were funny as h-ll. Ironically though, the NBA public would probably agree with these columns.

5. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Veal didn't exactly say he was the leader of the Nets. Here's his exact words:
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">''In New Jersey, you'd be surprised but I sort of took a team leadership role with the Nets, as far as setting the tempo in practice," said Scalabrine. ''I'm one of those rare NBA players that loves practice. I just love to hoop. I love basketball. I figure it probably will be the same way [in Boston], challenging [teammates]." </div>I think there's quite a difference between what he said and what you've made it out to be.

6. HASAN33

HASAN33 JBB JustBBall Member

I knew exactly what he said. I saw the press conference. I was joking just like the article. Relax.

7. Squishface

Squishface JBB Ministering Fools

Nobody likes a good laugh more than I do - except my wife, and Captain Johnson, and - come to think of it, most everyone likes a good laugh more than I do, but that's beside the point...