Ray Young

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by CohanHater, Aug 23, 2005.

1. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Former UCLA Bruin Ray Young on Monday told InsideHoops.com editor Jeff Lenchiner that he'll be in training camp with the Golden State Warriors, and is confident he'll be signed to a regular season contract. Young, a shooting guard, played for the Warriors summer league team. He's also friends with Baron Davis."

Hmm... Wonder if he's just the 14th guy, or will someone be moved?

2. Montay

Montay JBB JustBBall Member

That is a good question CH. I've seen Ray Young play since his high school days at St Joe's in Alameda (Jason Kid's HS). Ray and Baron were at UCLA. Ray's game looked stonger in the summer league this year. I really think D Fish will be gone by the Feb trading deadline. Ray has incredible athleticism but has struggled with his shot.

bring on the season!

3. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Montay:</div><div class="quote_post">

bring on the season!</div>
    Man I hear you there! I don't think I have ever been more excited about an upcoming season.

4. Montay

Montay JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">Man I hear you there! I don't think I have ever been more excited about an upcoming season.</div>

This offseason is killing me. I haven't been this wound up since... well I don't remember ever being this excited about the start of the regular season.

Bring it on!!

5. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I don't really remember anything spectacular about Ray Young in SL. He had a few moments where he hit some back to back shots in rhythm and then he went cold. He took it inside a few times I believe, but he mostly played like an outside jump shooter. I thought Melkovic was more impressive in shooting and ballhandling and passing even though his defense leaves something to be desired. One thing about Ray Young though, the guy looks totally yolked. Could be a nice defender even though undersized for the two guard. Let's hope Young's presence doesn't mean something's going to happen to Pietrus.

6. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't really remember anything spectacular about Ray Young in SL. He had a few moments where he hit some back to back shots in rhythm and then he went cold. He took it inside a few times I believe, but he mostly played like an outside jump shooter. I thought Melkovic was more impressive in shooting and ballhandling and passing even though his defense leaves something to be desired. One thing about Ray Young though, the guy looks totally yolked. Could be a nice defender even though undersized for the two guard. Let's hope Young's presence doesn't mean something's going to happen to Pietrus.</div>

I thought Young was better than Melkovic in almost every aspect of the game. Both seemed pretty streaky but Young as you said is more atlhetic and made some nice hustle plays. He is also a significantly better defender than Melkovich. I think i may have called this move back when I posted impressions of oe of the SL games...

7. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

I got the chance to watch Young throughout his UCLA days, and to honest, he's an awful player. He's a pretty good defender, but his shot is suspect, he handles aren't good, and his shot selection is horrendous.

I highly doubt he'll make the Warriors regular season roster

8. fansince75

fansince75 JBB JustBBall Member

Man, you know this is one hurting off-season when this Ray Young gets his own thread!

I could see him making the team, though. This year, teams have to have 14 players on the roster, and the Ws have 13 players under contract.

They also have no playing time for any more players, so if Ray is buddies with Baron, keeps him happy, and plays for the minimum...you have to find someone to ride the pine.

9. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

I sure hope Jawad Williams gets picked up...

10. Custodianrules2

Jawad won't be signed by the Warriors at least because he could be a threat to Dunleavy's position. Ask Chris Mullin.

I think Wad's going to the Sixers possibly (Hoopshype rumors section a while back). It's for the better, the Sixers need some size at the 3. John Salmons, Kyle Korver are all 6'7. They probably won't opt to play Mashburn even if he is healthy I bet. Then again I don't know much about what's going to happen in Sixer land or if Philly was the team that was showing interest in the former Tarheel.

11. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Jawad won't be signed by the Warriors at least because he could be a threat to Dunleavy's position. Ask Chris Mullin.

I think Wad's going to the Sixers possibly (Hoopshype rumors section a while back). It's for the better, the Sixers need some size at the 3. John Salmons, Kyle Korver are all 6'7. They probably won't opt to play Mashburn even if he is healthy I bet. Then again I don't know much about what's going to happen in Sixer land or if Philly was the team that was showing interest in the former Tarheel.</div>

He should give Charlotte a call. I heard they like to draft NC players... [​IMG]

12. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">He should give Charlotte a call. I heard they like to draft NC players... [​IMG]</div>
    Oh yeah, huh? See you later Gerald Wallace. [​IMG]

That actually might happen, WFS93. Too bad these guys can't be duped out of Emeka Okafor for Dunleavy lol. Uconn for a Duke grad.

13. Custodianrules2

I wonder if Baron might have vouched for Ray Young. They used to be teammates in college, correct? Ray Young was also in the New Orleans Hornets training camp (in '04), which was also Baron's team at the time. He posted a DNP and was waived.

http://nbadraft.net/2004nbdl.asp