Wooden withdraws support for Wooden Award...

Discussion in 'Men's College Basketball' started by Courtking, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The John R. Wooden Award reportedly won't be given out by Wooden anymore.

The Los Angeles Times reported in Saturday's editions that the legendary coach is withdrawing his support for the award.

"I have decided to end my association with the Los Angeles Athletic Club and its presentation of the Wooden Award, which has been given annually since my retirement from coaching to college basketball's player of the year," Wooden said in a statement released to The Times.

"While I have great respect for [award chairman] Duke Llewellyn and am deeply appreciative of all his efforts and those of the club to promote the award over the years, I must withdraw my support for this award and will no longer have any personal involvement with it because of disagreements with the club over the use of my name," the statement said.
    </div>

Link

No more John Wooden award as Wooden withdrew his support for Wooden Award. I don't know, it's been an honor to get the award in the prior years why would John Wooden decide not to give it out anymore.

2. HASAN33

HASAN33 JBB JustBBall Member

It said in the article that a dispute between the Los Angeles Athletic Club and Wooden arose when Wooden lent his name to an unrelated award. The Los Angeles Athletic Club believes that this act will lessen the prestigeousness of the Wooden award. My question to the Los Angeles Athletic Club is, "Who cares?!"

3. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

They should change it to the Izzo Award, or the Cleaves Award.

But seriously, does it really matter what the Player of the Year award is called? It's just going to be given to some Dookie anyway.