Spurs sign Nick Van Excel, Finley out of Spurs picture?

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by bronbron23, Aug 30, 2005.

1. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

The San Antonio Spurs very recent signing of Nick "The Quick" Van Excel may mean that the Spurs may no longer chase the former Dallas Maverick Michael Finely. This eliminating one more team off Finley's list and bringing him closer to Phoenix.

Miami, Phoenix and Minnesota look like the main teams Finley will sign with now San Antonio and Denver look highly unlikely.
    I think Finley will join Phoenix as Minnesota's team with the addition of Finley doesn't look like the best title contenders (which is what type of team Finley wants to be on) and Miami will have to bench Finley or recent arrivals Antoine Walker or James Posey if Finley wants to sign with Miami which may cause problems.

Phoenix's main problem is that Miami can offer more money but if I were Finley that would be the last of my problems when considering how much money Dallas owes Finley.

I hope Finley will sign back to his former Suns team to rejoin Steve Nash and take up the starting job of shooting guard and look like a title contender please make the right choice Finley...

2. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

If you read the ESPN article It will prove no It doesn't put the Spurs out of the Finley picture.

NVE signed for the vet min. There is still 2.5 million left for Finley.

3. bronbron23

Yes, thanks for pointing that point out ALLNET. But I still think with a player of Nicks caliber added to Spurs does Finley really want to go there when he can get more minutes in Phoenix. Also in San Antonio I can't figure out where Finley would play? Maybe he could take Bruce Bowens starting spot or find himself in the SG/SF rotation.

SF-Bruce Bowen/Glenn Robinson(is he still there)/Michael Finley
    SG-Manu Ginobli/Brent Barry/Michael Finley

Van Excel also played SG in his last season at Portland for a brief period if my memory serves me correctly so maybe he could be put in to the PG/SG rotation.

I think that Phoenix is just such a better fit for him. ALLNET or somebody tell me where Finley fits in San Antonio's line up I'm baffled.(And can somebody tell me where Glenn Robinson is going I heard he wanted to finish his career in Milwaukee maybe this could open up a space for Finley???)

4. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Finley would back-up Manu and or Bruce. He certainly won't start. You don't mess with a championship starting 5 and not for a guy who is in his early 30's. Although Finley could still get 25-29 minutes per game at the Spurs. Due to the fact he can play both the 2 and the 3.

I have said all along that Phoenix is the best place for him but the lack of money seems too big of a factor. Which is why Miami seems the likely place for him.

That doesn't matter to Spurs fans as really many like me would rather have Devin Brown. A much younger player who has alot of upside and a guy who should be part of the Spurs future. If Finley signs with S.A then Devin is gone and what I have been told he is expected to sign an offer sheet with Utah. Guess we have to wait and see.

Michael Finley taking as long as he has is messing up the lifes of many other FA's. Just wish he would make his mind up already. He's not some superstar where he has to take forever to decide. Like Kobe for example.

5. bronbron23

I agree with you his time wasting is annoying hopefully he will decide by tomorrow. I just hope he signs with Phoenix one more thing ALLNET or anyone else where is Glen Robinson?

6. No More Wannstedt

No More Wannstedt nfl-*****s member

Glenn Robinson is a Free Agent and will not be re-joining the Spurs. We only have so much money left and it is going to either Finley or Devin Brown. I guess he could then sign for the Vet minimum (1.1 mill), but I heard he wants to go to Milwaukee too. He won't see the court if he does sign, the only reason we added him last year was because of the injury to Devin Brown. I'm 99% sure he is gone as they had no intentions of bringing him back.