Judge orders Webber to pay $100,000

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by Apollo, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">DETROIT -- Philadelphia 76ers player and former Michigan star Chris Webber was ordered to pay a $100,000 fine Wednesday, nearly two years after he pleaded guilty to a federal criminal contempt charge in the University of Michigan booster scandal.

U.S. District Judge Nancy Edmunds fined Webber the maximum allowed after she ruled that Webber's conviction should be treated as a misdemeanor rather than a felony, the U.S. Attorney's office said.
    </div>
    <div align="center">Link</div>Can somebody explain to me what Webber exactly did?

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

He took money from a booster when he played for Michigan and lied in court about doing it. Then he was fingered out by the booster, Ed Martin, after Martin was arrested. Ed Martin had evidence CWebb took money from him and Webber pleaded guilty.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">In his plea, Webber admitted lying to the grand jury on Aug. 2, 2000, in saying he did not recall giving money to Martin. Webber acknowledged in the plea that in 1994 he gave Martin about $38,000 in cash as partial repayment for expenditures Martin made on his behalf. </div>

3. Char

Char JBB Nowitzness

I hope this is a lesson to High School prospects going to D1 schools. Wait till you get to the NBA or finish playing NCAA basketball.

4. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Char:</div><div class="quote_post">I hope this is a lesson to High School prospects going to D1 schools. Wait till you get to the NBA or finish playing NCAA basketball.</div>
    Well the worst part of this ordeal, was the current Michigan players paid the price of not being eligible for tournament play. I think the school was suspended two seasons from participating in the March Madness or NIT tournament thanks to Webber.

5. Char

Char JBB Nowitzness

The NCAA has to be one of the most unfair sporting assoications ever.

6. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

^ yeah, i think the punishment was way too hard. i mean, 2 seasons? geeeez!

7. iversonfan3

iversonfan3 JBB JustBBall Member

Lol....I bet Webber was like....pshhh....100,000 dollars? what do they think I am....lol

8. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

Webber can afford it but that's be side the point.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The NCAA has to be one of the most unfair sporting assoications ever.
    </div>

How so? This now strikes fear into colleges eyes when attempting to do this again. If the NCAA didn't take action with this case then other schools may think it's okay to give players money which isn't what college basketball is about.

9. Char

Char JBB Nowitzness

The NCAA is dishing out punishment for something that did not happen recently. I think they should've got a lot more than $100,000 from Webber. They could've had Webber set up or do some community service for em', or some sort of scholarship fund. But you are right, U of Michigan is at fault too.

10. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Char:</div><div class="quote_post">The NCAA is dishing out punishment for something that did not happen recently. I think they should've got a lot more than $100,000 from Webber. They could've had Webber set up or do some community service for em', or some sort of scholarship fund. But you are right, U of Michigan is at fault too.</div>

Actually Webber did do community service, read the article:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The judge also noted Webber's completion of 330 hours of community service and out-of-pocket expenses of more than $78,000.
    </div>

The NCAA's punishment could have been worse. One can take this as a form of cheating and if baseball players should be left out of the hall of fame for cheating. Then the NCAA could have came a lot stronger with their punishment for this issue. The fact that it happened so long ago is probably why they didn't.

11. Dizzyfool

Dizzyfool JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Then he was fingered out by the booster.</div>
    [​IMG] Best spelling mistake ever!

Anyway, this is surprising that I hadn't heard about this, he's lucky not to get severely punished for being found out of lying in court.

12. Miami Flash City

Miami Flash City JBB All Day

This is interesting, I have never heard about this before. But if Webber lied in court and took money he deserves whatever he gets.