Chandler Demoted to Reserve

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by Shapecity, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">WASHINGTON -- Could it be the Bulls are in a limbo contest? You know: How low can you go?

The Bulls, playing small lineups much of the season, set the bar particularly low to start Saturday's game against the Wizards with center Tyson Chandler on the bench for the first time this season and Michael Sweetney opening at center. Luol Deng got his first start of the season at forward.
    "No," Chandler said when he was asked if he accepted the change. "Obviously, I want to be starting. But I have to make the best of the situation. I'm not the type of player who is going to go out there and pout. I'm not playing well at all. So it's not like I can sit here and moan about the change. Game after game I've felt like there's going to be a game where I break out and continue to play well."

Chandler, who has been bothered by shortness of breath in what has been diagnosed preliminarily as a hernia-type condition, came in averaging career lows in almost every category, including 5.1 points per game and less than one block per game. In 19 minutes of play Saturday, Chandler had four points on 2-for-2 shooting and five rebounds.

Coach Scott Skiles, aware of Chandler's importance to the team as its only 7-footer, said he is just trying to find a way to get more from Chandler. Last season, Chandler excelled after being pulled from the starting lineup after nine games.

"He hasn't felt well, he hasn't played well of late (nine total points and 17 rebounds in the last four games). I want to try to get him comfortable again," Skiles said. "I want to see if he can do more off the bench and play like his normal self. I imagine initially he'll be upset, but I'm trying to find a way to energize him and get him going."

Chandler seems exasperated and concerned.

"I'm just not feeling like myself now," said Chandler, who has more medical tests scheduled for Monday to examine his condition. "You know when something is wrong with you. I know there's something wrong with me, and obviously it's having an effect. I can go really hard for a couple of tries and then I'm just out. At this point in the season, this never has happened in my life. I don't know what it is."</div>

Source

2. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

This was to be expected with Tyson Chandler’s poor play, largely due to the hernia. However, from the precedent that Skiles has set in the past shows nothing to suggest this will be a permanent change. Tyson Chandler was benched early last season as well, and his play improved. The huge difference though is obviously 60 million dollars. I don’t think it really makes a difference he has been playing 25 minutes a game for about two weeks now, which is typically the amount of time a sixth man plays.

I am happy to see this happen, it was hinted at that earlier in the season by an article in the Chicago Tribune in which Paxson stated Nocioni was really a power forward. Luol Deng has done what was asked of him that is why he is back in the starting lineup over the last week and a half he is averaging 18 points a game, and leading the Bulls in scoring. Last season Skiles used several different lineups, and never really settled with one lineup so far this year he has used four different starting lineups.

I don’t think this is so much a problem with the team, but more so writing material for the Chicago media. They change their opinion quicker than the weather. Expect several articles to arise in the next several weeks about how the Bulls made a mistake resigning Tyson Chandler for as much money as they did. Some might point out that this small lineup will hurt us on the boards, but if you really look at it we where not rebounding anyway so what do we have to lose. Good move by Scott Skiles on this lineup change.