Willie Green

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by Midnight Green, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Earlier in the season there where whispers that Willie Green would be able to return to the team some time around all star break, and not at the end of the season as originally anticipated. Though there have been no updates on how his rehabilitation has been going or his plans on returning, considering he returns to the team this season what do you see his role being?

To me there are two options the first one being placing him in the starting lineup, moving Iguodala up to the small forward spot, and bringing Korver off the bench as the sixth man. Though this lineup would make us undersized in the back court, and make our team liable on defense, considering our current lineup is not playing any defense any how is it really that much of a loss? If anyone remembers the season before Jim O’Brien was hired and completely stunted Green’s growth, Willie had been the lone bright spot in a terrible season in which some even rumored AI would leave. He had several 20 point outings and his play helped keep the 76ers in playoff contention unit the final week of that season.

Option two would be bringing Green off the bench in a role where he would still play a lot of minutes, but would also take some playing time away from John Salmons considering they would both be fighting for minutes at the same position. I would prefer to see the first scenario take place, but am not opposed to the second scenario either, considering Salmons is a free agent after this season chances are he will be looking to leave any how.

Anyway, what is your opinion on Willie Green and his role on the team when he returns?

2. Diesel

Diesel BBW Member

Willie Green id pretty much a poor mans Allen Iverson. Willie Green is a very underrated player in the NBA today, but the problem is that him and Iverson have a tough time playing together on the court. If I recall every time Iverson was out Green had a good game. Everytime Iverson played on the floor the same time as Green we were very vulnerable on defense and we already are as vulnerable as it gets on defense.

I say bring him off the bench. He wil give us some scoring off our weak bench which is the worst bench in the league in terms of scoring points.

He is a great back-up for Iverson thoguh. If Mo can get these guys to co-exist like he has with Webber and Iverson, watch out for the Sixers.

3. PhillysAnswer

PhillysAnswer JBB JustBBall Member

I would love to see senario one bc i have always thought that Korver would benefit this team more if he came off the bench, but when Green does come back I think you have to at least start with option two. this would be a pretty big injury hes coming back from so you never know what hes going to be like coming back, so i would say start with option two and if he looks good and can handle a starter role you go for it

4. jbbBigMo763

jbbBigMo763 JBB JustBBall Member

Our best bet would be to keep the starting line-up as is, and bring Willie off the bench to either spell AI or add more depth to the SG spot.

5. Avery

Avery JBB IDIOT!! GOSH!!!

Funny thing is that there was an update on him today saying that he should be cleared to play basketball again in mid Feb.

As for his role on this team. I'm not too sure, but what I do know is that he will have a big impact. According to some Philly articles Green is always rooting the team on in the locker room and when avaliable on the bench as well. So when he gets on the court and just seeing a new face will be refereshing. Like a breath of fresh air. He brings energy and is a fan favorite in Philly. So as far as role goes, I'm not too certain on that because I would have to see how the Salmons in the starting five experiment goes, but impact wise which is most important I think he will have a considerable amount of it.

6. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

I think Green's role should be to come off that bench, as a spark plug. The 76ers don't really have much firepower off the bench, and hopefully he can change that some.

But I don't think he should be starting. Hiim and Allen Iverson would be to small of a back court.

7. jbbBigMo763

jbbBigMo763 JBB JustBBall Member

Green and AI cannot function together in the back court, in my opinion. I think we'll see Green back up AI, since Cheeks has said he wants to cut down AI's minutes, and next to Ollie. However we'll probably see an AI-Green backcourt for a couple of minutes a night.

8. Avery

Avery JBB IDIOT!! GOSH!!!

^ True. I remeber them being on the court at the same time and they never really worked well together. It's best that you let Green control the game with AI is on the bench. Green is similar to Iverson because he needs to control the ball in order to be at his best and with AI on the court he wouldn't be able to get into his own.

9. wc76er

wc76er JBB JustBBall Member

Wg

Yeah, I agree. He should come off the bench. Our bench is rail thin at the guard spot.
    Since there's no report on WG coming back, I think his injury is pretty bad.

10. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting wc76er:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, I agree. He should come off the bench. Our bench is rail thin at the guard spot.
    Since there's no report on WG coming back, I think his injury is pretty bad.</div>
    I posted an update yesterday. He will return in February unless there is a set back.

11. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

I don't know how Willie Green will turn out in terms of minutes, but I remember last season when AI missed games, Green stepped up with very good games. I mean he wouldn't have huge nights, but I'm talking about 15-20 points a game.