LeBron.. Where'd his love for passing go?

Discussion in 'Cleveland Cavaliers' started by swyftdahoe, Feb 22, 2006.

1. swyftdahoe

swyftdahoe JBB JustBBall Member

I'm not trying to hate or anything here 'cuz LeBron's still by far one of the most exciting players to watch in the league but has anyone else (but me) noticed that his passing game ain't like it used to be.. By that I mean in his first year and a half.. I understand that his assists have remained the same or even a bit higher but it seems as though he ain't looking for teammates as much as he did before (to the point of utter unselfishness).. It seems to me that he's become more of a dominant scorer-type instead of a Magic-type do-it-all player..

Just discuss..

2. Brasco

Brasco JBB JustBBall Member

I've caught alot of cavs games this year, and i dont really agree. he'll probably end the season with close to seven dimes a game. as for finding his teamtes his offensive game has improved so much he's now inclined to score more than before. It happens to all players when they get better scoring moves. If magic had the offensive moves of lebron i dont think he would have been the same player.

3. giftedvisionz

giftedvisionz JBB JustBBall Member

Despite what people say, Magic was not a true pass-first player. He didn't set up players the way Stockton, Payton, or Kidd could. The reason for Lebron dominating is that he knows he's the best scoring option on his team. As a result, he's forced to score, because no one else on the team can break down the defense like he can. He won't handle the ball as much when Hughes comes back though.

4. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting giftedvisionz:</div><div class="quote_post">Despite what people say, Magic was not a true pass-first player. He didn't set up players the way Stockton, Payton, or Kidd could. The reason for Lebron dominating is that he knows he's the best scoring option on his team. As a result, he's forced to score, because no one else on the team can break down the defense like he can. He won't handle the ball as much when Hughes comes back though.</div>

Are you saying that Gary Payton was a better passer than Magic Johnson?

You need to clarify that.

5. iliv4ball

iliv4ball JBB JustBBall Member

Margic Johnson was a way better passer than payton ever will be.

6. swyftdahoe

swyftdahoe JBB JustBBall Member

No doubt about what you guys all said (other than Payton being a better passer than Magic).. I do understand that LeBron's offensive game has blossomed quite a lot this year.. And undoubtedly, he's the team's best scoring option.. What I'm not seeing from LeBron as much are those passes that just make you shake your head as you're in awe of his often mentioned court vision.. It doesn't appear as though he's going out of his way to pass to his teammates..

All I'm really saying is that as much as I've enjoyed LeBron being dominant as a scorer this year, I'm still hoping that his passing game will improve even more.. I'll give up the fact that I do think he'll pass more freely if he had teammates who made the shots that they were signed to make more often.. 'Cuz if we're hoping that LeBron will eventually average a triple-double in a single season, there's obviously room for him to grow as a passer.. That's all..