New Temple Coach, Rick Brunson?

Discussion in 'Men's College Basketball' started by Shapecity, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Rick Brunson never wanted to say it publicly, not as long as John Chaney was still the Temple basketball basketball coach.

But in a rambling, emotional, signature news conference, Chaney retired Monday, and Brunson - in his ninth NBA season, - knew he could finally express himself.

He wants to coach. He wants to coach Temple. He has no idea about his chances. All he knows is what he wants to do.

"No question, it's not a secret," said Brunson, who completed four seasons as the Owls' point guard in 1994-95. "With all due respect to coach Chaney, I never wanted to say anything while he was still there."

Earlier, in an e-mail response, Brunson wrote of Chaney's retirement: "It's a sad day for college basketball. I'm happy for him that he went out on his own. He's been a father to me my whole career. He had a smaller impact on my career [as a player] than he did in helping make me a man, and I think that speaks volumes about the man he is. I'll cherish my time I had with him forever."

In a telephone conversation from Houston, where he plays for the Rockets, Brunson, 33, said: "I don't believe in campaigning for a job. I want to coach there, that's all. The right people know. If they feel I'm the right person, they'll call. In my career, I've been told 'No' enough times that I think I can handle that, too."

Brunson began a long and winding pro career in Australia in 1995-96, after being the final guard cut by the 76ers. Before Houston, he played for Portland, New York, Boston, Chicago, Toronto, the Los Angeles Clippers and Seattle.

"My career has never been normal," he said. "I've had eight non-guaranteed contracts and one guaranteed, this year with Seattle.

"I know people say, 'He's never coached, he's never recruited.' They're all right. But I have always wanted to be a coach. People don't know this about me: I go to clinics, I study. In my 9 years in the league, I sat there, studied, learned. I always talked to the coaches about basketball, about philosophies. I can relate to kids. What I'm not good at, I can have a good staff around me.

"But this is a first experience for me. Before I do anything, I'll talk to [Chaney]. Some people want to be writers or be in TV, and they study for it, prepare for it. I want to be a coach. I've always studied."</div>

Source

2. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

Isn't he still actively playing in the NBA? [​IMG]

3. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Schaddy:</div><div class="quote_post">Isn't he still actively playing in the NBA? [​IMG]</div>

He was recently waived by the Sonics.

4. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

Weird I was thinking the same thing but I guess it makes sense. He's been in Philly before, so why not?