Brown, Bryant Lead Lakers Over Hornets

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Lakers' started by Bahir, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Bahir

Bahir User power factor: ∞

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">LOS ANGELES, March 26 (Ticker) -- Los Angeles Lakers fans are used to giving standing ovations to Kobe Bryant and occasionally to Lamar Odom. Coming out of their seats for Kwame Brown is a new concept.

The Lakers continued to receive strong play from Bryant and Odom, but it was Brown's 17 points on flawless shooting that sparked a 105-94 victory over the plummeting New Orleans Hornets.

The league's leading scorer at 34.8 points per game, Bryant continued his MVP-caliber season with 30 points on 10-of-19 shooting. Odom, his main sidekick, also maintained his strong play of late with 23 points, eight rebounds and five assists.

However, it was the play of Brown - who has had his ups and downs since entering the league as the top overall pick in 2001 - that fueled the Lakers' fourth straight win and gave the team's playoff hopes a major boost.

Brown made all seven of his shots, adding six rebounds and two blocks without a turnover in 38 impressive minutes before leaving to a warm ovation with 4:48 remaining. Still only 23 years old, Brown is averaging 16.3 points and 9.0 rebounds during the winning streak.

The hot stretch has put Los Angeles (38-34) - which missed the playoffs last season for the first time in 11 years - two games ahead of Sacramento (35-35) seventh place in the Western Conference.

Meanwhile, the Hornets (32-36) fell two games behind the Kings for eighth place. They have lost 11 of their last 12 games and appear to be a long shot for the postseason.

One bright spot for the Hornets continues to be the play of third-year forward David West, who collected 23 points and 10 rebounds.

Brian Cook scored 12 points and Smush Parker handed out eight assists for the Lakers, who shot over 50 percent (33-of-65) and had 24 assists against just nine turnovers.
    </div>

Recap
    Box score

Ooooweee! I like the way Kwame is playing lately? Injured? Hells no.

2. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

Mor elike.."Injured..he doesnt care"...Kwame is impressing the heck out of me...all season my basketball coach has told us that the potential is there...he just needs to tap it...Kwame is playing great and Lamar is too...Kobe is Kobe....can't be happier...

(btw go Bruins!)

3. ilive4ball

ilive4ball JBB JustBBall Member

K before I comment on the Lakers I'm shocked by what is happening in March Madness... GMason over UCONN????

Anyhow...yeah, I don't know WHAT THE H*LL has gotten into Kwame!!!

Like...for 5 years he is an underachiever, has the occasional big game, then goes back to normal 7 and 7.

The fact that he has strung 4 great games in a row in amazing, considering that he is injured.

Usually, when he's healthy he fumbles the ball and throw's it off the glass about a foot off...suddenly he goes 7 for 7???

God life is great lol. Oh, and the fact that Lamar goes for 23??? Kobe doesn't even have to exert himself for 30 points and the Lakers win... [​IMG]

If Kwame and Lamar keep it up like this, look for a revitalized and VERY dangerous Kobe for the playoffs...

4. amador08

amador08 JBB JustBBall Member

Credit to Phil Jackson?!?

5. bbwtrench

bbwtrench BBW Member

Go Lakers!

6. Laker_fan

Laker_fan JBB JustBBall Member

Kwame shows up again, I'm pleasantly suprised but I still expect him to go into a funk soon. 10/10 will be fine. Even though Odom shot badly, he still got to the line 11 times and scored 10. A huge win by the Lakers, not only do we get closer to the playoffs, but our competition also takes a step back away from the playoffs. The Kings lost to the Warriors aswell! Great day and I think it's the first time in two seasons we've won four in a row!

7. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I really liked how Odom played last night. He's been on fire since the ASG, but last night he played his best game IMO. Odom took over in the 3rd quarter and was attacking the basket like a mad man. If he can put that type of pressure on the defense and get to the line 11 times, the Lakers will be in great shape.

Kwame Brown is finally cashing in on offense by not fumbling the basketball. I'd still like to see him have a bigger impact on rebounds though, he went 19 minutes before grabbing his 1st rebound last night. He also needs to start making his damn free throws!

Sasha had another lousy game. He picked up stupid ass fouls and was gun shy on offense. Jim Jackson needs some minutes out there, we're going to need him come playoff time.

8. The Prophecy

The Prophecy JBB JustBBall Member

I'm happy to see that Kwame has stepped up his game recently and Kobe is starting to take smarter shots. I just saw the box score and Kwame shot 7 of 7 from the field! He shot only 3of8 from the free throw line though.

<font color=""Red"">-- Please use the edit button and not double post. Thanks Shapecity.</font>