Miller's No. 31 Going up to the Rafters

Discussion in 'Indiana Pacers' started by Shapecity, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Reggie Miller didn't spend 18 years with the Indiana Pacers to set records or earn accolades. They just came to him as he worked toward his ultimate goal -- to earn respect for the franchise that risked drafting him.

"When I came to Indiana, nobody knew what the Pacers were about," Miller said. "We were cellar dwellers for so long. I wanted people to think of us the way they thought about Chicago, Detroit, L.A."

Miller became the face of a franchise that had one winning season in the 11 years before he arrived, but just four losing seasons with him on the team. The Pacers will honor Miller by retiring his jersey at halftime of Thursday's game against the Phoenix Suns.

"To know that No. 31 will be hanging from the rafters ... it'll be a special night," said Miller, now a TNT basketball analyst.

He'll join former Pacer players Roger Brown, Mel Daniels, George McGinnis and former coach and current radio analyst Bobby "Slick" Leonard to receive the honor. All were with the Pacers during the late-1960s to mid-1970s, when the team won three American Basketball Association championships.

Miller ended his career last season as the NBA's all-time leader in 3-point goals. He was a five-time All-Star, led the NBA in free throw percentage five times and is No. 12 on the league's all-time scoring list.

The Pacers never won a championship during his career, but Miller gave the franchise credibility after its switch to the NBA in 1976.

"He's the most significant player in the last 20 years, maybe 30," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said. "Since our ABA days. Reggie is the one who made our transformation to the NBA real."

He's best known for "Miller Time." When the game was on the line, Miller always wanted to take the big shot.

"He's made as many clutch shots as anybody who has ever played this game," said team president Larry Bird.

Miller, a wire-thin 6-foot-7 shooter, wasn't sure he'd even play in the NBA.

Walsh, general manager when the Pacers drafted the former UCLA Bruin in 1987, knew Miller had something special. But even he didn't know he had drafted a player who would become one of the league's all-time greats.

"I knew he was a better player than just a shooter," Walsh said. "To know he'd do it on the NBA level, as well as he did ... nobody could have predicted that."

Indiana native Bird kept up with news in his home state while playing for Boston. He knew what people were saying about Walsh's decision to draft Miller instead of Steve Alford, who helped lead the Indiana Hoosiers to a national title.

"There were a lot of doubts," Bird said. "I had an opportunity to play against Reggie. After the first two or three times, there was no doubt they made the right decision."

A highlight reel for Miller would include Game One of the 1995 Eastern Conference semifinals against New York. The Pacers were down by six with 16.9 seconds left when Miller hit a three. He stole the inbounds pass and sank another 3-pointer to tie the game. After the Knicks missed two free-throws, Miller hit the winning free throws in a 107-105 win. </div>

Source

2. The Prophecy

The Prophecy JBB JustBBall Member

This is an excellent decision. Miller was one of the best Pacers player ever. He is clutch and can shoot from anywhere.

3. Fitch4Delk00

Fitch4Delk00 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting The Prophecy:</div><div class="quote_post">This is an excellent decision. Miller was one of the best Pacers player ever. He is clutch and can shoot from anywhere.</div>

one of the best, he was the best. [​IMG]

4. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Not unexpected, and it's a great decision by the Pacers to retire his number immediately. The people of Indiana love him, and having 31 in the rafters would give Reggie much more to remember about Indiana.

5. The Prophecy

The Prophecy JBB JustBBall Member

Which other Pacers' jersey are retired? I can't seem to think of another great Pacer player, but Granger is on his way!

6. C-A-15

C-A-15 JBB JustBBall Member

I was waiting for this to happen, I'm watching the game right now. Reggie Miller was one of my favourite basket-ball players. I'm so happy but sad at the same time.

7. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting The Prophecy:</div><div class="quote_post">Which other Pacers' jersey are retired? I can't seem to think of another great Pacer player, but Granger is on his way!</div>
    "He'll join former Pacer players Roger Brown, Mel Daniels, George McGinnis and former coach and current radio analyst Bobby "Slick" Leonard to receive the honor. All were with the Pacers during the late-1960s to mid-1970s, when the team won three American Basketball Association championships."

8. wangsta

wangsta JBB JustBBall Member

Yo did u guys watch the retirement show...
    Why does he lip kiss his siblings? and he always does the head noddding
    anyways he's good

9. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    "He'll join former Pacer players Roger Brown, Mel Daniels, George McGinnis and former coach and current radio analyst Bobby "Slick" Leonard to receive the honor. All were with the Pacers during the late-1960s to mid-1970s, when the team won three American Basketball Association championships."</div>
    Yeah but most of us haven't heard of those guys. Miller is really the only big Pacers player that catches anyones attention. Whenever you think of the Pacers, you usually associate them with Miller, not Roger Brown (WHO?!), Mel Daniels (WHO?!), or George McGinnis (WHO?!).

10. CrazyArtest

CrazyArtest JBB JustBBall Member

This is great what the Pacers did. He was my favorite player forever, great player...