Sammy and Larry Meet

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by Really Lost One, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The coach and the player met for 15 minutes after Sunday night's game. Only in this case, it was New York Knicks coach Larry Brown and 76ers center Samuel Dalembert.

And it was more than OK with Sixers president/general manager Billy King.

"He wasn't talking to me as a coach, just as the Sam he knew," Dalembert was saying after yesterday's optional practice at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. "He drafted me; we had a similar talk before the draft. He knows me as a person."

The Knicks coach seemingly already had more than enough on his plate in a season that has included 19 victories and 53 losses, but he met with Dalembert after the Sixers' 114-95 victory. King said this was similar to times King has visited with since-retired Indiana Pacers star Reggie Miller, a close friend, or with friends from Duke, such as the Orlando Magic's Grant Hill.

"[Brown] was just giving me some advice," said Dalembert, who is expected to start his third game in succession tonight against the Cleveland Cavaliers. "He was hearing what was going on here. He had some critiques and stuff like that, but overall it was like talking with my old coach, my first coach in the NBA. He was very helpful; we talked about some different stuff, but mainly it was about me."

Brown was the Sixers coach and vice-president of basketball operations in 2001, when Dalembert became their first-round pick from Seton Hall. Dalembert barely played as a rookie, then sat out his second season after knee surgery. Brown left the Sixers after the 2002-03 season, spent two seasons coaching the Detroit Pistons, then took over the Knicks this season.

"I love him, even though I never really got a chance to play for him," Dalembert said.

</div>

link: http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/14257717.htm

2. jbbBigMo763

jbbBigMo763 JBB JustBBall Member

This might be a little farfetched, but I think Larry misses the good old days when he was with the Sixers (minus the AI-Brown feuding). But then again it's easy to see why when you look at what's going on with him right now.

He's done this plenty of times with our players. He's had strong words for Iguodala, Louis Williams Dalembert and Shav.

I would love for him to come back and coach our team for one last hurrah, but that is very unlikely.