Tim Thomas

Discussion in 'Brooklyn Nets' started by hoopskidd5, Feb 13, 2006.

1. hoopskidd5

hoopskidd5 BBW Member

According to several local newspapers, the Nets are one of the teams with interest in Tim Thomas if he were bought out by Chicago. Thomas was on hand at the Nets game vs. San Antonio last friday and mentioned in an interview that the Spurs and Nets were two teams he would consider playing for. Apparently Chicago has no plans to release him prior to the trade deadline, however, I think he would be a solid, low-risk pick up for the Nets and I wouldnt mind us taking a chance at him if he were indeed bought out. Having said that, I would prefer not engaging in a trade for him as his trade value is rather low as of now and his contract would be tough to match for us and would likely entail us to include a member of the big three which is obviously entirely out of question.

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades BBW Member

Trust me it wouldn't work. Lawrence Frank will not a play a front court player if he doesn't play defense and rebound well and Tim Thomas does neither. He would get signed and then cut within days

3. hoopskidd5

hoopskidd5 BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ace_o_spades @ Feb 13 2006, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Trust me it wouldn't work. Lawrence Frank will not a play a front court player if he doesn't play defense and rebound well and Tim Thomas does neither. He would get signed and then cut within days</div>Thats fine, if he doesnt work out we can simply cut him..Its a low-risk, high potential reward scenario..He can either bomb out and be worth nothing to us, or being that he is in a contract year, he can play some good ball for us to close out the season and become a solid contributor for our team off the bench. I personally dont like him much because I think he is soft, but hey, what do we have to lose, might as well give him a shot, if hes motivated, he can be a solid player..

4. knicksfan3

knicksfan3 Nets Season Ticket Holder - Section 225

I'd say take the chance on Tim. You won't sign him for much and he is tall enough (6' 10") where he can play some PF for the Nets, which is their weak spot by far. I see this being a chance, but I think it's well worth it. Being on a very good team that is close to being a great team and also being back in his home state may make him motivated and he could play great for them.

5. jkidd51524

jkidd51524 BBW Elite Member

Yea there is no harm in taking him. We need a PF who can come in here and be strong and rebound. Hey, he is better then nothing.

6. hoopskidd5

hoopskidd5 BBW Member

I think another thing that could motivate him is the fact that Chicago didnt want him at all and hasnt given him an oppurtunity..Maybe this causes him to want to prove himself, and what better place to do so than with Kidd feeding you with outstanding passes for open looks. I think he has an oppurtunity to become a KVH type player for us and if he is motivated perhaps he can live up to some of that potential he has shown at spurts during his career. Like I said, I havent liked him much in the past and have thought of him as soft and lazy, but if you can get him cheap for the remainder of the year, why not give him a shot and see what he can give you, what do you have to lose?

7. jkidd51524

jkidd51524 BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hoopskidd5 @ Feb 13 2006, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think another thing that could motivate him is the fact that Chicago didnt want him at all and hasnt given him an oppurtunity..Maybe this causes him to want to prove himself, and what better place to do so than with Kidd feeding you with outstanding passes for open looks. I think he has an oppurtunity to become a KVH type player for us and if he is motivated perhaps he can live up to some of that potential he has shown at spurts during his career. Like I said, I havent liked him much in the past and have thought of him as soft and lazy, but if you can get him cheap for the remainder of the year, why not give him a shot and see what he can give you, what do you have to lose?</div>Well he cant shoot like KVH but I get what your saying. Like I said, better then nothing.

8. hoopskidd5

hoopskidd5 BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hoopskidd5 @ Feb 13 2006, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think another thing that could motivate him is the fact that Chicago didnt want him at all and hasnt given him an oppurtunity..Maybe this causes him to want to prove himself, and what better place to do so than with Kidd feeding you with outstanding passes for open looks. I think he has an oppurtunity to become a KVH type player for us and if he is motivated perhaps he can live up to some of that potential he has shown at spurts during his career. Like I said, I havent liked him much in the past and have thought of him as soft and lazy, but if you can get him cheap for the remainder of the year, why not give him a shot and see what he can give you, what do you have to lose?</div>Youd be surprised, Tim Thomas is a pretty good shooter from the perimiter to go along with his athleticism. Over his career he has averaged 37% from behind the line in comparison to KVH's 36% career clip..They are identical Field Goal percentage wise and both are 6'10 and lenghty..Thomas is more athletic, but KVH is a better rebounder..All in all, I think it is a pretty accurate comparison and I would love to have that type of production off the bench on this team..Well have to wait and see what happens with his situation in Chicago..

9. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

Tim Thomas doesn't care about basketball, he has never worked on his game, he's 6'10" and is scared to rebound, he's a non existant shotblocker, he got payed and that was it for him. He won't be motovated to play where ever he goes because, again, he doesn't care. Do you think not playing in Chicago will motovate Tim Thomas to play better? Come on. The guy doesn't care. He has not played minutes for a long time and he doesn't seem to care, he knows he's not going to get minutes. Tim Thomas will resurface somwhere and play hard and some team might be stupid enough to sign him, he only played hard for his contract, the guy was a disaster for the Bucks...

10. KirkSnyder4MVP

KirkSnyder4MVP BBW Member

Thomas is OK. WE should sign him for the min contract.

11. hoopskidd5

hoopskidd5 BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BCB @ Feb 16 2006, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Tim Thomas doesn't care about basketball, he has never worked on his game, he's 6'10" and is scared to rebound, he's a non existant shotblocker, he got payed and that was it for him. He won't be motovated to play where ever he goes because, again, he doesn't care. Do you think not playing in Chicago will motovate Tim Thomas to play better? Come on. The guy doesn't care. He has not played minutes for a long time and he doesn't seem to care, he knows he's not going to get minutes. Tim Thomas will resurface somwhere and play hard and some team might be stupid enough to sign him, he only played hard for his contract, the guy was a disaster for the Bucks...</div>You cant say that he hasnt ever worked on his game. He wouldnt be in the NBA if he hadnt worked to get here. Has he performed to his potential? No, he hasnt, and maybe if he worked harder he would be a better player, but if you are in the NBA and getting paid that much, you have to have had worked on your game, or you wouldnt be playing with the best players in the world. Im not saying not paying in Chicago will motivate him, but he would be playing for a contract in the offseason and things would be easier for him playing alongside Kidd where he can capitalize on his tremendous athletic ability.

12. hoopskidd5

hoopskidd5 BBW Member

Thomas is expected to have his contract bought out soon by Chicago, and following the trade where we saw Marc Jackson get shipped out and bring us under the cap, it should be intersting to see if we can reel in Thomas..

13. nba dogmatist

nba dogmatist BBW Member

I wouldn't want Tim Thomas on my team. he's a 6-10 jumpshooter that doesn't bother to hustle, rebound, or play any defense.

14. gocelts34

gocelts34 BBW Member

Loads of talent, no motivation.

15. nykfan4life

nykfan4life BBW Elite Member

after what happened in the playoffs with the knicks in 2004, i see this not happening. he got into a fight with jason "i'm a big waste of space" collins. he called him out so why would the nets want him. he's an underachieving player that has no heart and sucks at D. he should've stayed in villanova for at least 2 more years.

16. hoopskidd5

hoopskidd5 BBW Member

They have moved on from that incident and both Tim Thomas and the Nets would like to see this move happen. The Nets need it because they need help of the bench, scoring, and a big guy, all of which are provided in the form of Thomas. Thomas lives 10 minutes from the Nets arena and grew up in the region and wants to play in his home state. He attended a Nets game earlier this month in which he proclaimed mutual interest. New reports are conflicting, however, as one states that buy out clauses in the Bull's contract with Thomas will state that he must sign with a Western Conference team in accordance. Reports from ESPN, however, have said that Thomas is likely to sign with the Nets and will be bought out by Chicago in a matter of hours in order to be avaible for playoff rosters..

17. nykfan4life

nykfan4life BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hoopskidd5 @ Feb 28 2006, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>They have moved on from that incident and both Tim Thomas and the Nets would like to see this move happen. The Nets need it because they need help of the bench, scoring, and a big guy, all of which are provided in the form of Thomas. Thomas lives 10 minutes from the Nets arena and grew up in the region and wants to play in his home state. He attended a Nets game earlier this month in which he proclaimed mutual interest. New reports are conflicting, however, as one states that buy out clauses in the Bull's contract with Thomas will state that he must sign with a Western Conference team in accordance. Reports from ESPN, however, have said that Thomas is likely to sign with the Nets and will be bought out by Chicago in a matter of hours in order to be avaible for playoff rosters..</div>in that case sign him haha. brace yourself tho cuz he's gonna only give a mediocre performance as good as he is hyped to be. but maybe being in his hometown will be the best thing for him so we'll see what happens.

18. hoopskidd5

hoopskidd5 BBW Member

If he comes to NJ he will be getting paid approx. 300k, so we have nothing to lose here. Its a low-risk high potential gain situation for us. If it doesnt work out, cut him, its no big deal..If it does, it could help us out alot..

19. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

I do believe he is going West because Paxtons fears that he will hurt the Bulls in the playoffs.Note to Paxton, we can beat the Bulls without Thomas and our bench.

20. hoopskidd5

hoopskidd5 BBW Member

Paxon wants him to go West, in fact, rumors have it that as part of his buyout, Tim Thomas will have to select a Western Conference team, however, other reports state that he will chose the Nets even if he has to take less than the full buy out...Should be interesting to see how end up..Expect him to be bought out really soon, because the deadline is approaching to allow him to be on a playoff roster..