Q&A with Leon Powe

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by Shapecity, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Q&A with Leon Powe

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Dime: It?s not often that a second-round pick is offered guaranteed money. How did you pull that off?
    Powe: I just came in and worked hard. In the summer league they only gave me something like 13 minutes a game, and I just made the most of it. (Note: Powe averaged 6.6 points and 3.6 boards in a little over 15 minutes a game in Vegas.)

Dime: How are summer league games different than more ?organized? games?
    Powe: Everybody there is hungry. And if you ain?t hungry, your spot ? or what was gonna be your spot ? can get moved to the side, because those guys are going hard. They all want contracts and they?re all trying to get into the League. Some of the guys already have contracts, but everyone else is trying to get one.

Dime: Throughout the pre-draft process, how often did teams ask about your past injuries?
    Powe: That was the main thing everyone talked about. Even though I took my physical and everything came back good, everyone still asked me about it. But I played well in my workouts. I shot the ball well.

Dime: Did you watch the draft?
    Powe: Yeah, I watched it. It gave me a headache, but I watched it.

Dime: Were you worried that you wouldn?t get picked?
    Powe: Once it got out of the first round and I didn?t hear my name, then it was worrying time. I looked at the board and there was a long stretch of teams that were picking that I hadn?t worked out for. I didn?t even work out for Boston, actually. They said they were surprised I was still there. They had been trying to trade with some teams so they could get me, and they finally got Denver to do it.

Dime: Did you have any idea going into the draft where you would go?
    Powe: I had a couple of ideas. Some teams told me I was in their top two of three players.

Dime: Have people been treating you differently since the draft?
    Powe: Not really. Everyone has been real supportive.

Dime: Have you bought anything nice yet?
    Powe: I haven?t bought nothing yet. I?m trying to show these kids out here that it?s not all about money. I don?t get paid until next week, anyway.</div>

Source

2. Squishface

Squishface JBB Ministering Fools

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Source</div>

Sounds like a stand up kind of guy, I hope he can show us he has game to back it up.

3. bengcord3

bengcord3 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Squishface:</div><div class="quote_post">Sounds like a stand up kind of guy, I hope he can show us he has game to back it up.</div>
    Trust me Squishface, we're gonna be REAL happy with Powe. I'm a diehard Arizona Wildcats fan, and I watched Powe in a lot of Pac-10 games, and focused more on him when he played Arizona (and in both games this year he DOMINATED us). He is a hell of a rebounder, and will find a way to score...this could be an even better second-round pick than Gomes, so you gotta give props to Danny Ainge.

4. Squishface

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting bengcord3:</div><div class="quote_post">Trust me Squishface, we're gonna be REAL happy with Powe. I'm a diehard Arizona Wildcats fan, and I watched Powe in a lot of Pac-10 games, and focused more on him when he played Arizona (and in both games this year he DOMINATED us). He is a hell of a rebounder, and will find a way to score...this could be an even better second-round pick than Gomes, so you gotta give props to Danny Ainge.</div>

I always give Danny props. I started this before last season, when Thrilla and I insisted that...In Danny I Trust!...and I still do.

That said, Powe sounds like a fella who is just starving to show people how good he is. If he is even as effective defensively as Justin Reed was, we're probably looking at significant minutes somewhere for this young man.

5. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Squishface:</div><div class="quote_post">I always give Danny props. I started this before last season, when Thrilla and I insisted that...In Danny I Trust!...and I still do.

That said, Powe sounds like a fella who is just starving to show people how good he is. If he is even as effective defensively as Justin Reed was, we're probably looking at significant minutes somewhere for this young man.</div>

It's been the story of his life. Powe's been through so much adversity and has overcome it each time. Hopefully the Celtics find him the minutes for him to develop and produce.

6. Squishface

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">It's been the story of his life. Powe's been through so much adversity and has overcome it each time. Hopefully the Celtics find him the minutes for him to develop and produce.</div>

I think it'll be the Celtics trainers who get him minutes to develop and produce, it'll be when they haul Al Jefferson's lifeless corpse off to the boneyard.

7. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

I see Leon Powe as a Carlos Boozer type player, he's an exact clone if you ask me. He's got the muscle and power to be a PF, and has that behind the back dribble on the break [​IMG]

8. Flashback

Flashback JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Dime: Have you bought anything nice yet?
    Powe: I haven’t bought nothing yet. I’m trying to show these kids out here that it’s not all about money. I don’t get paid until next week, anyway.
    </div>

[​IMG] ha, I don't get paid 'til next week, that's good stuff.

9. Squishface

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Flashback:</div><div class="quote_post">[​IMG] ha, I don't get paid 'til next week, that's good stuff.</div>

Agreed, I got a good laugh out of that. The fact that he can clearly contradict himself like that in the same breath had me laughing.