Marion Withdraws

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by SP23, Jul 25, 2006.

1. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Marion Withdraws From Contention For US Japan Trip
    24th July, 2006 - 11:35 pm
    ESPN - Suns star Shawn Marion pulled out of contention for a spot on the 15-man roster that will be Japan-bound because of a left knee injury, ESPN's Andy Katz is reporting.

Players who don't make the trip aren't being cut from the overall national team program, which is a three-year commitment.

"The process [of picking the team] was great,'' Marion said. "Everybody feels a part of the family for all three years. If I'm not there, I'll still feel like I'm there cheering them on.''

"My knee has been bothering me a bit. I sat out the last two days of practice. I just came in here and got right into it. So, I'm going to check it out [Tuesday]. I'll make sure there's nothing wrong with it, rest it and take care of it.''

The 15 players who likely will return to Las Vegas on July 31 for exhibition games will be announced Tuesday morning at the Wynn Hotel.

Marion's departure trims the roster down to 17, leaving two more possible cuts -- likely Seattle point guard Luke Ridnour and former Gonzaga forward and Charlotte Bobcats first-round draft pick Adam Morrison.

That means the 15 players likely to travel to Asia are: Carmelo Anthony, Gilbert Arenas, Shane Battier, Chris Bosh, Bruce Bowen, Elton Brand, Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Antawn Jamison, Joe Johnson, Brad Miller, Chris Paul, Amare Stoudemire, Dwyane Wade and Kirk Hinrich.

The coaching staff will meet Tuesday morning before the news conference to make the final call.

Ridnour looks to lose out to Chicago's Hinrich, and Morrison is up against veteran options. [READ]</div>
    Source

Lots of players have dropped out, because they're getting married, family issues, and injuries.

2. samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick JBB JustBBall Member

This team is just not gonna work. Unless people get unselfish, but that wont happen cuz Lebron and Melo want to start. Not to mention Dwayne Wade is another problem cuz if we have to start all three that takes away our strong point gaurds in Hinrich and Arenas. That sucks about Marion cuz he would bring up the moral in the locker room with a team like this, plus he would be a great back-up 3 or 4.

3. Squishface

Squishface JBB Ministering Fools

This kind of stuff happens every year, and personally I'm glad to see Marion do it. I don't want this guy jeopardizing the balance of this team with a Team USA trip. Couldn't care less about that team, and I'm glad he's starting to think the same way. Get that knee healthy, and let's have another good year.

4. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    Paul.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting samoan-maverick:</div><div class="quote_post">This team is just not gonna work. Unless people get unselfish, but that wont happen cuz Lebron and Melo want to start. Not to mention Dwayne Wade is another problem cuz if we have to start all three that takes away our strong point gaurds in Hinrich and Arenas. That sucks about Marion cuz he would bring up the moral in the locker room with a team like this, plus he would be a great back-up 3 or 4.</div>

I'd say Chris Paul is our strong(est) point guard. Carmelo is popular but I say he becomes a backup because of James. He won't be a guard because there are others better suited, nor any of the other foward positions for the same reason.