Recruiting Watch: Five Star Miles Commits to UConn

Discussion in 'College Recruiting and Prospects' started by J_Ray, Jan 18, 2006.

1. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

Shape said we should get a thread up about potential recruits out there, or signees. So if you see any commitment that are important, or big named players, you can post it here. I guess I'll start off by putting down a big verbal commitment that happened this Monday!

Jamelle Horne out of San Diego gave a verbal commitment to Arizona this monday.

Here are some links to recruiting site, got more post them:
    Scout.com
    Team by Team commitments from Scout.com
    www.usbasketballspotlight.com
    Rival.com
    http://www.usbasketballspotlight.com/gpage6.html
    http://www.hoopscooponline.com/visitors/scoop-free.html

2. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

3. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

Not a big surprise that the local kid Durrell Summers picked MSU, who are really, after a slow start building for the the future. A potential Durrell Summers/Marquis Gray/Ramar Morgan/Drew Neitzal lineup in 2007 isn't too bad at all consider they would be a couple years away from losing three potential all-americans.

4. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting C.K.:</div><div class="quote_post">Not a big surprise that the local kid Durrell Summers picked MSU, who are really, after a slow start building for the the future. A potential Durrell Summers/Marquis Gray/Ramar Morgan/Drew Neitzal lineup in 2007 isn't too bad at all consider they would be a couple years away from losing three potential all-americans.</div>

Wow, MSU is really getting some talent, wonder what they'll get in 08 class.....

5. Fast Luck

Fast Luck JBB JustBBall Member

Well, Ohio State is good enough this year already. And everyone I assume knows about the class they have coming in next year, 2006 - Conley, Lighty, Cook, Hunter, Oden.

For 2007, we have Jon Diebler, a **** 6'5 shooting guard who scored 77 points the other day. I guess he's ranked #9 at his position but he'll just go up from there because last summer when guys were getting rated, he had mono.

We're also leading the pack on the 7'0 #20 player of 2007, Kosta Koufos, ****, and center Dallas Lauderdale, ****.

For 2008, we already have commits from two *****: Walter Offutt, another steal from Indiana, and BJ Mullens, a seven footer who made his commitment before ever playing a high school game.

So in summary, expect Ohio State to be a top 5 team for the next six years or so at least.

6. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

Miami is gettin Edwin Rios in 07 or 08 he is a great local talent. He'll replace Anthony Harris very well along with Dennis Clemente and incoming Dwayne Collins they should have a good core in a few years.

7. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

Wisconsin's incoming class next year, while not on par with Ohio State's, is nonetheless a very solid group, a consensus top 20 national class.

Trevon Hughes 6'1", 175 lb combo guard, New York native, good finisher with Kam Taylor type skills, but needs a better jump shot. Ranked top 50 nationally.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=193&p=8&c=1&nid=1136370

J.P Gavinski 6'10", 230 forward/center with solid offensive game, needs some polish, but is presumed to be a poor man's Paul Davis.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=193&p=8&c=1&nid=1137283

Jason Bohanon 6'3", 170 combo guard has good jumper and outside game, and is a playmaker, but will need to work to adjust to Bo's swing offense and must get stronger

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=193&p=8&c=1&nid=1137283

[​IMG]

8. J_Ray

Here's a big time recruit:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Davon Jefferson, a 6-foot-8 1/2 forward from California who left Patterson School (N.C.) about a month ago, committed to USC.
    ``I just wanted to stay home,? Jefferson said. ?I like the coaching staff and I know a bunch of the players on the team.?

``I like Coach (Tim) Floyd a lot,? he added. ?I was surprised at how well the team is doing this year because I never got to see him in the NBA. I think he?s a real good coach.?

Jefferson also considered Oklahoma State and Kansas. </div>

Scout.com (Membership required)

9. KICKSDADDY613

KICKSDADDY613 JBB JustBBall Member

^^^^^

Got some news on Devon Jefferson. Chances are he never shows up to USC. Last word on him (I'll find the article) he hasnt received the qualifying scores yet to get into college. He has a good chance to become the first college casualty of the new NBA rule of 1 year removed from graduation. Last reported he is scheduled to meet with IMG Academy in Bradenton, FL (where I almost went) and he will hone his skills there until the '07 Draft. Of course, if his scores change, that could change. But I'll keep my eye on this.

Oh, did I forget to mention FAB FIVE II (The Second Coming) as this years North Carolina quintet is being dubbed. With Wayne Ellington, Branden Wright, Tywon Lawson, Deon Thompson, and Williams Graves the Tarheels have 3 McDonalds All American's, 4 of the 5 are ranked in the Top 50 (Wright #2, Ellington #4, and Lawson #7) gives them 3 in the Top 10 and Graves, a Craig Smith clone, has been tabbed in the Top 75. If they play half as well together as Michigan did, and blend well with Hansborough, Terry, Frasor, Green and Ginyard, that is a 10 man deep roster that covers scoring, defense, shooting, rebounding, and anything else you do in basketball. Let's hope they stay (al least most of them) for more than just next season.

P.S. Forgot we had a late signee in Alex Stepheson (ranked #57) So, I guess UNC is birthing 6 recruits next year. Thank you Roy. We're about to make up big time for the Matt Dougherty disaster. I hope everyone had fun picking on the Tarheels from 2001-2003. Cuz it's about to reign Carolina Blue over the NCAA.

10. KICKSDADDY613

Kevin Love 6-9 270 PF Lake Oswego HS, Oregon is currently the #3 ranked player in the Class of '07 (behind OJ Mayo and Bill Walker) has cut his choices down to 2 schools. UCLA and UNC.

11. J_Ray

Lance Thomas is getting close to a decision......

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Lance Thomas and his family are back from his Duke visit. Here?s the latest from what took place over the weekend in Durham.

The atmosphere inside Cameron Indoor Stadium was electric last weekend and unsigned Lance Thomas was front and center. The 6-foot-8 power forward who was recently named to the McDonald?s All-American game, took in the game with his uncle.
    ?It was quite an experience,? Monty Montgomery said. ?It gave him the opportunity to see first hand everything that coach has always said. Once you get there and you experience it and see it for yourself you?re able to put it all together. You could feel the energy in the building ? the place was buzzing. There was enough power in there to fire up downtown Durham.?

For Thomas and Co., the trip to Durham had a purpose: see the team, project where he fits and get a feel for the program overall.

?This visit really made everything a whole lot clearer in terms of what he was being told and what he says. There was no uncertainty. Everything is answered.?

Everything except what the future will bring. Duke, Rutgers, Florida and Arizona are in the hunt. Louisville is keeping in touch as well.

With Thomas? senior season over ? all-star games not withstanding ? the time to reach a decision is nearing.

?He?s working out,? Montgomery said. ?The season ended a week ago and he?s working out for the all-star games. He?ll be prepared after the second all-star game to publicly announce his decision.

?He?s continuing to sort things out. He?s got a lot of pressure on him. At the end of the day, Lance has to do what?s best for him.? </div>

Scout.com (Membership required)

12. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

Edwin Rios is the best player in Florida....looking to Miami.

Josue Soto is the best senior in Florida...looking to Florida.

13. KICKSDADDY613

If Duke could pull off Lance Thomas, that would be HUGE for them.

14. J_Ray

I found this kid from the 2009 class but he's between 7-3 and 7-5, ya he's a 7'5" Frosh [​IMG] Here's a mini description I found

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Ring Ayeul 7-5 center OSNA, LI. 6/15/05 John P Miciotta: 'Obviously size is the best tool the young man from the Sudan has. At the high school level he has demonstrated an ability to block and change shots, as well as the hands to catch the ball and score on stick backs. The blessing of his size means he has lots of work to do improving his coordination and balance. If he keeps working hard he?ll develop into a fine prospect.' 11/9/04 Eric Jaklitsch: 'The other freshman is 7'5" (no that is not a misprint!) Ring Ayeul by the way of the Sudan. Ayeul is a little bit raw on the offensive end however he has a Kevin Garnett like frame, is a superior defender, and can run the floor like a gazelle.'</div>

[​IMG]

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2253760

15. ItsShowtyme24

ItsShowtyme24 JBB JustBBall Member

My G Tech team is getting Javaris Crittenton,#1 PG in the country and ranked 7th i think in the country and Thad Young,#3 in the country and best SF in the country.Were gonna bounce back next year.....Javaris is gonna take up where Jarrett Jack left off

16. KICKSDADDY613

Javaris is great, however, he's not the #1 rated PG in the class of '06. That honor belongs to Tywon Lawson of Oak Hill Academy, who is on his way to North Carolina. I must say, I've seen Javaris play, and I am a fan of his game. And at 6-4, he's going to be a beast in the ACC at the PG spot. I'm looking for a lot of Jason Kidd type numbers from him. He could be a 15ppg 5reb 5ast. guy as a frosh, and be a triple double threat every game.

17. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

[​IMG]
    ^That guy looks exactly like Mutombo.

18. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">[​IMG]

19. J_Ray

Darrell Arthur class 2006 all-american

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">James Mays, the head coach at Dallas South Oak Cliff, told Scout.com that his star Darrell Arthur has most of the information he needs to make a decision. At this point, no new official visits are in the works.
    ?The visits are pretty much over with,? Mays said. ?Right now we?re going to make a decision. There?s not enough time (to make official visits) and he?s got too many obligations right now.?

The coach said Arthur, a McDonald?s All-American selection, doesn?t have a particular time frame for the decision. ?We?re not on a timetable; we haven?t been on a timetable since day one. The way I want my kids to be recruited is that you take your time and when you are comfortable you make a decision. It?s not like he?ll be searching for a place to play.?

Mays is right, Arthur won?t be short on suitors. With the elimination of Indiana following Mike Davis? resignation, Kansas, Baylor and SMU remain from the original list. The coach said that a few schools have come in but wasn?t sure of their overall involvement.

?We?re going to leave it with what we got now. We decided to entertain Texas, UConn and Arizona. It wasn?t a big stretch to do that because they were on the outside a while.

?They?re pretty involved. I don?t know the extent like the other schools but they?re involved.? </div>

Whoever gets him will be happy [​IMG]

20. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

Soto Is Florida's Player Of Year

Former Miami Tropics point guard Josue Soto, who was named Florida's Class 2A Player of the Year after last season, now has an even bigger honor to show for his senior season.

Soto, who was born in Arencibo, Puerto Rico, was named Florida's Gatorade Player of the Year on Tuesday. The award is given to just one player per state, regardless of classification.

"This is such a special accomplishment for Josue," said Art "Pilin" Alvarez, the Miami Tropics Coach who helped bring Soto to prominence before he even began playing high school ball in the United States. "Josue and I are real close.

"Josue started playing for me in the summer of his 9th-grade year. And even at age 14, he was going head to head with players such as Darius Washington (now a starter at the University of Memphis) and Taurean Green (a starter with the Florida Gators). Both of those guys are in the NCAA Tournament now, and yet Josue did very well against them, winning MVP in a tournament in Miami.

"I'm just really happy for Josue. It's a huge deal for him."

It is the second straight year that a native Puerto Rican has won the award. Last year, Walter Hodge won it on his way to signing with the University of Florida.

Soto, who has signed with Florida State, earned the recognition by leading Jacksonville Arlington Country Day to back-to-back state titles and a 52-6 record during his two-year prep career in the United States.

As a senior, Soto averaged 17.6 points, 9.6 assists and 3.2 steals per game to lead ACD (27-3) to a No. 15 national ranking by USA Today. The Apaches were undefeated against Florida schools and were the only team from the state to earn a national ranking,

Winning the Florida Gatorade award makes him eligible for the national honor, which will be announced at the end of the month.

But what makes the Gatorade award even more special is that it honors the player who best combines standout athletic talent with academic achievement and overall character.

With those criteria in mind, the Gatorade panel of experts made a great choice in Soto, who is an exceptionally mature young man with a 3.45 grade-point average.

"Josue is the best player and person I've ever coached," said ACD's Rex Morgan, a former NBA player. "He is an unselfish kid who makes everyone around him better."

Soto is just the second Jacksonville player to win the Gatorade honor since the award was first created in 1986. The first was Jacksonville Jackson guard James Collins in 1993.

Miami leads with seven all-time winners, but none since Lucas Barnes in 1996 - a decade-long drought. Miami High is the most prolific school with three Gatorade winners, but none since 1992.

The most famous of the 20 previous winners is Vince Carter, the current NBA star who won it while playing for Daytona Beach Mainland in 1995.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

PREVIOUS WINNERS

2005 - Walter Hodge, Florida Air Academy (now at Florida)

2004 - Darius Washington, Orlando Edgewater (now at Memphis)

2003 - Chris Richard, Lakeland Kathleen (now at Florida)

2002 - Yusef Baker, Orlando Evans

2001 - Jackie Manuel, West Palm Beach

2000 - Nick Smith, Valrico Bloomingdale

1999 - Casey Sanders, Tampa Prep

1998 - Teddy DuPay, Mariner Cape Coral

1997 - Myron Anthony, Neptune Beach Fletcher

1996 - Lucas Barnes, South Miami

1995 - Vince Carter, Daytona Beach Mainland

1994 - Charlie Miller, South Miami

1993 - James Collins, Jacksonville Jackson

1992 - Stevie Edwards, Miami High

1991 - Ochiel Swaby, North Miami