Six Forwards for Two Spots

Discussion in 'Atlanta Hawks' started by Shapecity, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">A government numbers cruncher isn't needed to solve the Hawks' logjam at the forward positions.

A pre-schooler could figure this one out.

There are two starting spots and no fewer than five players vying for the jobs and rotation minutes. Hawks coach Mike Woodson insists that who starts games is far less important than who finishes.

It's a sound theory but one hard to sell to first-, second- and third-year NBA players focused on helping the Hawks rebound from years of losing and on establishing identities of their own.

That's why training camp is more like a month-long audition for many of the players involved, namely third-year players Josh Smith and Josh Childress, second-year players Marvin Williams and Esteban Batista and rookies Shelden Williams and Solomon Jones.

"I know for me personally, that's my approach. I'm definitely treating this as an open competition," Marvin Williams said. "Especially for me, after not starting last year and trying to come back at another level this year. This camp is just totally different to me, the vibe is totally different. We're all competing at a different level than a year ago.

"But we're all in this together, too. I want Josh to get better just like I know he wants me to get better. And we're all here for Solomon and Shelden. So it's a good feeling knowing that we're all in this together."

Smith said he hasn't even wondered about who's going to start.

"It's not a matter of who does or does not start," he said, "it's about what you do when you are out there on that floor."

Smith and Marvin Williams would appear to be the easy answers as the starters at power forward and small forward, respectively. Based on their performances last year, particularly during the latter stages of the season, and the fact that they complement each other well, playing them together makes the most sense.

With training camp two days old, however, Woodson is taking his time in making those decisions.

"There's no question both Josh and Marvin have earned the right to play minutes this year based not only on what they did last season but on the work they put in over the summer," Woodson said of his young and talented tandem ?- both Smith and Williams are 6 feet 9, more than 230 pounds and just 20 years old. "They worked their [tails] off to put themselves in a position to help us. So I absolutely think those two guys can start for this team. But I don't think you give a starting job to a guy just to be giving it.

"That's why guys like Solomon and Shelden, and even a veteran like Lorenzen Wright, have to earn big minutes on this team."</div>

Source