Allen: I Don't Have My Swagger Back Yet

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by Shapecity, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">WALTHAM -- Doc Rivers told the rent-a-refs at practice yesterday to call scrimmages tight for two reasons. First, he wanted players to learn the importance of running back on defense and not waste time debating calls. Second, he hoped to encourage better overall defense with players more attentive to proper positioning.

Important lessons for a team that amassed 2,033 personal fouls last season, the fourth-highest total in the league. By bringing referees to the team training facility, Rivers figures the Celtics can work on anger management in practice before it costs them games.

``I want to be a better defensive team, but I don't want to foul more doing it," said Rivers. ``We couldn't foul much more than we did last year anyway. It's pretty much impossible."

Even though the shortest of conversations with the referees earned a technical during the scrimmages, the players understood the benefit of such tough calls.

``It's getting us ready," said Paul Pierce. ``We had a lot of weaknesses throughout our season last year with a lot of fouls. We were one of the leaders in fouls called from a year ago. So, it's good to get these [referees] out there and Coach tells them to call it tight. We want to be able to play solid defense without fouling. We've got to practice it now, so we don't get in the game and get those technicals. Those are the little things that can help us lose."</div>

Source

2. CeltixQueen

CeltixQueen JBB JustBBall Member

I can see this. Tony Allen has not been himself in the few preseason games. I think it is mandatory for him to have a good season in order for the Celtics to be successful. He can be so good defensively, but he can be a big help on offense too. He needs to regain his "attitude." He just seems hesitant to do a lot of things, I hope he has recovered from his surgery completely, they need him.