Raptors' Ford expresses concern about new NBA ball

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by Drunkballer, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Drunkballer

Drunkballer JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    MICHAEL GRANGE

Globe and Mail Update

TORONTO ? When the Toronto Raptors traded for T.J. Ford, it was with visions of the speedy point guard helping them launch an up-tempo attack, based on Ford's proven ability to push the ball and find teammates on the break.

Ford is all for it, but thinks he'll have to change tactics based on the new edition of the National Basketball Association's game ball.

"I don't think you'll see too many long bounce passes," said Ford, who liked to use the difficult pass to thread the needle in transition. "Once the ball hits the floor it kind of sticks."

Ford is just the latest in a long line of NBA players that have expressed their discomfort with the new ball. Made by Spalding, it replaces the old leather model with a ball made of a synthetic composite.

The new ball looks different because it's made of two interlocking, cross-shaped panels rather than the eight oblong panels found on traditional basketballs. As a result, Spaldling claims, there is more material coverage.

The move from leather ? only the second change to the NBA ball in league history, and the first in 35 years ? is also supposed to improve the grip and feel throughout the course of a game.

As well the composite material eliminates the need for a break-in period, which is necessary for the current leather ball, and achieves consistency from ball to ball.

But so far the only consistency is the complaints, with the likes of Shaquille O'Neal, Dwayne Wade and Steve Nash criticizing everything from the new ball's feel to the way it gets slippery when covered in perspiration.

While league rule require one ball to be used throughout a game, there is the possibility that balls will be rotated into play if they prove to be problematic when wet.

David Stern, NBA commissioner, has defended the new ball, but has left the door open to going back to leather if the new ball's faults are proven in further testing. But speaking in Germany yesterday, he predicted the complaints would fade once players got more familiar with the new ball.

"As the players get more used to it, it will become less and less of an issue for us," Stern said.

Ford ? like all NBA players ? got the new ball to practice with midway through the summer. And even though he played with a composite ball while at the University of Texas, hasn't found the transition from leather back to composite particularly pleasing.

"It feel like an outdoor ball," he said. "When it gets wet it's hard to handle."

And he says he's slowly going to removing the long bounce pass from his repertoire. "I can't do it," he said. "The new ball doesn't slide like the leather ball. I tried one in the [intrasquad] game and I got a turnover." </div>

Link

hmm i really didn't make much of the early critcism but it seems like a more legetimate argument is being made against this new ball.

2. hustler

hustler Revving up the Engine

Even more bad news of the new ball.

3. Iggy

Iggy Iggy

Let's just hope everyone gets used to it by the regular season.

4. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

ford complains a lot. today he inferred that the turnovers were the result of his teammates not being in the right spots, whatever happened to its always the passers responsibility?

5. AirJordan

AirJordan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">deception Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">ford complains a lot. today he inferred that the turnovers were the result of his teammates not being in the right spots, whatever happened to its always the passers responsibility?</div>

no it isnt, the teammates also are responsible for the turnovers

6. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class="quote_poster">deception Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">ford complains a lot. today he inferred that the turnovers were the result of his teammates not being in the right spots, whatever happened to its always the passers responsibility?</div>
    lol, 2 incidents shows that he complains a lot? Come on now...

7. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">lol, 2 incidents shows that he complains a lot? Come on now...</div>

i believe in trends

8. Drunkballer

Drunkballer JBB JustBBall Member

T.J ford complaint seems pretty legitimate. I mean if the new ball affects his ability to throw a long bounce pass eg. it sticks too much and he can't slide it along the floor, or it gets wet and subsquently slippery therefore affecting things like ballhandling, shooting and passing than its a legitimate complaint.

Nash isn't known as a complainer and he had negative words to say about the new ball.

9. rafy

rafy JBB JustBBall Member

I'm going to go out and affirm that he really shouldn't have said anything except that it was his fault for making the turnovers. However I was watching the game, and I have to agree. Most of the guys had no clue where they were supposed to go. He usually just drove to the left or right through the lane, get trapped by like 3 guys under the hoop, and nobody would cut. It's hard not to turn it over when you have to always chuck it back out to the 3 line.