Preseason: Nets @ Raptors

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by hustler, Oct 15, 2006.

1. hustler

hustler Revving up the Engine

2. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

Rest/Staff wants to see how the team is without him.

Ford has 9 assists but has missed atleast 4/5 fairly easy layups.

We take too many quick shots and jumpers. And on the other hand, we give up too many 3's and easy jumpers.

3. hustler

We caught up and we're trailling by 4.

4. Iggy

Iggy Iggy

We up by 4 now!

5. rafy

rafy JBB JustBBall Member

raptors win, raptors win, raptors win.

Sweet jesus can kris humpy ever miss layups.

6. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

Raptors won 119-110

Carter was 5-15, I wondering who was guarding him, Parker? Mo Pete? Tucker?

Tucker had 18 pts, 6-7 FG, 6-7 FT
    Calderon 9 pts, 6 rbs, 5 assists
    Ford 10 pts, 11 assists
    Humphries 11 pts, 12 rebounds
    Parker 8 pts, 4 boards, 5 assists

7. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

A win against the Nets is sweet, even if it just the preseason. I'm glad that they finally decided to play the bench players more, instead of just the starters.

How was Bargnani as a starter?

8. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

From what I know, Bargs played well. He hit consecutive 3's in the 2nd (or 3rd) and made some nice passes out of the post. He was also effective in the pick and roll a couple of times. However, he was in a bit of foul trouble, limiting his minutes. I believe their were 2 or 3 offensive fouls on moving screens, some were supposedly bs calls.

VC's poor FG% is a result of his shot selection (quick jumpers in the run in gun), though he made his last few and shot his last 5 or 6 shots at a high percentage.

Humphries and Tucker were huge. Humphries had a nasty block and crashed the boards (offensive rebounding as good) and Tucker was effective, scoring 18 in 22 minutes. They're both gritty players and I can't wait to see them in action this year .

9. Gotrunks226

Gotrunks226 JBB JustBBall Member

Bosh wasn't in the lineup cuz of a sore ankle.. so precautionary reasons and due to preseason, he wasn't in. PJ Tucker killed it for the Raptors. Great player, and make it tough for Mitchell to decide who to play. Fred Jones left the game with a sore wrist or injury of some sort after falling while trying to dunk over Ilic.

10. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

observations

the NETS
    -looked in mid season form with their offensive sets
    -vince was more socialite than basketball player
    -jay williams looked good, nothing spectacular though

Tucker and Humpries
    -tucker and humpries should be called the "bash" brothers
    -humpries manhandled his opponents
    -tucker should be ahead of graham in the rotation in world without politics
    -fyi- tucker was played at the four

Rasho
    -rasho takes a lot chances offensively, in particular with his passing

Bargnani
    -bargnani appears to be single-minded in his approach, he doesn't appear to speak with other players
    -defensively he disrupted the nets with his length
    -a really serene player offensive player
    -fyi his shot was on today

Ford
    -impressive, particularly his passing ability
    -missed a whole bunch of layups, conditioning might be an issue

Anthony Parker
    -played really well defensively
    -passed well but shoot poorly

Interesting Tidbits
    -vince hugged tannebaum (sp.) and kissed the owners wife on the cheek
    -the lights went out in the fourth quarter but they still played on after a momentary break with the emergency lights i suspect (backup generator?)

11. dunksworth

dunksworth JBB JustBBall Member

Observations:

- Humphries was the man this game. He had major problems finishing his plays, but you gotta love his aggressiveness. He seems like a natural at going after the boards and is willing to push ppl around in order to get them. The problem though is finding a spot for him w/ such a deep frontcourt.
    - PJ Tucker w/ 18pts. If I'm Joey Graham, I'd be freaking out cuz it looks like he's gonna lose a lot of minutes to this guy. For a relatively small guy, he knows how to play inside against guys 6" taller than him. Also great at finishing on the break and has a decent jumper. Looks like a steal if he can continue playing like that and continue improving.
    - TJ Ford... that last game had me worried about him, but the guy comes back with a great outing. At half-time, he already had 9 assists. Needs to improve on finishing around the bucket, but other than that, he had a solid game.
    - Bargnani also had a solid game. Got into foul trouble early so didn't play a lot, but when he did play, he made the most of it. What I like most about his game is his poise. He didn't seem worried about his foul situation and didn't try to force things either. He was calm and had a lot of confidence in his jump shot (which was falling today).
    - Anthony Parker picked things up late in the game. I was also worried about him cuz he was struggling prior to this, but you can tell the guy has good decision making skills. Knew when to pass and when to shoot.... good to see him making the adjustments to the nba.

I can go on with the analysis but that's it for now. I guess if you were to ask me to describe this team in one word it would be "deep". No longer do we have to play our starters 40+ minutes.... our second unit is arguably as good (or even better) than our starting lineup.

12. deception

and for those who dont have raps tv- u guys should know that sherman hamilton (http://www.canoe.ca/2000GamesBiosA2M/hamilton.html) steals every broadcast with his humour.

To that end, my favourite exchange this afternoon was between chuck and shermen in regards to the play fred jones got hurt on. for those who missed it- fred jones tried to dunk on some dude on a 3 on 1 fast break and nearly hurt his wrist in a bad way. well after the game- chuck was boring us again with his typical sycophantic worship for raptor players by suggesting fred jones was doing it just for the excitement value and should be praised for it. sherm retorted, ?he should have passed?, and that was the correct basketball play. chuck then solicits the help of the fans around the studio by asking them if they wanted see a dunk or pass to which they cheer wildly for the dunk. then sherm asks those same fans if they wanted to see fred jones hurt in a preseason game and of course silence prevailed. i love when chucks gets punk?d .

13. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

<div class="quote_poster">deception Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    Ford
    -impressive, particularly his passing ability
    -missed a whole bunch of layups, conditioning might be an issue</div>

I'd count about 4-5 miss layups, but he made two slick ones after.

At first I though the new ball might of been the reason for him him missing those point blank layups, but then I was told it's been an issue since his Buck days.

14. deception

<div class="quote_poster">P.A.P. Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'd count about 4-5 miss layups, but he made two slick ones after.

At first I though the new ball might of been the reason for him him missing those point blank layups, but then I was told it's been an issue since his Buck days.</div>

what shocked me was that he was all alone on some of them

15. dunksworth

dunksworth JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">deception Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">and for those who dont have raps tv- u guys should know that sherman hamilton (http://www.canoe.ca/2000GamesBiosA2M/hamilton.html) steals every broadcast with his humour.

To that end, my favourite exchange this afternoon was between chuck and shermen in regards to the play fred jones got hurt on. for those who missed it- fred jones tried to dunk on some dude on a 3 on 1 fast break and nearly hurt his wrist in a bad way. well after the game- chuck was boring us again with his typical sycophantic worship for raptor players by suggesting fred jones was doing it just for the excitement value and should be praised for it. sherm retorted, ?he should have passed?, and that was the correct basketball play. chuck then solicits the help of the fans around the studio by asking them if they wanted see a dunk or pass to which they cheer wildly for the dunk. then sherm asks those same fans if they wanted to see fred jones hurt in a preseason game and of course silence prevailed. i love when chucks gets punk?d .</div>
    I agree, Sherm's the man... I'm just waiting for the day when he replaces Leo on the broadcast team.

And yeah, I must've yelled out "shut the hell up Chuck" ten times during that particular exchange. What got me annoyed was when Chuck was accusing Sherm of bashing Jones for just that one play... I mean, c'mon, Sherm was just pointing out that he made the wrong decision, he was by no means bashing him. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Chuck, you seriously need to tone down your homerisms....

16. hustler

Sweet win, proves what we can do with Bosh out.

PS: 7 players on the team have scored double digits.

17. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

<div class="quote_poster">deception Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    To that end, my favourite exchange this afternoon was between chuck and shermen in regards to the play fred jones got hurt on. for those who missed it- fred jones tried to dunk on some dude on a 3 on 1 fast break and nearly hurt his wrist in a bad way. well after the game- chuck was boring us again with his typical sycophantic worship for raptor players by suggesting fred jones was doing it just for the excitement value and should be praised for it. sherm retorted, ?he should have passed?, and that was the correct basketball play. chuck then solicits the help of the fans around the studio by asking them if they wanted see a dunk or pass to which they cheer wildly for the dunk. then sherm asks those same fans if they wanted to see fred jones hurt in a preseason game and of course silence prevailed. i love when chucks gets punk?d .</div>

From someone on RealGM:
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    <font size="1"> Sherm: On that play, I am glad (Jones) isn't hurt, but a 3 on 1, you have to pass.

Chuck: The fans like to see slam dunks.

Sherm: Yeah, it would have been a spectacular play, but 3 on 1, you got to get a score or you made a bad play.

Chuck: Why are you taking one play to bash the guy?

Sherm: I'm not. I am saying on that one play, you have to get a score, on 3 on 1.

Chuck: How many free throws has Jones had over the preseason? Why are you bashing him for one play?

Sherm: I'm not bashing him for one play, I am saying ON that one play...

Chuck: If I go to your closet, and see 150 ties...

etc.</font> </div>

[​IMG]

18. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Ahh man, I wish I could've seen that ownage. I hate Chuck...

19. deception

<div class="quote_poster">P.A.P. Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">From someone on RealGM:

[​IMG]</div>

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Ahh man, I wish I could've seen that ownage. I hate Chuck...</div>

chuck was threating to blog about it, so make sure u check it out tomorrow. i think he thought he could out wit an ex basketball player, guess not. btw, he's had some run-ins with doug smith in the past as well and those ones ended with smitty raising his voice, believe it or not.

20. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class="quote_poster">deception Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">chuck was threating to blog about it, so make sure u check it out tomorrow. i think he thought he could out wit an ex basketball player, guess not. btw, he's had some run-ins with doug smith in the past as well and those ones ended with smitty raising his voice, believe it or not.</div>
    I hope it turns out to be the second coming of the Kobe incident. I can see him running back to his blog, because it's like a safe place for him. He's with the rest of MLSE buddies and he screens his e-mails for suckups and morons. He's been exposed as an idiot quite a few times on his radio show (usually not about basketball, since everyone talks about hockey/baseball at his timeslot).