Enemy Lines: Toronto Raptors

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by Chutney, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">An opposing team's scout sizes up the Raptors

They've got some stability now that Bryan Colangelo is there for the long term, and they have a coach in Sam Mitchell who is opening his third year in Toronto. But they also have a lot of new pieces that have got to come together. They've brought over several players from Europe who are not inexperienced; the issue with them is whether they're good enough. And some of the NBA veterans they've acquired also bring questions with them ... </div>
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketbal...es/raptors.html

2. Iggy

Iggy Iggy

Interesting analysist. Thanks for posting this Chutney, its nice to see other teams' point of view on us. The Raptors are one big question mark, its all about how well we work together. We are all aware of everyones capablilities so the only thing we need to to worry about is team chemistry.

3. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

NBA officials, employees, insiders, etc. all seem to be cautiously optimistic about our team, which is the approach I've taken. The team has some serious depth and talent, but the effects of our coaching, chemistry, and our players adjusting to a new game are really difficult to predict.

4. a13x

a13x JBB JustBBall Member

Some stuff there I thought was interesting:

1) they noted bosh as being a good defender. Bosh is capable of playing good d, but last year I wouldn't say that he always did. This is a hard topic to evaluate since our perimeter defense left our bigs exposed all the time last year and bosh played heavy minutes so he was probably frequently tired.
    2) they noted Peterson as being a bad defender. I wouldn't say this is true either but it brings up a good point, that we over-rate mopete on d. He does draw a lot of charges but I really wouldn't but rate him as top of the line.
    3) noting chris humphries has a big body and short arms ... sounds like someone else we know...

Overall good analysis. I like SI's analysis way better than ESPN, as they can usually back up what they say.

On a side note, the other thing I've noticed about every sport's writers analysis is they are dead scared of evaluating Bargnani. I guess everyone is pretty much waiting for the regular season. He has shown promise so far but we'll have to wait and see when the regular season starts.

5. Eclipse

Eclipse JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">a13x Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Some stuff there I thought was interesting:

2) they noted Peterson as being a bad defender. I wouldn't say this is true either but it brings up a good point, that we over-rate mopete on d. He does draw a lot of charges but I really wouldn't but rate him as top of the line.
    </div>

He never said Peterson was a bad defender. He just says that he's not a "great" defender (which he isn't). He's an above average defender.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Though he's not a great defender he plays hard and seems to put the team first.</div>

6. a13x

a13x JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Eclipse Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">He never said Peterson was a bad defender. He just says that he's not a "great" defender (which he isn't). He's an above average defender.</div>

My bad. I ya i agree with your take. I just think it's funny that people will put him in the same category as some of the better defenders out there (playing his position).

7. Eclipse

Eclipse JBB JustBBall Member

He looks good compared to the other guys on our team.

It's kind of like how girls hang out with ugly girls to make themselves look better [​IMG]