100 Shots Per Game?

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by Shapecity, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">When he first broached the subject as a rookie coach in his first month on the job, it was thought to be preposterous, the ramblings of an ambitious newbie who was surely out of his mind.

Today, however, when Sam Mitchell brings up this "100 shots a game" goal of his, the eyes aren't so quick to roll and the possibility doesn't seem so remote. "Why not?" Mitchell asked yesterday. "We got up 98 against New Jersey and only two of them were bad shots. If we run like we want to run, we can get to 100."

An upgrade in talent ? the back end of the roster is far more capable now of running and scoring than it has been at any time during Mitchell's tenure ? and the willingness of players to buy into the scheme make it remotely possible that, every now and then, Toronto may shatter the 100-shot barrier.

"We have the athletes who can do it, we have the guys to do it," Morris Peterson said after the team's workout at the Air Canada Centre yesterday. "We've got guys who can come off the bench who are just as capable as the starters."</div>

Source

I hope the Raptors vs. Suns is a nationally televised game.

2. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

mitchell has been preaching this for the last 3 pre-seasons and our reporters in the t.dot re-brand it every year for their respective papers

3. AirJordan

AirJordan JBB JustBBall Member

they got 98 shots off with the nets so its possible

4. Eclipse

Eclipse JBB JustBBall Member

What's with his fascination of 100 shots/game? Maybe it equals an automatic win for him. Has he ever heard of quantity vs. quality?

5. og15

og15 JBB *********

100 shots a game is going back to the pace in the 60's. A guy like Bosh our best rebounder will be averaging close to 15 RPG in that scenario since teams will be grabbing like 60 rebounds each with that many shots fired up. I don't think it's truly realistic, I don't know if our players have the stamina for that, but it would be cool to see, I can't imagine getting so many good shots in that kind of pace though.

6. hustler

hustler Revving up the Engine

Why is Sam focusing so much on our offence?

7. Drunkballer

Drunkballer JBB JustBBall Member

I don't know that he is. This year he has started grading every player on their defensive effort. If Sam had a focus this year i would say its the players conditioning.

Nevertheless, The teams identity will be the sum of its part & i think judging by our personell we are more of an offensive team.

8. AirJordan

<div class="quote_poster">og15 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">100 shots a game is going back to the pace in the 60's. A guy like Bosh our best rebounder will be averaging close to 15 RPG in that scenario since teams will be grabbing like 60 rebounds each with that many shots fired up. I don't think it's truly realistic, I don't know if our players have the stamina for that, but it would be cool to see, I can't imagine getting so many good shots in that kind of pace though.</div>

out of the 98 shots taken against new jersey only 2 were bad shots

9. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

It will be interesting that is to say the least. I look forward to the season opener and 100 shots lol.

10. AirJordan

i doubt we'd have 100 shots down by the opener lol

11. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">hustler Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Why is Sam focusing so much on our offence?</div>Maybe it's because your defense is pretty horrid and won't get too much better by this season.

As for the 100 shots a game, that'd be pretty impressive. If they're doing that though, they're not going to be playing much defense, just like the Suns. So, if they're shooters are off for a night, they're not going to have too much luck.

12. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

It all depends on how they approach it. Either this article, or another I read, calculated it based on average time per opponent's possession and possessions per game and came up with the fact that most of the Raptor's possessions would have to be 8-10 seconds. That's probably why Sam's doing the 8 sec. drill with the players in practice. Just limiting the time for your possessions is not the right approach IMO. It all starts with defensive rebounding. If they limit second chance shots and find the outlet pass quickly, this goal is easily within our reach and it would affect our offense and defense.

13. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">AirJordan Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">out of the 98 shots taken against new jersey only 2 were bad shots</div>
    Yes, now the problem comes in doing that every single game.

14. deception

<div class="quote_poster">og15 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yes, now the problem comes in doing that every single game.</div>

its sounds more like an aspiration than anything else; 80 on a night to night basis seems more do-able

15. AirJordan

im pretty sure teams without that big guy in the paint like big ben or shaq are starting to do it, which is also the reason i think raptors are doing it. all u need is a point gaurd like nash (tj ford) and a guy like marion, dirk, bosh, etc and since bosh has added the 3 pointer to his arsenal that just helps us more. we have good guys surrounding bosh and ford in the starting 5 and we also have a respectable bench

16. Gotrunks226

Gotrunks226 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">hustler Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Why is Sam focusing so much on our offence?</div>

Well during the NBA TV training camp thing with the Raptors. Sam said, run up and down the floor as much as you can because "We (raptors) are the best and most conditioned team out there." So if you just keep running up and down, the other team will get tired and just stand around on offense and it would make it easier to defend them, since they are tired, most of the players won't cut/slash to the basket and won't do the little things needed to be done because of their stamina.

So i'm assuming thats why he's focusing on offense more, especially with that 9 second shot clock drill.

17. deception

i forgot to mention this but the raps looked awful at times, forcing up shots to hit that 100 shot benchmark

18. AirJordan

How are the raptors the most conditioned team out there?