TJ close to signing longterm pact?

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by norespect, Oct 30, 2006.

1. norespect

norespect JBB gotta nuke something...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">TORONTO (CP) - T.J. Ford is poised to a sign a longterm deal with the Toronto Raptors.

A source close to the negotiations confirmed the point guard's agent Arn Tellem and Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo were ironing out the final details of a contract extension Monday.

"They're very, very close to working out a deal. They're just working on a couple of legal issues," the source told The Canadian Press.

The deadline for the Raptors to sign Ford to a contract extension is midnight Tuesday.

If the Raptors don't sign Ford before the deadline, the 23-year-old will become a restricted free agent at the end of this season. The Raptors would be able to match any offer he receives</div>

I hope they didn't overpay....
    Full Story
    http://www.tsn.ca/nba/news_story/?ID=182420&hubname=

2. Karma

Karma The Will Must Be Stronger Than The Skill

I heard somewhere (forgot where) it's a 5 year contract.

3. Iggy

Iggy Iggy

<div class="quote_poster">Junoon Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I heard somewhere (forgot where) it's a 5 year contract.</div>

Hmm, that's pretty long. How much do you think they're offering per year? 8 mil?

4. Dr. J. Naismith

Dr. J. Naismith JBB JustBBall Member

Ugh, 3 years $25 million and a 4th as an option could possibly make it $34 million. This kid better bring it because that's waaaaay too much for someone who's yet to make an impact in this league. I thought a similiar extension like the one the Sonics just offered Ridnour (3 yrs., $18 million) is something more reasonable for someone like Ford too.

I hope TJ proves me wrong, but I don't like it one bit.

5. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

Luke Ridnour got a 19.5 mill contract over 3 years and Sonic fans don't seem to thrilled about it.

I hope we don't end up paying 9 mill per year for TJ, seems kind of high. (deja vu with Alvin Williams? except with a bigger contract)

I don't think any team will offer TJ 34 mill over 4 years as a restricted free agent.

6. Dr. J. Naismith

Dr. J. Naismith JBB JustBBall Member

The Chicago Tribune are reporting a 5 year deal worth about $8.2 million per season.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">T.J. Ford, drafted one spot behind Kirk Hinrich in 2003, agreed to a five-year extension with the Raptors on Monday that averages roughly $8.2 million per season.

The Bulls have offered Hinrich more than that but less than what his camp wants. Hinrich still is tempted by five years of security.

If Hinrich doesn't accept the Bulls' final five-year offer by 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, he becomes a restricted free agent next off-season. That allows the Bulls to match any offers for him.

Coincidentally, Ford's old team, the Bucks, will have significant salary cap room and be in the market for a point guard.</div>

Link - <font color=""Red"">Click here</font>

7. Skiptomylue11

Hmmm it seems 8.2 mill might be a tad high, I wonder what TJ's value would have given him if he had hit the market.

Ridnour got an average of 6 mill. Is TJ worth 8.2 mill?

8. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I think Hinrich's deal may have inflated his contract near the end. I'm also hesitant like you guys. I thought 8 mill would be the max he could get and even that was a big committment in him. Well, at least we know who will make or break this franchise for the next 4-5 years: Bosh, Ford, and Bargnani.

9. rafy

rafy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I think Hinrich's deal may have inflated his contract near the end. I'm also hesitant like you guys. I thought 8 mill would be the max he could get and even that was a big committment in him. Well, at least we know who will make or break this franchise for the next 4-5 years: Bosh, Ford, and Bargnani.</div>

I don't know about you guys. But I'm very, very happy with those three dudes as our core.

10. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Same, considering they're aged 23, 22, and 21 respectively. It's still risky (especially with Ford's contract), but you're essentially filling the 3 most important (and difficult to find) positions if they all pan out.

11. Skiptomylue11

I want to keep Mo Pete. I think he is a very important piece last year. He was a pretty efficient scorer and defender, and didn't hog the ball too much or anything, but could step up when needed.

12. Eclipse

Eclipse JBB JustBBall Member

Too much. That's the kind of money you give a point guard that can actually shoot or play some defence.